iPhone XR I got the XR. But now I have second thoughts.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tks900, Oct 26, 2018.

1. tks900 macrumors member

tks900

So finally I got my XR this morning! And I find myself happy with almost everything, including the display which I consider not goid, but gorgeous.

However: It’s quite big. And heavy. Coming from the 6S, this is a really different animal. I have large hands and am used to handle my phone with one hand. Impossible with the XR. This bulkiness of this thing becomes even more obvious when I use it with a case. I know many people won’t, but to me, the phone is just too slippery without a case and actually even harder to handle.

So the question is: will I get used to this? Or should I get the XS? Money is not even the biggest concern here, I really preferred the XR for its less polished look and most importantly, the battery life.

2. dillinkay macrumors newbie

3. jeremydc macrumors member

Yup, my biggest concern. With my bumper, it'll be wider than the naked Max. I'll test it out with reachability for a week.

4. Mackinjosh Suspended

You get used to it. At least I did when each subsequent Samsung phone I bought was bigger and bigger. the XS and X actually feel too small to me now, and the screen seems tiny when the pillars are put in place during videos. I went with the XR because it's larger than the XS which feels and looks too small to me, but smaller than the Max which feels way too big to me (the 7 plus also is way too big of a phone imo).

5. dillinkay macrumors newbie

i when to the plus back when it first came out (7 plus it think?) and it took me a good month to truly appreciate the size and adapt. After that switch, i couldnt possibly use a smaller device. The width makes typing so much easier and more ergonmic, and the screen realestate comes in handy with many different applicatioins.

Give it some time, at least a week.

6. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I agree with everyone else. Definitely give yourself some time to adjust. Once you get used to it, there’s no going back.

7. SHKLMRE macrumors 6502

It might take a few days to grow on you. It took me 2 weeks to be fully coortable with my Max. I would suggest looking at the X/XS, since it is physically the same size as the 6S. However another thing to think about might be that maybe the phone feels bigger because of the full screen and how you interact with it, more so than it’s physical size.

8. cherishzm macrumors regular

I’m sticking with my X because I tried the Plus sized iPhones and they will not fit in my front pocket - always sticks out and it’s uncomfortable!

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

You will get used to the size, and love the battery life. But the XS is smaller and a better phone if you want the smaller size.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

You’ve only had the phone since this morning. Give it some time.

11. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

A few years back I went from an iPhone 5s to an iPhone 6s Plus.

I thought I would like the larger screen, which I did, but only when I had two hands on it. It was impossible for me to use it one-handed. Trying to take one-handed photos would result in blurry images or me dropping the phone.

The large size and the rounded edges would cause the phone to pop out of my hands all the time.

I thought that maybe I would get used it it, but I never did. I ended up selling it after using it for 2 years, and I got an SE. I am much happier with the smaller phone.

12. tks900 thread starter macrumors member

tks900

Thanks everyone. Of course, I‘ll give it some time, I merely considered testing the XS in parallel. But maybe I don’t have to and will get used to it over the weekend. I should explain maybe that I‘m extra cautious because I suffer from chronic tendonitis ..

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

In that case the XS may be a better option. Will be easier on the hands.

14. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I remember going to the plus phones and thinking they were HUGE. Now, after owning 4 plus phones, I can’t imagine going to a phone as small as the XS, even though I LOVE holding it in my hand. I just really like the bigger phones.

Tried a Max but couldn’t handle the OLED; super excited to get the XR today and see what I think.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    But would you not put the same thing on the Max? I know I wouldn’t walk around with a naked $1000+ phone.

15. jeremydc macrumors member

I wouldn't either.

16. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

The XS is pretty heavy compared to a 6S as well.

17. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Just got mine and I LOVE the size! Coming from 8+ I think it’s definitely a noticeable difference - not a huge difference, but I didn’t really want that anyway. I won’t know for sure what my reachability will be like til I get my Loopy on - it’s due to arrive today also!

18. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Gotta give it time.

Larger the phone (give or take same materials as other models) = higher the density.

19. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

XR is very heavy, starting feeling pain in hand. Just spent about couple of hours. It’s thick too.

20. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Like everyone said.. you will get use to it. My gosh it's not that big. I don't even have large hands and I've never experienced pain in my hand! o_O

21. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I was going to consider it until I actually grabbed one in store this morning. It’s way too thick and heavy

22. Porterhouse macrumors 6502

Porterhouse

I don't get my XR until this afternoon. Is it that heavy, especially in comparison to the XS and Max? I figured that once I went to phone that was partly made of glass, it would be heavy.

I'll admit I've been having second thoughts as well. I love the look of the XR--I have since they announced it. But I'm curious whether I'll miss the premium camera. However, coming from an iphone 7+, I probably won't notice the difference. (That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.)

23. Sugadaddy macrumors regular

The Max is heavier, felt like a brick in my pocket with an Apple silicone case.

XR isn't far behind, but should be slightly better. All recent iPhones are heavier than when they had aluminum backs.

24. lenard macrumors 6502

When I first got the XS Max, I realized that its not the big. My hands can cover all parts of the screen and the more I look at it just seems to be the perfect size. I previously had the X...

25. tivoboy macrumors 68040

Yeah, going from a 6/7/8 form factor (and the 6 was a lighter than the 7 and 8 due to no glass back), to a XR or XS max for that matter would be a jump. I know, I did it. I went to an 8+ from a 6s, and it seemed HUGE. I love the screen though and I'm going to try the Xr. I tried the Xs Max but couldn't make it work.