I got sold the 2011 version of mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markus843, Oct 30, 2012.

1. markus843, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  2. zxspectrum Guest

Take it back to the shop you bought it and complain. They sold you the wrong model, probably shouldn't of left it so long though...

3. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

but was the box fully sealed when you take it from the store? if its not then they must have swapped your laptop before you bought it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple has nothing to do with your problem. Going to an Apple store or calling Apple is pointless. You need to deal with Best Buy, as that is who sold your computer. You should have checked the packaging before you left the store to make sure you were getting the item you intended to buy.

5. Laco macrumors 6502

It seems like this is the fault of Best Buy, not Apple. I would certainly exchange it.

6. daonesteven macrumors 6502

I don't understand how you said you noticed immediately when you purchased it that it was not the 2012 model, but then for some reason you kept it and when it started having issues, now you're all of a sudden frustrated that you got the 2011 model that happened to have issues? In fact, I'm pretty sure the receipt should say what model macbook pro that was scanned. If it scanned the 2012 model and you didn't receive that, then your obvious strategy will be to go into Best Buy and argue that you realized way much too later that the computer was the 2011 model instead. I doubt this is going to work since I don't think there's a way for you to prove that the computer you received was the same one that was inside the box of the 2012 model that you thought you received from Best Buy. Who knows.

If the receipt scanned the 2011 model, then you're pretty much out of luck. You're gonna have to prove that you intended to purchase the 2012 model which is pretty much impossible sans the testimony of the employee that may remember you were looking for the 2012 model. But he probably wouldn't be willing to admit to his own mistake which would probably lead to him being fired.

It's been 2 months, my educated guess is that it's too late for any sort of recourse to get the 2012 model and the best recommendation for you is to take it to apple to get it fixed under warranty.

7. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm going to go to bestbuy one more time and start a fuss, I'll be back in a bit.

----------

It shows that it was bought in 2012, theres a date on it but it just doesn't say if it was a 2011 model or 2012

8. daonesteven macrumors 6502

is there a model number, like MD314xx/A or something?

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Does the SN on the computer match the box? Did you pay the price of a 2012 model?

10. xAgustinx macrumors regular

xAgustinx

MBP 2011 is cheaper than 2012 model, how much did you pay?

The problem is with BestBuy, they were still selling 2011 model, and I think that the person in that store didn't tell you that they had both models and you could choose a cheaper older 2011 model or a newer more expensive 2012 model.

If you paid for a 2012 model, and you received a 2011 model, then bestbuy (not apple) must change it; but, if you paid a 2011 model, then there's not much you can do. You should tell them that the person in the store showed you the 2012 model and you had the intention to buy that, no the 2011 model.

11. leman macrumors 604

Apple has nothing to do with this. You bought it from best buy, so you have to resolve it with them. If they told you you were getting the 2012 model you can accuse them of scamming. Otherwise, you can build your arguments around wrong advertising. No idea why you waited so long though. In the future, pay attention when buying a 2000$ machine.

12. TRMC13 macrumors member

It's your fault for:

1) Not checking to make sure it was the correct model before leaving the store and "going home all happy"

2) For waiting this long for a solution to your problem.

It's Best Buy's fault for:

1) Selling you the wrong model

It's Apple's fault for:

_______

13. children macrumors regular

2 months? pfft

I'm sorry, but you're at fault just as much as Best Buy, why you're dragging Apple into this is beyond me.

take it as a lesson learnt

14. markus843 thread starter macrumors regular

If anyone is still interested, I got a replacement free of charge, brand new 2012 macbook pro model, after about 2 hours spent at bestbuy.

15. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

very happy you had gotten it taken care of.

although I'm not justifying it, I could see how best buy could forget a 2011 model in inventory and not sent it back when the 2012's come in. The boxes are similar so I could see that there was an honest mistake made.

I dont see however, how Apple retail could be at fault for any of this...

16. Coldmode macrumors regular

I was given the wrong product at BestBuy and didn't notice for a month! Rah rah death to Apple!

Yowza.

17. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

That's the reason Apple have their own stores. People will confuse who is responsible for what, so just make your own store and take responsibility for it all.

Glad you got it sorted, OP!

18. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

Broken record speaking: Best Buy's fault, Apple has nothing to do with this matter, go show them hell!

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read post #14.

20. Mdwall macrumors member

I am not sure they do send them back in. I ALMOST bought a leftover 2011 high end 15" cMBP they had laying there still sealed in box. They were selling it for about 1850.00 when the new high end was 2100. Not sure if they did sell it but this was a few weeks ago and I just decided against it because I was still unsure what I wanted (still am)
    So all I'm saying is its not surprising they had a leftover model sitting there.

21. baummer macrumors 6502a

So...is this the same MBP you referenced here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1478732 :confused:

22. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Exchange guts?

How interesting.

Question:

Can you swap over the entire innards of an anit-glare mbp with that of a hi-res glossy mbp say between a 2.5ghz and a 2.4ghz???????????

Thanks.

23. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm glad you were able to get this sorted out. Stories like this, along with a few of my own bad experiences are why Best Buy will never get another cent from me.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can't.

25. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If they're units released at the same time, probably.