I Give Up On Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by slide023, Nov 16, 2013.

1. slide023 macrumors member

slide023

For myself I give up! I'm am fed up with these spinning beach balls. I know it is not my 2012 MBA that is the problem, it's Mavericks.

Hats off and jolly fun to all who have no issues with mavericks, and I don't mean any disrespect, sincerely I don't.

But for me, and perhaps for thousands of others who are having issues of whatever sort, this has been a nightmare.

I've never encountered random beach balls like this ever.

And for all the nay sayers ......say what you will. But Mavericks is a bust!

Slide

2. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I see 'em occasionally here, and it's usually a signal to close and re-open Safari.

Shrug. So much else works so well.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

4. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Did you try clean install vs. upgrade to see if there was any improvement?

Sorry, just saw your posts in other thread, apparently you have....

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

I haven't had a single beach ball since Beta 1, maybe you're doing it wrong. And it's faster than Mountain Lion, too.

Try a clean install.

6. Deguello macrumors 6502

I didn't know there was a wrong way to move my cursor in Mavericks compared to Mountain Lion. I get them randomly on an Air and an iMac.

7. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

10.9.1 can't arrive soon enough.

8. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

No beach balls here, so I don't know. Did you do a clean install or upgrade?

9. Fontane macrumors regular

10. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear about your troubles. There are, of course, many reasons why the spinning ball can appear. Some are mentioned here.

I've read that some users are having problems with slow writes to hard disks, which could certainly cause the ball to be shown. If it's a driver problem, that's likely to be addressed in a future release. I've only seen the ball once or twice on my rMBP which, of course, has a SSD.

11. slide023, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

slide023 thread starter macrumors member

slide023

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the encouragement. Yea, I've done clean installs, also installed over top of ML. Yesterday I thought I had this beat. I used Tech Tools Pro 7 created an edrive booted up with that ran all the tests, rebuilt the directory and when I logged back into Mavericks 10.9.1 beta it seemed fine for a little while; then the beach balls were back.

I'm using a mid 2012 MBA 1.8GHz 4GB RAM 128 SSD......so I think it should run fine with that config.

I know you guys are right new releases are buggy, but honestly I've never seen one like this, and I've been using Macs for a long time.

I hope and am almost sure it's a bug in Mavs.....it's great that a lot of folks are not having issues. Guess, I'm impatient for the update that will take care of this. For me it's not like they're all over the place, but as soon as I see a few beachballs.....I'm like......ughhh.....back to ML.

Thanks......

Slide

----------

LV......SSD here too. Thanks for the link.

Slide

12. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

This is weird because I have macbook late 2008 , core2duo 2GHZ, 6GB ram and no issues as far as I can tell. Just the 1sec beachball sometimes.

Your macbook is absolutely new and should work flawless

13. TheBacklash macrumors regular

TheBacklash

99% of Mavericks runs great for me.
    that 1% is driving me nuts...

14. slrandall, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

slrandall macrumors 6502

I agree. Most of the time it's awesome, but there a few rough edges. The half-second beach-balls, the extra second it takes to open something in QuickLook, numerous bugs in Preview, the back/forward bug in Safari, issues with AppNap, the ass-ugly Notes, ...

I remember in 10.8.0, going into Mission Control on my rMBP would take a least a second. It was infuriating. But they got that ironed out by 10.8.2/3, so hopefully 10.9.1 will address most of the more prominent bugs and we'll be back to rock-solid a couple updates after that.

15. frimp macrumors newbie

Occasionally, I get the beach ball as well. but it is not spinning, it appears for half a second and is rock-solid. In addition, there is no laggy experience for me. it's just an annoying flash-up.
    It doesn't justify to downgrade, but to make Apple wake up!

16. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

OS 10.9 has been slick, fast and relatively trouble free for me. No lag or waits. Both my Mini (2013) and Mac Pro (2009) fly like the wind and software compatibility has been nearly 100%, even with many apps not updated for 4 or 5 years (Quicken 2007, Office 2008, CS5, Bias Peak Pro, etc.). Not a perfect run but as close as I've seen in decades of new OS releases. The only "gotcha" being my external FW drives are unable to sleep or even spin down after ejecting. USB is okay so I switched everything to USB2 until the next update sorts it out.

17. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Sadly for 10.9, going into Mission Control alone on the original Intel HD Graphics, frame rates dropped miserably. It was enough to convince me to downgrade. I doubt Apple will iron that out on future updates... :rolleyes:

18. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

Lame excuse. What, did they build this from the ground up? I've bought the last 5 new OSes and none have been this bad. This must be how Windows users felt.

19. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

o_O Is it really that big of a deal to you? How persistent is the beach ball? I get it maybe twice a day at most, but the second I realize it's there and move my cursor, it goes away. Whenever it happens I never notice a slow down in my computer or cursor so it doesn't really bother me at all.

20. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

My prediction, which is in line with most Apple Updates following a major OS revision:

10.9.1 will address several (a few) of the most prominent and annoying bugs

10.9.2 will address a few more secondary bugs, but will also begin addressing the overall stability, optimizations and performance of Mavericks

Conclusion: 10.9.2 can't arrive soon enough! :D

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Its not an excuse, its a fact. Throughout Apple history, the x.0 releases have always had issues. I suggest you get used to it.

22. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I have come to the conclusion is something was change in making your own Fusion drive scripts in 10.9 and is now broken somehow.

23. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I've noticed a few minor bugs including the spinning beach ball appearing every once in a while which only lasts for a second, and for apparently no reason. The other bugs I've noticed are with Chrome's extensions not showing properly at times. As long as they fix these in the upcoming update, I'm fine with Mavericks. If not, I have a Mountain Lion image I can always restore.

24. TheBacklash macrumors regular

TheBacklash

Someone should post the threads on the past 10.x.0 release issues..
    People always forget, or didn't have the problems themselves, so *this* release becomes the worst ever.

I waited to get Lion because of some of the issues in 10.7.0, Mountain Lion I think I got it just before 10.8.1 was released. And only installed it on my MBP not my iMac until after 10.8.1 dropped.

Mavericks is the first time I got a new OS on day one. (desktop anyway)

25. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

I initially had problems on my Late 2009 MacBook. In fact, it once wouldn't startup. I booted into the recovery partition and repaired the disk and fixed the permissions. Now, I have no issues. I'd recommend that anyone experience issues do the same!

Good Luck