Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
The one Apple rule I have is to always wait for the newest model, I learned back when I got my first iPod to wait a little while or at least do some research to see if a new model might be coming out. Bought the 3rd gen iPod and a month or so later the 4th gen comes out with the touch wheel with integrated buttons (as opposed to the 4 at the top of the 3rd gen, which was pretty cool by itself anyway).

If all else fails, at least you have a 2 week return window in the event that a new one comes out. If it ends up being after 2 weeks, the value of these computers really holds up well so selling it would probably recoup most of what you paid.

Actually, I believe if a new one were to come out relatively soon after you bought a new one, Apple has a replacement program that lets you swap it for the new one.

roofz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Southern California
The one Apple rule I have is to always wait for the newest model, I learned back when I got my first iPod to wait a little while or at least do some research to see if a new model might be coming out. Bought the 3rd gen iPod and a month or so later the 4th gen comes out with the touch wheel with integrated buttons (as opposed to the 4 at the top of the 3rd gen, which was pretty cool by itself anyway).

If all else fails, at least you have a 2 week return window in the event that a new one comes out. If it ends up being after 2 weeks, the value of these computers really holds up well so selling it would probably recoup most of what you paid.

Actually, I believe if a new one were to come out relatively soon after you bought a new one, Apple has a replacement program that lets you swap it for the new one.

agreed. i actually paid an extra $30 (over macmall) to buy it from amazon so that i could have a 30 day return window

underblu

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
I have an early 11' 17" and with 4 cores and the ability to utilize 16GB of Ram, there is very little I could imagine being able to do with the newer version that I can't do with my current MBP.

That said, if your computing needs are currently covered and you can afford to wait, why not wait. If you need a MBP now well then these are some great machines

whdigital

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I think I'm about done waiting. I think I'll pull the trigger on a refurb hi-res October 2011 model, swap the drive out for a hybrid and stuff it full of RAM and be done with this mess! Hopefully, I'll be grinning ear to ear when the new models take away all that I like (i.e on-board SuperDrive) about the current models, and I've got the one I wanted in hand vs. scrambling to find one. <<<That's a risk nobody mentions, but it's quite possible that the new models will be a step in the wrong direction.

streetmapp

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
I think I'm about done waiting. I think I'll pull the trigger on a refurb hi-res October 2011 model, swap the drive out for a hybrid and stuff it full of RAM and be done with this mess! Hopefully, I'll be grinning ear to ear when the new models take away all that I like (i.e on-board SuperDrive) about the current models, and I've got the one I wanted in hand vs. scrambling to find one. <<<That's a risk nobody mentions, but it's quite possible that the new models will be a step in the wrong direction.

It's definitely something I've been keeping in the back of my mind. If for whatever reason the refresh to the MBP is that bad that I wouldn't purchase the newest version, I'll go and get a Late 2011 model. As I'll get what I want, and ideally at a lower price point than currently.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I have an early 11' 17" and with 4 cores and the ability to utilize 16GB of Ram, there is very little I could imagine being able to do with the newer version that I can't do with my current MBP.

That said, if your computing needs are currently covered and you can afford to wait, why not wait. If you need a MBP now well then these are some great machines

Really the benefit is lower temperatures, better battery life, better integrates graphics, and hopefully a good disxrete you upgrade.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK

I have been told this many times but I don't know ANYONE who's ever taken advantage of this fantastic process. Urban myth?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I have been told this many times but I don't know ANYONE who's ever taken advantage of this fantastic process. Urban myth?

There is nothing mythical or fantastic about it. If a new model comes out within 14 days of your purchase, you can contact Apple and get the new model. Lots of users on this forum have done it and posted about their experience.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
There is nothing mythical or fantastic about it. If a new model comes out within 14 days of your purchase, you can contact Apple and get the new model. Lots of users on this forum have done it and posted about their experience.

The catch with doing that though is you need to know when the release date is going to be ;)

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK

I hadn't realised said scheme had to be within the 14 days. I was led to believe (by apple store sales staff) that on a discretionary basis even a few days after the 14 that was possible. Maybe it was a sales pitch (to buy the 2010 MBA at the time in May 2011, I decided to wait). But if anyone has been able to get an exchange 15 days + after purchase, please feel free to tell us all

whdigital

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Quite possible? You are telling youself what you want to hear.

Its highly unlikely that the new models will be a "step in the wrong direction".

Fair enough. I should have ended that sentence with "for many of us." There are A LOT of people who don't want to see the SuperDrive and/or Ethernet taken out. Not a guarantee those things are even on the drawing boards, but if it turns out that way, it would be a step in the wrong direction for me.... YMMV.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I hadn't realised said scheme had to be within the 14 days. I was led to believe (by apple store sales staff) that on a discretionary basis even a few days after the 14 that was possible. Maybe it was a sales pitch (to buy the 2010 MBA at the time in May 2011, I decided to wait). But if anyone has been able to get an exchange 15 days + after purchase, please feel free to tell us all

Well, the same as Geniuses replacing out or warranty/water damaged/user damaged/whatever products, there have been times where they'll flip you a new machine out of the 14 return period, but there's no set policy for it.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The early 2011 2.2GHz has an intel i7-2720QM processor (2.2GHz, turbo 3.3GHz) with a radeon 6750 1gb graphics card. The one I linked also has a 750gb hdd.

The late 2011 2.2GHz has an intel i7-2675QM (2.2GHz, turbo 3.1GHz) with a radeon 6750 512mb graphics card and 500gb hdd.

It may not seem like a big difference between processors; they're both sandy bridge 2.2GHz processors, but the early 2011 version has a higher turbo speed and actually supports more technologies at the cpu level. Geekbench also has the early 2011 2.2GHz higher than the late 2.2GHz model. It isn't a huge difference or anything, perhaps not even noticeable. But it is faster.

Price of early 2011 model from macmall with 3% discount: $1586 (free overnight, I paid no sales tax)
Price of late 2011 model from apple with student discount: $1699, or $1817 with sales tax
Price of late 2011 model from apple without student discount: $1799, or $1924 with sales tax
In other words: the High-end Early 2011 15" MBP is better than the Low-end Late 2011 15" model.

However, the High-end Late 2011 is better than High-end Early 2011 and same for Low-end vs. Low-end.

The price difference makes a difference though (i.e. the early 2011 might be more discounted, hence better to get 'em).

GreyMatta

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2007
England

my wife bought an iBook a few years ago from the Apple Store in the Bull Ring and 2 weeks later a newer model came out but when we went to swap it they had none in stock. The manager let us take our laptop home and go back a further 2 weeks later when the new machines were back in stock. The manager actually smiled as she handed the brand new machine over to us. Top quality service :D

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I haven't read all the posts, but what I have stumbled into is buying a new one every two years. I think that coincides with Intel's major updates (tic or toc?) and works for me. I have a 15" 2011 with 16GB of RAM, 2Ghz i7, anti-glare high res screen, etc. I hope I'm good for a while.

I think it is harsh to come down on someone for buying now without really knowing their wants, needs and financial situation.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
I went and got a macbook pro couldn't wait anymore without a laptop and i am never going back to a PC either.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
During the time I was buying my mac, my friends suggested me to wait for the update. But i bought it anyway. And now I'm really happy cos if I didn't buy I would have had to wait a long time for the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.