Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnathan123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
I brought my new MacBook Pro 14" 3 weeks ago. While I clean my MacBook screen a few days ago, I found small oil dirt. When I try to wipe it, the area of the dirt becomes larger. It took me a while to completely clean that area. I think I wipe it too much, and I am scared that I cause some damage to the screen. After that, I found this kind of micro-scratch which can only be visible under a flashlight at a certain angle. Even though it is not obvious, I am still so annoyed about this because of the expensive cost of this machine. Is there any way to get rid of it? or How can I prevent this happened again. I only use the microfibre cloth from Apple and I did use any cleaning agent even the water. However I still destroy my screen ... If I wipe the screen too much, will it destroy the anti-reflective coating on the screen? Is there anyone have the same situation too? There is one follow up question. Fortunately, I brought the Apple care + for my MacBook. Lets say If I keep using my MacBook for 1 years with more and more this kind of scratches. Is it possible to replace the screen with the apple care even though the screen is usable?

IMG_6817.PNG

Diablo360

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
There was probably a small spec of dirt on the screen, and it got trapped under your microfiber cloth when you wiped. if it’s not too noticeable I wouldn’t worry about it as the screen is bound to collect hairline scratches as you use it.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
You should see the micro-scratches on my much more expensive car!

You can damage the screen coatings if you clean too aggressively. Doesn't look like you've caused any serious damage.

Don't think AppleCare+ will cover cosmetic damage, much less damage you can only see with a flashlight.

Reactions: chabig

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
I returned a 14" MBP because of this. I was shocked at how easily it scratched. It's the coating, not the glass though. That said, I did buy another one lol. It's such a nice machine otherwise. This is what I do:

1) Blow dust off the keyboard, screen with blower
2) Very Gently (without pressing down, just sweeping) wipe off keyboard and screen with microfiber (shake out microfiber first)
3) Clean screen with Zeiss wipes
4) Shake out microfiber cloth, fold up nice, wipe the screen (with slight force) to remove Zeiss wipe residue

It sounds like a lot but it will become second nature and take a couple of minutes. I do it like once a week. Always blow the dust off the keyboard deck before shutting the lid.

As for the current scratch you have, if you can't see it while the screen is on, I wouldn't worry.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 5.30.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 5.30.36 AM.png

Reactions: Jeven Stobs

Johnathan123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
Thanks for you guys kindly reply. Yes, you guys are right. That kind of scratch is unavailable as I use my machine for a longer time. I would use you guys recommendation to avoid further damages to my screen. However, i start wondering if I keep use it for around 1 -2year, and the coating start to peeling off. Can I go to apple store and pay the money to replace the new one ?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
That scratch is so minor and looks like it would not harm resale value. If you don't see it causing rainbow lines on your screen in use, I wouldn't worry about it.

The "film" however, is actually a chemical coating. Those don't really peel off like a screen protector but rather absorb some of the abuse, repel fingerprints, cut down on glare, etc. It shouldn't wear off over time unless you're constantly using your MacBook Pro like an iPad for some reason OR excessively cleaning it.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"When I try to wipe it, the area of the dirt becomes larger. It took me a while to completely clean that area. I think I wipe it too much, and I am scared that I cause some damage to the screen."

The WORST THING YOU CAN DO with a MacBook Pro display is to "keep cleaning it".

The MBP's (since the inception of the retina display) have a VERY THIN "sprayed-on" anti-glare coating that is quite fragile.

Make too much of an attempt to "clean it" -- and it starts flaking off and becomes damaged.

Hence, the condition known as "StainGate".

One should NOT rub on it with a dry cloth, even a micro-fiber cloth.

Just "dust away" loose particles on the surface -- no pressure.
If something won't come off, MOISTEN a soft cloth and again, use as little pressure as possible.
Then, "dust dry".

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd spray your microfiber cloth with some water and try again. That mark could be a smear of some other substance rather than a scratch. I get these all the time on my macbook pro 14. I don't eat in front if it so I figure it must be air pollution or finger grease transferring from the keys to screen when the lid is closed(gross).

Even if it's a scratch it's a very minor one.

Johnathan123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
I'd spray your microfiber cloth with some water and try again. That mark could be a smear of some other substance rather than a scratch. I get these all the time on my macbook pro 14. I don't eat in front if it so I figure it must be air pollution or finger grease transferring from the keys to screen when the lid is closed(gross).

Even if it's a scratch it's a very minor one.
I think that is really a scratches. Because I can't wipe it off ...

Johnathan123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2020
Definitely looks like a very very light hairline scratch
Yes. Fortunately, you cannot see it under strong natural light even though you look up close. It can only be visible under a flashlight. I know that if I use it longer period, this kind of scratch is unavoidable. Just feel sad I got this scratcher after I purchased it 3 weeks.

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
Don’t be worried about the coating, it will hold up fine for years. I used to clean my MBP I’ve had for 4 years excessively, some times once a week some times once a day. The screen has a whole lot of these micro scratches, which happens when dirt particles get between the cloth and the screen, but the coating is fine.
You can get rid of these scratches and you can prevent them unless you pre-wipe your screen and always take a specially cleaned cloth, which really isn’t worth it.
It’s a tool, tread it like one.

Reactions: Six0Four

badsimian

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2015
I've had a couple on mine as well. This screen is the most easily scratchable I have had on a MacBook and I have had several.

Simos.805

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2017
Athens, Greece
I returned a 14" MBP because of this. I was shocked at how easily it scratched. It's the coating, not the glass though. That said, I did buy another one lol. It's such a nice machine otherwise. This is what I do:

2) Very Gently (without pressing down, just sweeping) wipe off keyboard and screen with microfiber (shake out microfiber first)
4) Shake out microfiber cloth, fold up nice, wipe the screen (with slight force) to remove Zeiss wipe residue

It sounds like a lot but it will become second nature and take a couple of minutes. I do it like once a week. Always blow the dust off the keyboard deck before shutting the lid.

As for the current scratch you have, if you can't see it while the screen is on, I wouldn't worry.

View attachment 1993154 View attachment 1993155
That’s exactly the steps I’m following to clean my MacBook, but scratches like those have appeared to my display too! I think it’s inevitable…

Reactions: Six0Four

Simos.805

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2017
Athens, Greece
Swirl marks. Maybe don't look at your car's paintwork under direct sunlight either lol
For a car is normal to have scratches like those… it is a thing that sits all day outside, it is running on the road with increased speeds (so dust on the air, bugs etc hit the paint) and at the end it isn’t something you relay on looking at it.
A display is meant for looking at it, from very close distances, so the scratches on it are very more of a problem than the scratches on a car’s paint.

Cancelled
Apr 11, 2018
Is the AR-coating softer in MBP 14" and 16" or did people just happen to notice it with them for some reason?
I just got my MBP 14" and luckily it was scratch free from the factory and I want to keep it that way. I was just worried that because I'm going to use mine almost exclusively in clamshell mode and since display seem to collect tiny dust particles over time, do these get "baked" in? I actually had this hairline scratch problem with my MBP 13" 2019 which had some small hairline scratch from the factory and later on I noticed that even using soft clean microfibre cloth caused pretty easily more hairline scratches, so IMHO AR-coating was very soft back then, so is it even worse now?
My previous MBA M1 I managed to keep for 19 months or so without any hairline scratch at all, but that one I actually never wiped with anything, I just use rubber bulb duster but that really did not remove all the small particles so I think those might have stuck pretty hard but I never tried to remove them (I was going to do so before selling it, but deal with new buyer happened so quickly one day I had barely time to restore it to factory defaults, so I never tried wiping it).

I'm just wondering if I should just keep using rubber bulb duster and just let small particles that it cannot remove be there? There is just one more variable with my new MBP 14" because I'm using it almost only in clamshell mode with display lid closed always, so display get more heat. With my previous MacBooks I never used them in clamshell mode.

ch2856

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2018
Apple should have place a WARNING on the box of the white paper. They can't blame the use for that. I had 13 pro with the keyboard issue and bought this 14 pro since I can't live without one, it used for my daily work. And now, this.
I am going to meet Apple at the court for this.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
If you lightly wipe off your screen from time to time with a fluffy microfiber towel (a quality one, not a crap one you’d find at Walmart in the 5-for-$5 bin) and use a thin microfiber keyboard cover when you close your laptop you should be good to go.

Karthik0_0

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2023

4) Shake out microfiber cloth, fold up nice, wipe the sc (with slight force) to remove Zeiss wipe residue

Hey how is it holding up? Does it have any micro-scratches now?
Just bought a MacBook Air m2 and I'm sad because of the micro scratches on my screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.