I got a refund on lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bathplug, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

Through the report a problem section in the mac app store.

2. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Should we all say good for you?
    With every report of a problem there are thousands of people who don't have one. Sorry it did not work out for you.

4. Skwink macrumors member

5. Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Main reason was because of the new expose/mission control, not being able to see all minimized apps at once. Plus most of the other complaints you've probably read about in the forum already.

No, just saying that it's possible to get a refund if people don't like it.

6. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

Oh, I asked because I had read of several people who had purchased Lion without realizing they are covered under Apple's Up-To-Date program. Several were requesting refunds and I didn't know if you were one of those folks.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

So are you REALLY going back to Snow Leopard or did you just really want to get Lion for free? :rolleyes:

8. Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Back to snow leopard.

9. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

not to flame (or whatever the term is for it)..

there is nothing in the OS that wasn't documented heavily, reported on by beta users, and demonstrated in various youtube videos, etc. that you couldn't have read up on/viewed prior to purchase.

therefore, the need for a purchase/refund and this thread is a waste of time.

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've always loved the irony of those that take the time to point out that a thread is a waste of time. ;)

11. labaom macrumors member

12. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Good on you. I don't like the look of what they've done to Exposé, and it's making me feel a lot better about not upgrading yet. I will probably leave feedback about it when I have used it, but asking for a full refund for that reason probably sends more powerful feedback than a web form(!).

Hopefully they will give us the option for all windows Exposé again in a couple of 10.7.x updates' time. I don't understand why Apple must insist on removing features that work brilliantly in order to try and force people to use their new methods. By all means offer the new methods as the default, but leave the option for the old ones.

Like I've said elsewhere, this is kind of like Stacks 2011 edition. The old folder/list view for folders in the dock was great, then when Stacks was introduced they removed the option. Lots of feedback and complaints later, they put it back, and now everyone is happy. And here we go again with Apple deciding everyone must try their new paradigm whether they prefer it or not.

13. Bathplug thread starter macrumors 6502a

Done

Yh if they left expose as it was or had an option to change it back then I'd of kept lion. Which is a shame because I liked the new launchpad feature, full screen apps, calendar, mail, address book, some of the gestures and the overall speed boost plus other addition tweaks but most of those are just just bells and whistles to me and I relied heavily on snow leopards expose for work but with lion it just makes everything an eye sore.

14. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Well, enjoy using Snow Leopard for the rest of your Mac's life.

15. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

as i clicked 'submit'..i thought the same thing and sighed.

oh well..(as i make it worse by submitting this post..and so on and so on, the downward spiral continues..)

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I bet he uses Lion again. You know, the copy he got for free.

17. kettlecorn macrumors 6502

Some people dont like lion. Why buy it from the applestore and go thru the trouble of a "refund" when theres copies of it all over the net if you truly want it for free.

18. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

maybe.. just maybe apple will read these things, realize that they made a mistake and either implement the minimized apps in mission control or allow us the freedom to go back to SL's expose.

19. MacRuler macrumors 6502

or he could just wait until 10.8 snow lion comes out and use that? :confused:

20. leibrockt macrumors newbie

I want a refund too. Lion was a huge disappointment for me. It doesn't work very well with my early 2008 MacBook Pro.

Here's the message I sent to Apple:

"I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro, and OS X Lion does not perform as well as Snow Leopard.

By viewing SMC Fan Control, I've noticed that my laptop runs about 10 degrees Celsius hotter than it did with Snow Leopard at idle, without any programs running (it is HOT). The fans are constantly running faster than they did before, making more noise. This is my biggest issue.

AirDrop is not supported on my early 2008 MacBook Pro. This is a HUGE disappointment. I was not informed before purchasing Lion that this feature would not work with older Macs. I was planning on using this quite often, as I know a lot of other people who have Macs. It would've been nice to use this feature since I paid for it.

I also do not like Mission Control. Open windows overlap for some reason, and I do not like how it groups apps together. It also removed the ability to view all of the minimized apps at the bottom. Which makes absoluetly no sense to me. Expose was much simpler and worked better. And for some reason, there is no option to switch back to the old style Expose.

Can I get a refund? I would much rather use Snow Leopard, as I have no reason to use Lion at all. If I had a newer MacBook, it would probably perform better, but that is not the case with my situation. I paid $2,000 for this MacBook Pro 3 years ago, and this is the worst performing version of Mac OS X I have ever used."

21. skealoha86, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

skealoha86 macrumors newbie

Registered to agree with this. I have a Late 2007 MBP (MacBook Pro 3,1) that runs everything superbly, performed very well on Snow Leopard, and I have no reason to upgrade the hardware. It seems like Apple went in a backwards direction with Lion - where Snow Leopard was an optimization of a great version of OS X, Lion is a kludged together eye-candy OS. I hope they fix the bugs that they introduced with their new features - there is no reason that my MBP should not be capable of doing everything that is included in this OS (minus those features dependent on specific hardware components like AirDrop and Facetime HD) and that will be coming with iCloud - but it seems like there was a marked lack of regression testing with the older capable platforms...

WiFi issues abound! Where did the archive and install option go? If I have software that interferes with standard operating procedure of Lion, why not backup the existing System folder and replace it with a stock system folder?

This release feels as bad as the first release of OS X on my laptop.

22. leibrockt macrumors newbie

I didn't get a refund. I might have used the wrong form to submit my problem. Here is the email response I received:

"Hello Thomas,

Chris here from the iTunes Support team. I understand that your install of Mac OS X Lion is making your Mac not run properly. I can definitely appreciate how eager you are to get this all resolved. I would be happy to direct you to get some assistance

I wanted to let you know that as an Advisor for the iTunes Store, I handle issues related to billing, downloading, customer accounts, and the items available on the iTunes Store. Although your question falls outside of my area of specialty, I will be happy to assist you with resolving your issue.

I suggest that you contact our AppleCare technical support team. A technical Advisor will be able to tell you about Apple's complimentary and fee-based support options as well as assist you in determining what option might be most helpful in this case. To find the appropriate phone number, please visit:

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/phone_contacts.html

Another option is to simply describe your issue using our website and arrange for an Apple Expert to call you. Using this option, you can receive a phone call now, or make an appointment to have an Apple Expert call you later if that is more convenient. To explore this option, please visit the Express Lane:

https://expresslane.apple.com/

Please keep me informed so that I make sure that you were helped . If you have any further questions, please let me know and I would be more than happy to address them for you. Thank you very much for being part of the iTunes Store family, Thomas, and I hope you have a great day.

Sincerely,
    Chris

iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support

Please Note: I work Sun - Tue, Thurs,Fri 12PM - 9PM

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated."

23. leibrockt macrumors newbie

Apple even managed to screw up Photo Booth. I don't have an hd webcam on my early 2008 MacBook Pro, and it's taking pictures in widescreen. That means it's cropping the top and bottom of the picture, making it lower quality than it was in Snow Leopard. :confused:

24. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Absolutely true. The other factor here is that while there are many useless features like Launchpad and backwards scrolling, there is absolutely no downside to Lion, worst comes to worst you can always just ignore the features, and enjoy the slightly better look and Mission Control.

25. leibrockt macrumors newbie

By reading your signature, I can see you've got a core i7 processor and a SSD. Of course there are absolutely no downsides for you. lol. People with older Macs are having issues. I had no idea that AirDrop wasn't supported on my early 2008 MacBook Pro. That was the feature I was looking forward to the most. It just seems that I paid $30 for a ton of changes that I didn't like and had to turn off. I don't think I'll be getting a refund, so I hope 10.7.1 fixes some of the problems I've found.