iPad mini I got a beastly electric shock

Discussion in 'iPad' started by joewillmott, Nov 21, 2013.

1. joewillmott macrumors regular

Yesterday I noticed a crackle from inside my rMini, but it did not repeat itself so I thought it was in my head. Today, whilst sat upon my porcelain throne curling out a steamer, it happened again. Then again. Then again. For about a minute I kept hearing a crackling sound from inside the iPad and then, ZAP! My fingers that were on the back of the iPad got a really strong shock.

I have had shocks from my Mac a lot of times, but they were just little pinching buzzes on my fingertips, this was a pretty bloody strong shock I could feel all through my hands. I have already made the decision to return it due to something unrelated, but has anybody else experienced electric shocks from their iPad?

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

:eek:
    That's a terrible experience. Make sure to alert the Apple Store or the shop about that defective unit.

3. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Did we really need to know about the steamer? :eek:

4. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

That's rather brash of you taking your rMini to the pot knowing you were planning to return it. Maybe it was trying to protect itself.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You should stop using electronic devices near water. Remember the Chinese woman who got fried using iPhone in the shower. Yea, that's you next.

It's people like this OP, who get the obvious warning stickers added. !HOT! on coffee cups, water warnings on hair dryers. Just regulators haven't realized yet people are taking their tablets to the john with them. They will eventually.

The shocks were not from your Mac, they were from YOU to the Mac, and had your Mac not been designed with sufficient robustness, would have damaged it's circuits.

6. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

It's a feature silly. Apples keep you regular. :rolleyes:

7. 960design macrumors 68000

The 'tingles' from your mac are from plugging it into a poorly ( or not at all ) grounded outlet. Not really Apple's fault on that one.

The shock from the iPad, sounds like all Apple's fault. Definitely return it. The water damage labels are probably triggered and would have invalidated your warranty, but Apple seems to have let up on that one a bit. You may get lucky.

I love the stickers on the hair dryers:
    1) Don't use while sleeping. -- Seriously, someone had to have gone to court and won to have this added.
    2) Don't use while showering. -- Again, isn't this obvious?

Now the new one:
    1) Don't use iPad while curling out a steamer.

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

yeah none of this is true. how many threads are you going to start telling us about how you're going to return the iPad you don't own?

9. joewillmott thread starter macrumors regular

I kind of knew the shocks from my Mac were down to me, but the iPad thing... that's got to be a fault with the device. I can't see why the water labels would be activated; I haven't actually let it go in any water and we don't have a very humid house.

But still, my point was; I got shocked, anyone else had this? I guess I should let Apple know...

10. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Make sure to include the part about curling out a steamer. It might be relevant.

11. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

I've only ever been shocked by some old beat up earbuds.

On a brand new ipad that's not good!!! I'd definitely let apple know ASAP and take it back. When you call tell Apple that the ipad shocked the ****** out of you!! :D

I'd bet that the majority of people use their ipads whilst dropping the kids at the pool... Its the most revolutionary, magical device for pooping.

PS... this forum needs more poop threads. Unlike the gamut threads, they make me smile.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The shocks are only going to happen on a properly, or reasonably proper grounded system.

He is charging up electrostatic energy from scuffing his feet around on the floor, then discharging into his grounded Mac.

13. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

For crying out loud people, unless he was using the iPad to wipe, I don't think taking it to the toilet is going to cause it to shock a person. And if the bathroom is getting humid enough while dropping the kids off at the pool to cause electronic shorts...well, I'd suggest seeing a doctor pronto since you've got bigger problems than a glitched iPad at that point.

14. m.costa macrumors newbie

Yeah, I totally fail to understand how being in the toilet doing your thing while playing with an iPad triggers the water damage labels. Maybe people misunderstood "steamer" and thought maybe the steam from taking a bath, whatever.

In any case, that's totally a defective unit, you show obviously return it and don't forget to warn Apple about it, as that's a pretty big issue. First report of this kind of thing I've heard as well.

15. calvol macrumors 6502a

This event was only a natural phenomena. Actually it was only a static discharge from the rMini through the long curly steamer to the water, which is at neutral ground. Perhaps you should wear a grounding strap whilst on the craper, or perhaps engage the sphincter and drop the bomb before it touches the water!

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Were you there? :rolleyes:

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know one person who thought this would be a good heater for warming their feet during cold winter months.

18. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Never mind the OP or the iPad...

Did the Fudge Dragon you gave birth to survive the ordeal?

19. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I call this steamy BS.

There is NOTHING in the iPad that could possibly cause a shock like the OP describes.

20. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Like there's nothing in the iPad that could cause it to explode and cause an evacuation of a Melbourne store...

21. Señor macrumors 6502

Señor

22. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Even animals can panic when stupid. The shoppers should have gone about their business. :p

23. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

How about the battery? Am I the only one who has taken apart a digital camera before and gotten a massive jolt from the flash? :confused:

24. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

I had to consult urbandictionary for this beautiful expression. Learning something every day! :)

25. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Seriously? How much of a shock can a 4 (3.8?)volt battery give you?