I got a refund for FCP X...go get yours today

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MovieCutter, Jun 28, 2011.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Basically contacted App Store customer service and told them that FCP X was a disgrace and completely unusable for my needs. They were kind enough to issue a refund based on the fact that I said I can't use it in my workflow. Just throwing that out there for the pros who find it useless.

2. Blipp macrumors 6502

Sounds like they're maybe opening up a bit to the negative responses. Possibly a good sign here?

3. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

If they would just release a 30 Day Trial version we wouldn't have to worry about refunds.

4. iphonepiephone macrumors regular

Question (and no, I'm not pirating it):

Would the app still function/update, even when refunded?

5. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Still works for me so far.

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Because any other software you buy has a 30 trial version :rolleyes:

7. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Problem solved.

Release complete revamp of highly entrenched pro software. Leave out major features. No way to try it first. :rolleyes:

I swear, if Apple makes even one decision that I can agree with/ comprehend next year I'll reconsider staying with a Mac.
    WTF App Store only? So I can wait 14 hours to DL 60GB and THEN wait for it to install too? I better go get that hard copy of Logic Studio before I have to DL all 70GB of that too.

8. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Read review. Don't like how it sounds. Don't purchase.

9. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Ha. Wasn't even aware they offered that. And that's for a program that costs $80.

10. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Because we all like to throw down $300 based on a review. C'mon, that's a lazy response. If Autodesk can allow you to use a fully functional copy of their $3000 software for 30 days, then Apple should be able to do the same.

11. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

yes, there should be a trial and definitely no refunds after purchase unless they have a way to disable the program. Offering people refunds now is just going to allow people to have a free copy of the program while honest people pay for it.

12. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

LOL, Shake had a 30 day trial too.

13. HunterGather macrumors member

What about a Motion 5 refund? Or is that running ok for everyone else?

14. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Wait a sec, there were hundreds of reviews put out the day Final Cut was released. If your crazy enough to put down $300 without taking a look at these reviews to see what features it has and doesn't, then I have little sympathy.

I do think though that there should be a demo period for Mac apps.

15. jayshutta macrumors newbie

Really?

What did anyone expect for $300?

16. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Once I got used to the new GUI, I started loving it. It runs faster than before and I even can import projects from Motion3 :D

Thanks to the deities, Apple didn't break much in Motion.

17. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well for those of us who use this for a living and even train people in it, we need to get our hands on it as quickly as possible. It's only after we actually use the software in this particular case that we were able to determine that it's not up to snuff and won't work in our workflow. We were led astray by Apple in my opinion and told that this was a professional grade application when it's not even close in reality.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

We expected a program called Final Cut Pro to live up to standards set by the previous versions.

$300 for FCP X as opposed to $999 for FCP 7, Compressor, DVD SP, Color, Motion, Sound Track Pro and Cinema Tools.

Lethal

19. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Im wondering if your so dependent on the program, why not keep it so when they make updates you can see if it fixes what you need.

20. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I read my first review within 30 minutes of it being released with a long list of missing features.

If I depended on an application "to make a living" you would be sure I would do as much research and read everything about the application. But thats just me

21. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple offers a 30-day free trial of Aperture.

They were forced to because Adobe's product the directly competes has a 30-day trial. Apple needs to do this

I can see Final Cut going the same way as Aperture. At first Apple said Aperture was "revolutionary" and sold it as a $600 tool for top pro photographers. Now it seems to be markets as a $79 upgrade to iPhoto. I think this is where FCP is headed. In a few years it will ba $76 imovie upgrade. They certainly will not be selling this to the big studios.

Don't get me wrong. I like Aperture and now it is priced about right
    the only problem with FCP X is that it needs to be marketed as a "prosumer" product and priced at $79. In time Apple will figure this out.

22. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Thats what I do. I never spend my hard earned cash without reading many reviews. Often comparing products. I just don't have the money for a $300.00 impulse buy.

23. handsome pete macrumors 68000

Hence the request for a 30 day trial. Simply basing a major purchase on reviews is asinine in my opinion. There's no reason that a trial couldn't be implemented seeing as all other major developers offer it, as well as Apple on some of its other products.