Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Seriously? How much of a shock can a 4 (3.8?)volt battery give you?

Well a camera battery made me bite my tongue causing it to bleed. Sure holding two ends of the battery won't give you a shock, but **** about with it's voltage or current or charging up a load of capacitors and it can soon give you a nasty zap. Take apart a disposable or old digital camera and touch the two electrodes in the flash, I dare you. ;)

Or if you need more proof that a low voltage can cause you pain, go play with an electric fly swap or Paladone Lightning game (uses 3x1.5v AAA batteries).

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Well a camera battery made me bite my tongue causing it to bleed. Sure holding two ends of the battery won't give you a shock, but **** about with it's voltage or current or charging up a load of capacitors and it can soon give you a nasty zap. Take apart a disposable or old digital camera and touch the two electrodes in the flash, I dare you. ;)

Or if you need more proof that a low voltage can cause you pain, go play with an electric fly swap or Paladone Lightning game (uses 3x1.5v AAA batteries).
True, but they are designed to put out thousands of volts at very low current making them "shocking" (like static electricity in your hair) but not dangerous to the average person. There is no such circuitry in an iPad. Maybe if you stuck your tongue across the 2 battery terminals you'd feel it but I call BS on this (unless he had a 110V plugged directly into it).

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
True, but they are designed to put out thousands of volts at very low current making them "shocking" (like static electricity in your hair) but not dangerous to the average person. There is no such circuitry in an iPad. Maybe if you stuck your tongue across the 2 battery terminals you'd feel it but I call BS on this (unless he had a 110V plugged directly into it).

Maybe he was statically charged and touched something earthed? I once had the unfortunate experience of sitting on a metal toilet with metal seat. :(

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
How about the battery? Am I the only one who has taken apart a digital camera before and gotten a massive jolt from the flash? :confused:
Perfect example (but totally different from an iPad). A flash uses circuitry designed to step up the internal voltage to over 10,000 volts to trigger the strobe. There is no such circuitry in an iPad (nor does it have a strobe which is what required the HV). It simply uses a low voltage low current LED for it's flash.

----------

Maybe he was statically charged and touched something earthed? I once had the unfortunate experience of sitting on a metal toilet with metal seat. :(
If that were the case it would have nothing to do with the iPad.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
How about the battery? Am I the only one who has taken apart a digital camera before and gotten a massive jolt from the flash? :confused:

The battery was not the cause of your "massive jolt" it had to be the capacitor for the flash. The ipad has no flash or capacitor.

:cool:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Like there's nothing in the iPad that could cause it to explode and cause an evacuation of a Melbourne store...

Which as we were told by Australians, wasn't reported in any of their local newspapers in that area. Which is very, very strange. Maybe the reporter was paid by Samsung - it's well known that Samsung has paid people to spread fake bad news about competitors, they have even been given a $350,000 fine for it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I kind of knew the shocks from my Mac were down to me, but the iPad thing... that's got to be a fault with the device. I can't see why the water labels would be activated; I haven't actually let it go in any water and we don't have a very humid house.

But still, my point was; I got shocked, anyone else had this? I guess I should let Apple know...
When you're planning on a returning a product because you changed your mind and had buyer's remorse, try not to take a crap while using it.
Clearly no one else got shocked. I'm assuming shock is the wrong word and this mythical occurrence is just that. Return the iPad...

Sounds like a faulty charger. Ipad is likely damaged by the mains power too.

Pretty sure the iPad wasn't plugged in at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.