I got dehydrated

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by taylorwilsdon, Jan 13, 2008.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I've been so preoccupied the last week or so that all I've drank is soda and coffee and a little milk and not a drop of water. I was feeling crappy all yesterday, but I crashed last night and pretty much passed out in the shower.

I'm just guzzling water now but what else can I do? I still can't get my headaches to go away and I still a head rush when I move my body or turn my head. Google says to drink gatorade, which I don't have and I can't drive because when I drove last night I was all over the road and fell down when I got out of the car.

2. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Really take it easy. Don't drink it all at once, though it may be too late for that. Dehydration is a big problem out here in the southwest, so it's almost inevitable that it will happen at least once if you live here.

3. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I got dehydrated a couple times in Africa because we would run out of water bottles on long trips, but never like this.

That might be a problem. Why? I've been slurping down water... I didn't see that it was bad anywhere.

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

You need an electrolyte solution:

Sports drinks
    Electrolytes are commonly found in sports drinks. In oral rehydration therapy, electrolyte drinks containing sodium and potassium salts replenish the body's water and electrolyte levels after dehydration caused by exercise, diaphoresis, diarrhea, vomiting or starvation. Giving pure water to such a person is not the best way to restore fluid levels because it dilutes the salts inside the body's cells and interferes with their chemical functions. This can lead to water intoxication.
    Sports drinks such as Gatorade, Powerade, Brawndo or Lucozade are electrolyte drinks with large amounts of added carbohydrates, such as glucose, to provide energy. The drinks commonly sold to the public are isotonic (with osmolality close to that of blood), with hypotonic (with a lower osmolality) and hypertonic (with a higher osmolality) varieties available to athletes, depending on their nutritional needs.[1]
    It is unnecessary to replace losses of sodium, potassium and other electrolytes during exercise since it is unlikely that a significant depletion the body's stores of these minerals will occur during normal training. However, in extreme exercising conditions over 5 or 6 hours (an Ironman or ultramarathon, for example) the consumption of a complex sports drink with electrolytes is recommended. Athletes who do not consume electrolytes under these conditions risk overhydration (or hyponatremia). [2]
    Because sports drinks typically contain very high levels of sugar, they are not recommended for regular use by children. Rather, specially-formulated pediatric electrolyte solutions are recommended. Sports drinks are also not appropriate for replacing the fluid lost during diarrhea. The role of sports drinks is to inhibit electrolyte loss but are insufficient to restore balance once it occurs.[citation needed] Medicinal rehydration sachets and drinks are available to replace the key electrolyte ions lost. Dentists recommend that regular consumers of sports drinks observe precautions against tooth decay.
    Electrolyte and sports drinks can be home-made by using the correct proportions of sugar, salt and water. [3]

sugar+salt+water in some unknown concentrations should fix ya!

concentrations now known: http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/rehydration-drinks

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Because you can vomit up the liquid, loosing more (liquid) in the process.

You need electrolytes. Take a pinch of salt in a pint of water... that'll get you started. But you need Gatorade or something to get you going again.

EDIT: Jasonbot seems to have found your 'or something.'

6. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

If you really almost passed out and all, you might be beyond just being able to drink liquids and you may need to go to the hospital and get some intravenous fluids in you. It could be pretty serious.
    IV fluids are basically salt and sugar. If you have any sugar mix that in with some water and a little salt and drink it (Better than sugar would be honey in some hot water or something.) It'll taste gross but its basically what you're body needs if you're dehydrated.
    Something that tastes better is broth -either chicken, beef or vegetable and it'll provide more nourishment as well.

7. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

here's the concentrations from teh intrawebz:

Measure all ingredients precisely. Small variations can make the drink less effective or even harmful. Mix the following:
    1 quart (950 ml) water
    1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) table salt, or 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 g) salt substitute (such as "Lite Salt," which is potassium-based)
    3 to 4 tablespoons (45 to 60 g) sugar

8. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

well, gatorade is practically water+salt+sugar+chemical flavoring, so you can drink sodas if you have some at home. otherwise, do you have low-fat/non-fat chocolate milk? salt+sugar+water should do, too. but depending on the ratio, it might not taste right.

also, have you been eating right? eat something that is low fat and has some carbs in it (i.e. crackers) may make you feel better as well.

hope you feel better. :)

9. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I probably should have elaborated there. Basically, I had a tough time staying standing (very woozy, room swirling) in the shower so I got out and rolled into bed, I was out like a light. Its not like passing out when your crazy drunk, more like I couldn't control my body.

I'm feeling alot better since I got 14 hours of sleep and drank all this water but I've still got a headache and chills somehow mixed with hot periods.

I'm going to find someone to take me to a clinic if I'm not any better this afternoon.

edit: I've passed out before and it wasn't quite like this. Usually its after I've had alot to drink and I slowly fall asleep on a chair or a couch. One time after I had watched every season of 24 lying on a couch, I stood up and stretched and I blacked out from a head rush. This was closer to that.

10. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I work at a school, and I got dehydrated on the first day last August. It was a ridiculously hot day (115 degrees and 50% or so humidity), and I had to go running around outside early in the day. I got increasingly disoriented, and I knew I had to lie down and get some water immediately when I told a student they could go pick up their library at the auditorium.

If you ever feel disoriented, get some water quickly. Lying down is also good.

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Though it is unlikely to happen except in extreme situations, drinking too much water can dilute electrolyte concentrations in your blood stream and lead to all sorts of nasty side effects, including death. I mean, that takes quite a lot, but it has happened...Give your body a bit of time to reach homeostasis again.

Where in Africa were you?

12. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

A third of rescues in the Grand Canyon are due to people drinking too much water and not enough electrolytes.

13. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

Well sometimes when I get sick and I get dehydrated I dring Gatorade,Powerade,ect. it actullay works

14. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I have this whole long story about being dehydrated but I'll try to make it short. I'm a Cross Country runner and one day I went out and ran 12 miles and then the next day I pass out in school and I learned that I needed to drink more water and gatorade and that caffeine is bad for athletes. They told me I could have died that day.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Whoops, sorry, what I meant to say was *dying* was unlikely. Heh. :eek:

16. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

wow who's your coach/captain? look up carb loading if they haven't told you about it.

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Salt is your friend.

Whenever I go to raves I take a small zip bag filled with umeboshi paste, it's very high in salt but isn't a horror to eat like peanuts/crisps are when you have an excessively dry mouth.

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Ok it is going to take some time. Drink water like you have, eat some food and take it easy.

There is no quick fix for what you are going though. Your body got dehydrated and you might be suffering from some exhaustion. Chances are it will be at least another day before you are back to normal. You body needs to heal the damage done to it.

I will say stay hydrated because chances are you are running a fever and when it breaks you are going to sweat quite a bit.

I might like to add those sport drinks are great if you are working out but in your condition just some food and water is all you really need.

19. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

diluted fruit and vegetable juices works as well.
    One of my faves is diluted tomato juice with pinch of salt. works wonders on hot days.

just do not drink plain water in large amounts.

I always keep a few packets of emergenC electrolyte mix in my backpack.
    always some idiot students who are : 1) doing the cigarrette and coffee diet and crash in class, 2) starving themselves and running laps who crash in class, 3) pulled all nighters drinking coffee and crash in class...

20. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

21. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

This is exactly what happended to me last year!!! Got up in the morning passed out in the shower

I ended up at the doctors, having blood tests, my potasium was at a dangerous level, so much in fact the doctor rang me personally and said i want you in hospital tonight.

I was hooked up to ivs over night and during the day, and on friday that week i was tested for addisons disease

I would be going to the doctor and getting some blood tests just ot be sure, high potassium levels are not good for your heart

22. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Yeah my coach told me about that. It messed up my whole CC season but now with track conditioning I'm faster than I've ever been. I'm now being more carful to listen to my body and take care of it.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Even without Gatorade, surely you can put some salt, and lots of sugar, into water and pour a bit of fruit juice into it.

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Call a friend. Tell him/her to go to the store and buy Gatorade. Drink it. Not that complicated at all, I hope you feel better.

25. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Feeling alot better. Ate some food and drank some of the water + salt + sugar solution. I'm still really chilled so I'm currently under a pile of blankets but my headache isn't so bad anymore.