Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Right, but I don't agree with you on this at all. What you're claiming is ludicrous.

That the 6 loads apps at LEAST a full 1-2 seconds faster? How is that ludicrous? It's fact in my experience. And it should be at least that much faster, it's a newer, better phone.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
From what I have seen, the 5S was ahead of its time and overpowered for what it needed to do (CPU/GPU-wise)..the only performance drawback could arguably be the 1GB RAM.

The 6 specs are just good enough for it to run smoothly and the 6+ struggles.

In summary, I think the 5S will go down as one of the most future-proof iPhones ever.

I think you're right for the most part. The big challenge I have with my 5S is battery life though. Still, I'm going to hold out for the iPhone 6S Plus, or whatever they'll call it. I think that'll get me the best value I'm looking for in a "phablet" iPhone.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
That the 6 loads apps at LEAST a full 1-2 seconds faster? How is that ludicrous? It's fact in my experience. And it should be at least that much faster, it's a newer, better phone.

I would be careful throwing those numbers around. The 4S doesn't even take 2 seconds to launch an app since 8.1.1.

Ars Technica 8.1.1

Moreover, you're pretty alone in this matter judging by the replies here. That doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong, but I'd love it if you could show substantial benchmarks which would support your claim. There's nothing from Anandtechs in terms of benchmarks that would support your statement in terms of speed.

The A8 is simply an evolution of A7 which means it's based on the same architecture of the A7 (which was ahead of its time). The difference really boils down to the A8 being fabricated on a 20 nm process. That gives it a performance increase of 21-30% in various benchmarks, which rarely ever scales perfectly to real life performance.

A8: Apple’s First 20nm SoC

These are the most popular "speed tests" I could find. The apps seem to launch pretty equal.

iPhone 6 Plus vs iPhone 6 vs iPhone 5s Speed Test

iPhone 6 Plus vs. iPhone 5S - Speed Test

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I would be careful throwing those numbers around. The 4S doesn't even take 2 seconds to launch an app since 8.1.1.

Ars Technica 8.1.1

Moreover, you're pretty alone in this matter judging by the replies here. That doesn't necessarily mean you're wrong, but I'd love it if you could show substantial benchmarks which would support your claim. There's nothing from Anandtechs in terms of benchmarks that would support your statement in terms of speed.

The A8 is simply an evolution of A7 which means it's based on the same architecture of the A7 (which was ahead of its time). The difference really boils down to the A8 being fabricated on a 20 nm process. That gives it a performance increase of 21-30% in various benchmarks, which rarely ever scales perfectly to real life performance.

These are the most popular "speed tests" I could find. The apps seem to launch pretty equal.

8.1 speeds up a 4S? I thought older hardware generally slowed down incrementally with software updates?

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
8.1 speeds up a 4S? I thought older hardware generally slowed down incrementally with software updates?

Generally, but it doesn't always have to be the case. However, the ".0" releases for a new iOS has been quite shoddy. For instance, the performance for iPhone 4 suffered greatly from iOS 7.0, but improved significantly when 7.1 was released.

Given that Apple lately has a trend of releasing unpolished software riddled with bugs and performance hits, one could assume that it would still get noticeably better with future updates.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Ars Technica 8.1.1

Wrong, the 25% increase in performance is not due to it being in a 20nm node, it only got a 100 mhz increase from the A7, which is about 7-8%, it has gotten substantial architectutral tweaks to get jt up 25% on the CPU side over the A7, memory latency is noticeably down on the A8 compared to A7 too

In some benchmarks the A8 is over 40% faster then the A7

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
From what I have seen, the 5S was ahead of its time and overpowered for what it needed to do (CPU/GPU-wise)..the only performance drawback could arguably be the 1GB RAM.

The 6 specs are just good enough for it to run smoothly and the 6+ struggles.

In summary, I think the 5S will go down as one of the most future-proof iPhones ever.

Went from a 6 to a 6 Plus and it screams just as fast and is just as blazing fast from the 6 I owned for over a month and a half and have owned the Plus already for almost a month, both are equally screaming fast and I have no issues at all on my 6 Plus, it simply crushes everything I run at it, and crushes games with amazing fidelity and also super high frame rate

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Went from a 6 to a 6 Plus and it screams just as fast and is just as blazing fast from the 6 I owned for over a month and a half and have owned the Plus already for almost a month, both are equally screaming fast and I have no issues at all on my 6 Plus, it simply crushes everything I run at it, and crushes games with amazing fidelity and also super high frame rate

Welcome to MR, Phil Schiller! :cool:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Welcome to MR, Phil Schiller! :cool:

Its the truth, my 6 Plus blows away the S5 that I came from (which i got the 6 first but then changed to Plus after getting 6 first going from the S5)

Plus is absolutely great for gaming too on mobile

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.