I got the Air 2 :)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Trickhot3102, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I was originally waiting for the Air 3, but I just got the Air 2 yesterday. Here's the story... My mom has had an iPod touch 5g for about 2 years now. Yesterday, it decides to die. Like it wouldn't turn on or do anything. It's long out of warranty, so it isn't worth putting money into it. My mom knows (I'm 17 btw. It would be a little weird if you all assumed that I was older lol) that I've been wanting a full sized iPad, and she's been wanting a bigger screen iOS device. So the solution became clear...I'll give her my mini and I might as well just get the Air 2 now. It's a win-win! Lol. So I got a 128 gig Space gray Air 2 and passed my 32gb mini to my mom. She's loving it so far! It's a huge improvement over the iPod touch 5g. I am also loving my Air 2 :)

So there's the story on why I'm not waiting on the Air 3 anymore :p

i would still suggest that if anyone wants to get an iPad to wait till the fall. My circumstances just worked out now that I needed a new one now. If you cannot wait (or something happens like what happened to me) go for it.

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I have been debating getting the Air 2, but need to see the details on the Air 3 coming out, before taking the plunge.

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Details on the iPad Air 3 are really scarce. I wonder if they really decided to delay it until the Spring like the most recent rumor mentioned? If so, what would happen to the iPad Air 2's pricing?

4. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I felt the exact same, but my circumstances just needed it now. Honestly after playing with the Air 2 for 24 hours now, I think that the air 3 won't be a huge upgrade. Dare I say, this tablet is pretty much perfect. It runs everything like a beast. My only gripe is the battery life is just about the same as my mini 2, maybe a little better. I've watched some vids of the air 2 on iOS 9 beta and it handles it pretty well, so I'm pretty confident updating when iOS 9 comes out in the fall.

Again, if you can wait, then I'd wait. If you can't wait for whatever reason, go for it. It's a great tablet.

5. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Congratulations on your new iPad. I find it funny that the iPod decides to die right when the 6th Gen iPod Touch is released (much coincidence?)

The Air 2 is a very good purchase especially when you can get a refurbished set at a lower price already. I'm on iOS 9 PB and find the multitasking very handy when I require it.

6. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Thanks! Yeah it is a bit weird that it died right at this time!! Now sure what happened exactly. She said it went to the apple logo and wouldn't come back. I told her to hold down the home button and the power button, but that really didn't work because her home button was broken!! so that's how you know it's time to upgrade! Lol. But yeah it just kinda worked out that I've been wanting the a larger screen iPad, so if just made sense to give my mom the mini 2 and I just get the Air.

Honestly I don't feel too bad about not waiting for the air 3 because the Air 2 is only getting better from here! As you said, the multitasking is pretty handy. I've already been in situations on this iPad where I thought that the split screen multitasking would come in handy. I had iOS 9 PB on my mini 2 that I gave to my mom. I wanna keep the air 2 on iOS 8.4 until the public release of iOS 9. I don't want any of the same issues to plague my new air 2! lol. It was just pretty laggy and the battery SUCKED! How are these issues on the Air 2? Any better?

7. crjackson2134, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Congratulations on your iPad Air 2. It's a great device. I've had all the iPads and it's by far the best. If you really want to enjoy productivity apps. I suggest a quality keyboad/case like the Zagg slim book. I've got Zagg keyboards/cases on 2 of my iPads now and they're perfect for my needs, especially when responding to forum posts and creating documents.

I don't think an iPad Air 3 will be revolutionary, but just another incremental upgrade anyway.

8. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Thanks! It is a great upgrade coming from the Mini 2 :) I thought about those keyboard cases, but I don't think I'd ever really use it. I don't do too much typing on the iPad.

I agree that after using the Air 2, there isn't really too much they could do to make it better. This tablet is near perfect! I think the 3 will just bring a minor spec bump

9. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I'm waiting for the iPad mini 4
    I think the iPads are switching upgrade types this year with the rMini getting a major overhaul in the Air a minor upgrade. Here's for hoping I'm wrong about the Air.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

11. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

+1 on the congratulations. I'm still rocking and Air 1 which I won't be upgrading so I'm a bit jealous :p

12. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I've got one of those too. It's still a fast device.

13. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

I agree with ya on this one. I think that the mini will be the star of the show this year. It deserves a good update :) I'm sure there will be an air 3 update, but it'll be pretty minor.

14. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

No need to be jealous, the Air 1 is a great tablet!! And it'll be a great upgrade when you get your mini 4 :)

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

iPad Mini 1?? No retina? Your mommy might be jealous of your RETINA iPad Air 2!! Anyway congrats with your new toy!

16. Trickhot3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

Thanks! Haha nah it was the mini 2 with retina display. She says the iPad Air is too big!

17. Conan86 macrumors 6502

iOS 9 PB works wonderfully well with my Air 2. No major issues or stutter so far. Take a look at the iOS 9 forums to see if there are any apps you need that is currently incompatible. Battery life is good as ever. I have no issues recommending anyone to test the PB with the Air 2.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

128GB? Nice I'm getting the 64GB ipad air 2 come payday. .my first ipad since the IPad 2

19. SoYoung macrumors 6502

With all the cloud storages option these days, I don't know why some people feel the need to pay a good $100 extra for the 128GB model. 64GB is more than enough for a mobile device IMO

20. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Congrats OP. Like someone else mentioned, the air 3 if it does get an upgrade will be evolutionary, not revolutionary.

21. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Because you'll require constant data connection to access those data and it may not be ideal for everyone? Not to mention that you'll require extra power to draw those data whenever you need them as compared to files stored locally.

I've found iCloud backup and all that being unreliable as my data usage has always been inaccurate with them. It has always been appearant to me that iCloud is a ploy for Apple users to be stuck to its storage subscription.

22. Billy95Tech Suspended

I thought you was going to wait for the Ipad Air 3 this year..

I am in the same boat as you i am waiting for the Ipad Air 3 this year but due to recent reports there won't be a Ipad Air 3 this year i might get Ipad Air 2 instead.

So should i get the Ipad Air 2 or wait and see if there is going new Air 3?

And is Ipad Air 2 great? What are your thoughts/impressions of it?? I would like to know :)

23. Billy95Tech Suspended

24. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Interesting cheers

As a gadget freak will check it out. Didn't realise it was coming out yet as there were no news.

Still like the thought of an ipad after seeing my parents air 2

25. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I caved and got myself a 64 GB WiFi Air 2 last night. I will pass my Mini 2 to my daughter for her birthday. I was always frustrated by the display quality on the Mini 2 compared to the iPhone. It looks so washed out. I love the Air!