I got it! Screen protector or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by diegobgr, Dec 7, 2010.

1. diegobgr macrumors 6502

Hi!

I have a new iPhone 4 16 GB! It just amazing. Like iPhone 3G, but better, more beautiful and fasterrrrr.

Now, I have a big doubt.

Should I use a screen protector? I had a 3G for 18 months without it, and it just has two minor and invisible scratches.

And the other thing. If you put 3G along to an iPhone 4, the iPhone 4 screen looks more yellow than the 3G. It's not yellow tint, the white is more yellower. It happened the same with the 3G and an iPod Touch.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't use screen protectors on mine. Had it since day one with no scratches.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

4. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

I only have the anti-glare Power Support one installed on the front.

5. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I have to agree, I have the same thing on the front. Can never go wrong with the power support anti glare. The beauty of a naked screen is nice, but I'd rather keep it scratchless since I've scratched my previous iPhones and I never drop them. The pixel density is still the same to me with the anti glare on, some say it hinders it but I don't see it.

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you're OCD about scratches put one on. I have a full body zagg shield on mine.

7. dingus macrumors member

I haven't tried any others but I'll recommend the PureProtect+ from SwitchEasy. It's all but invisible when installed correctly; the only giveaways being the cutouts around the cameras and earpiece. You get 3 sets in the pack (pairs of front & back protection) and if you're a perfectionist spaz like myself you'll probably need all three because it's a bit of a mother to install. Clean your work area to a dust-free level the good folks at NASA would approve of and you should have a good shot at perfectly clear, bubble-free scratch protection for your phone.

8. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

not

i do however have a lucky labs back skin cuz its a fingerprint magnet

9. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I bought cheap screen protectors from Amazon or Ebay, I forget which. My first one got really scratched up, and I just popped another one on this weekend, and it looks good as new. Screen itself underneath was immaculate. I keep my iphone in the same pocket as my keys all the time, so I think it really does make a difference.

I also have the free (antennagate, not free anymore) Speck Pixelskin HD case on it, and if I lost this case or something, I would go out and buy it myself, I love it.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

There's a night & day difference with a naked screen vs the anti-glare SP. I've had the anti-glare on and couldn't take it so I took it off. No SPs for me.

11. brendu macrumors 68020

I agree, I HATE the fuzzy effect caused by my anti-glare SP but im too concerned to remove it. I also like never having glare, so I deal but when I compare it to my friends naked iP4 its depressing how much better his screen looks.

12. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

There definitely is a difference, I'm saying it doesn't hinder me what so ever. At first the grainy effect did irritate me but it was worth it to me since the screen was so smooth and oil free and finger prints I didn't have to worry about that anymore.

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

I don't use a screen protector on my iPhone 4. I do use one on my 3GS which is my work line. I don't really like the way the screen protector looks or feels compared to the phone without one. Of course my iPhone 4 screen has lots of small marks on it. A friend also has an iPhone 4 and has lots of scratches on it much worse than mine.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

You will likely be OCD in beginning when you first get it.

I say don't go for it. Feels better without one and no air bubbles or dust build up around corners. The phone won't be perfect or used forever and you will eventually get another phone. It is not like we all get so OCD after a year when we get a brand new car or shoes, do we? We have to use them daily. I've had the phone since June and already feel less OCD about it. I do less cleaning compared to before. Probably because I use Shopkick alot nowadays and prefer the rewards over keeping my phone pristine forever. After five months, you stop caring it to be some fine china and start using it as tool. Looking forward for the next phone or gadget of 2011. It doesn't mean you should treat it like crap now, but everything in life is all temporary.

15. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I bought the Power Support Crystal HD film, and it looks wonderful. Feels almost like the glass.

16. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

The front glass is actually crystal I believe...so that means that it should be scratched unless you rub a diamond on it, but somehow they still get very small marks on them.

I've never used a screen protector, mostly because I HATE those bubbles, and you always get at least one, but to each his own I suppose.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I just use one anyways. I'm not sure if the oleophobic screen scratches but I'd rather not find out now.

18. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

i would go with anti-glare i just cant stand the finger prints on the phone.

19. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Just a quick opinion based on experience:

I often take my keys to my iphone/ipad screen to debunk the myth that it needs a screen protector or that they scratch easily. I wouldn't recommend that you do that but both my devices are still scratch free.

20. ryanrich macrumors regular

+1