I got scammed :/

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipodlover77, May 31, 2011.

1. ipodlover77, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2011

ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just wanted to get my story out. Just got scammed on craigslist a few minutes ago.

Found a deal to trade my 2010 base air + 315 for a 2011 MacBook 13" with i7 and 8gb ram.

Met at a safe area. We both brought a friend along. I saw his laptop, couple of scratches and one or two dings. He said it was in excellent condition so I was a bit peeved. He saw that and said alright, 250 is fine. He apologized that his grading isn't as harsh as mine. First thing I do when I open the computer is check the info. MacBook 8,2, core i7, 8gb ram check.

I'm driving home. Still kind of mad that the laptop has scratches and little dings when he said there was none. He didnt have the box cause he threw it away so I didn't give him the airs.

So I'm at home cleaning the comp. It's all grimy so I'm cleaning the keyboard and screen. When I get to the side, I notice something. The thunderbolt icon is not there. It's the mini display part icon. So I'm freaking out now. What's going on. I turn on the comp again and yeah, it says core i7. Than I check my finder, 238gb free space. Huh? But there's nothing on the comp. I check the serial number from the info screen, apple support says it's a early 2011. Whew that was close. Than I click register and it says it can't. Now I'm beginning to get real worried. The missing thunderbolt and the low hard drive space are the the beginning. I flip the comp over and the writing on the bottom is Kind of rubbed off. I'm hoping it's from friction from going in and out of his bag. But than I see the real serial number. WQ.

It's a mid 2010 MacBook pro. I just got scammed for my air and 250. I should have been more thorough but the excitement of such a good deal blinded me. I assumed that the system info would always tell the truth. I thought it was impossible to have fake info. When I try to restore with snow leopard, I get an endless boot and the "press hold to turn off comp". The only consolation is that the MacBook has warranty till this august.

Laugh at me or call me stupid. I feel extremely crummy right now.

I'm usually so thorough and the one time.

God I'm dumb. Great. Broken old generation comp. Go me :/

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Btw. Called his phone. Goes straight to voice mail.

His name was "steven smith"

It gave me iffy feelings but again my greed got to me. DAMN MAN. SO BLOWN.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh you can totally edit system profiler to say whatever you want

you have his number? I'd call the cops about it personally

edit: sounds like he iblacklisted your number

3. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Ouch. I never knew that people could edit the system info.

I'm sure he's laughing with my immaculate air in his hand and 250 in the other. I'm guessing he's using a go phone or a google voice number. He kept saying "I'm running out of minutes"

I feel so effing stupid.

Btw. Thanks for not laughing.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Sorry to hear you got scammed. On a bright note the Airs should be getting updated within a month, so he will have an even older model ;)

5. marc11 macrumors 68000

Not to be a jerk, but the guy didn't really lie. It IS an i7, just the last i7 and it sounds like his add didn't say QUAD CORE, did it? Also, I purchased my 2010 MBP i7 in February 2011, so yeah, you can have a 2011 MBP that is an i7 but IS NOT the latest upgraded one and still be telling the truth. Did he say which HDD in his ad was in it? It also could be he left a bunch of crap on his HDD, i'd format and clean install anyway.

If I sold mine I could easily and honestly say it is a 2011 i7 MBP because it is. It was purchased in 2011 and is an i7. Sucks you didn't check everything before you sealed the deal, but I do not think the seller is really scamming you. I mean, he met you, showed you the computer, even let you turn it on and gave you the chance face to face to question or back out and you didn't. What did he do wrong really?

Again I am not trying to sound like a jerk, but I really do not think the seller scammed you. More like he got the better of the deal.

Edited to add, wait, I am not sure you could get an i7 in the 13" in 2010, could you? If not, then I take it all back, he scammed you. Sorry.

6. gothamm macrumors 6502a

The only 13" i7's are the 2011 mbp. So yeah, he did get scammed.

7. aldejesus macrumors regular

No, MBP 13 i7 came only after this year's model (2011). Call the cops. Hope you get yours back.;)

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

That's correct, you couldn't. All 2010 13"s were C2D.

To the OP, I wouldn't quite give up yet eventhough the whole thing does smell fishy. Have you checked all the details in "About this Mac" and "More Info..." are OK?

9. ann713 macrumors 6502a

As much as I feel for the OP, can the police really do much in this situation?

10. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yep my bad. I realized after I posted my long winded soapbox speach. Sucks for the buyer, hope something works out.

11. mac jones macrumors 68040

12. eUnique macrumors member

Hello this post is making me paranoid, I won a 2.7Ghz i7 13" MBP on ebay and it's not sealed. So how would I check and know for sure what is in my MBP?

13. eljanitor, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Sounds like the whole thing was shady to me, I sure hope for your sake its not stolen.
    Information about recieving stolen property click here

Possesion of stolen goods

14. marc11 macrumors 68000

If you pay through paypal and with a credit card you are double protected. Ebay is a bit better than Craigslist in that regard. Not a lot but a bit better.

15. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately I doubt the cops would be of much help. Craigslist is always a gamble. Whenever I sell/buy from there I always make sure to thoroughly test the items bought or count the money given on site. It takes extra time and if they buyer/seller isn't willing to put in that extra time it's a clear indication that they are scamming you. But best of luck to you in hopefully getting this sorted out.

16. palpatine macrumors 68040

If it sounds too good to be true....

Anyhow, on a related note, I am honestly flabbergasted that anyone would trade one computer for another one, or buy a used one. Even if my best friend had a computer model I liked and he offered some kind of deal, I still wouldn't take it. Computers are too sensitive, and even under the best conditions, there is no telling what is going on inside. It's more hassle than it is worth.

17. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

yeah, stay away from this kind of deals

18. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I just found a seller selling a MBP 8GB i7 256GB SSD for $500 bucks. He says he's from Nigeria, should I take the deal?

:p

19. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

You should have noticed something was wrong when the system info said "MacBook Pro 8,2". The 8,2 is the 2011 15" MacBook Pro. The 13" is model 8,1.

20. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Ask him to say hello in Nigerian to verify his identity. If he manages to do so, buy it!

;)

21. mac jones macrumors 68040

Flabbergasted.... if that's the case, my activities would utterly flabbergast you. So much so, that i would be worried. You see; I buy and sell USED GEAR!

Yes, it's true, it's crazy I know... and reckless, but hey? I'm NuTZ :p

22. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Unfortunately its not something I think most people remember - although I would've probably been tempted to walk away as soon as I saw it wasn't exactly as described. OP: Hope you get your air or something back form him. Thats a terrible buying experience - even though I mainly deal with older models I guess Im lucky I've never had anyone try to pull the "edit info" trick on me - I've bought enough Macs thats for sure.

23. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

after a three hour sleep, im still in a terrible mood. im mad that he was able to pull a fast one on me, a person who browses macrumors daily. i dont know, maybe its cause i wanted to finish the deal quickly, i can't believe i missed and ignored those stupid signs.

Its as if i lost 500. fantastic.

24. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

25. ipodlover77 thread starter macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

i figured theres no point. he said he lived in PA so we met half way in baltimore at towson mcdonalds. so only towson mcdonalds would maybe have a video of him. he seemed to use his go phone or a fake phone for his number and gave me a fake email. i never emailed him back with the "wtf man" cause of my pride and cause he'll probably take joy in the fact that he suckered me.

i paid 1250 for a 2010 macbook pro with 250 gigs of ram. hahaha. go me. i thought about selling (after maybe getting it checked out at apple) but realized i dont have the money to put more into a computer. i would be lucky to sell this for 800, after that i would have to put in 250 more for the microcenter deal. at the end of the day, i would have spent 650 dollars out of pocket.

i guess this is a lesson. an expensive lesson.