I got accepted into ITT and DeVry! Which one should I pick???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Oct 22, 2011.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

... not.

I just keep seeing their ads here on MacRumors and getting tired of them. Why people keep going to those types of schools is beyond me, especially when there's cheaper and *higher quality* education to be had at community colleges.

[​IMG]

2. leftywamumonkey, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

4. kapolani macrumors regular

I don't even look at resumes that have Devry or ITT Tech on them.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Wow, slagging on a site sponsor.

That takes guts. ;)

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What do you look for when it comes to candidates. Does GPA really matter. Mines a solid 3.0, but have heard stories of GPA no being quite the decision factor as we've been led to believe.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I never see those ads... weird or maybe i am just lucky :D

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

We had a good conversation about this here.

I attend DeVry and also work for them, so I'm not going to expose my jugular here except to say that there is a lot of misinformation out-there™ and research is necessary to make informed decisions about your education.

10. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Maybe ravenvii talks a lot about ITT and DeVry on the Interwebs.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I always find it amusing when a poster feels his own personal choices and opinions are the absolute and final authority for everyone else

I am glad I get to make my own decisions in life based on my own context and personal experiences, because quite frankly, I think I know what is best for me better than someone who thinks they know what is best for everyone

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ MD I don't know or I did not read it as he was saying that his opinion was the final authority. I did open the thread and said "dear lord" because I believe this is a heavily debatable subject with a fair amount of misinformation to be had on both sides of the coin.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I was once a teacher at ITT Tech, so I don't mind speaking about my experience there - I don't know much at all about DeVry.

When I was at ITT, instructors' performance evaluations were based around 60% on student retention - since it's a for-profit institution, every time a student flunks out or drops out, it's lost revenue for the school. And since most students pay with student loans (again, being private and for-profit, the costs were sky-high compared to a public university, so virtually everyone paid with student loans), dropouts typically meant defaulted student loans. And if too many students default on student loans, the school can lose their eligibility with the government to accept guaranteed loans.

In my experience, the instructors genuinely cared about the students, about making sure they left the school prepared to go to work, etc. The administrators and recruiters seemed to focus more on generating (and holding onto) revenue. The end result was, for me, that I enjoyed the teaching aspect, but hated the bureaucracy and politics that the students typically weren't exposed to.

Things came to a head when a student of mine in his mid-40's approached me more than halfway through his program and told me he had to drop out. Seems his son-in-law lost his job, he and the guy's daughter were going to be moving in with him, and he needed to drop out to go back to work full-time and help support his kids and grandchild. I wished him well, told him he'd be welcome back whenever he felt the time was right, and that if he needed a reference I'd be happy to give him one. At my performance evaluation a few weeks later, I was marked down because I didn't try to talk him into staying. I was 26 years old and this student was 45-ish; in my opinion, I had no business whatsoever trying to talk him out of doing what he felt like he needed to do for his family. I did end up quitting and getting another job after this.

Other people's experiences may be different, but this is how it played out for me.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

There are worse for profit colleges out there. I had access to a wide array of public and private college curriculum and submissions at my previous job. It's safe to say that the college experience has been degraded overall to bring in more revenues. This isn't just isolated to undergraduate programs either. The MBA programs are turning more and more into paper mills.

I've seen college submissions that would make a junior high English teacher cry.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

This is my problem with for-profit colleges, in a nutshell:

[​IMG]

17. eternlgladiator, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I can't link to youtube right now while I'm traveling but there was a great scene from family guy where two construction works are having lunch and one says to the other "Hey, my son got into DeVry!" and the other responds,"Oh yeah, what did he do? Open the door?".

Classic.