Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I've been a big glossy-only hater since this became the norm a little over a year ago. I've got a matte ViewSonic LCD monitor and matte MBP mainly because I just hate glare.

But when using my uncle's iMac over the weekend, the glare wasn't really much of an issue. It did have a little bit, but it wasn't near as bad as I saw in The Apple Store. Even with the brightness at about 80 percent, there was just the tiniest glare in the corners, which I kinda ignored after a bit. And oh yeah, it's f#%*ing bright.

So I guess this is a shoutout to all the others who fear the glossy. I'd still prefer a matte option, but at least this isn't the cheapo CRT's that were glare magnets.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
yep.

using it and seeing it at a store are completely different.
Like watching TV, yes old CRTs had glare too but when you are involved, it is barely noticeable, when your eyes wonder...then maybe you see it more but then aren't focused on the screen image.

i do not mind. and neither did my friend who needed to use my computer the other day and he thought he would hate it (he listens to techie podcasts who hate it - so he hated them until he used mine).

Passive101

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
I hate the glare on my iMac, but I did trade for it so I can't complain to much.

Watching movies I see my reflection, in excel I see the windows and my reflection.

On the desktop I see my reflection.

If there is not to much black it is ok. I have gotten over the initial I can not work with it mentality though :)

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I've been a big glossy-only hater since this became the norm a little over a year ago. I've got a matte ViewSonic LCD monitor and matte MBP mainly because I just hate glare.

But when using my uncle's iMac over the weekend, the glare wasn't really much of an issue. It did have a little bit, but it wasn't near as bad as I saw in The Apple Store. Even with the brightness at about 80 percent, there was just the tiniest glare in the corners, which I kinda ignored after a bit. And oh yeah, it's f#%*ing bright.

So I guess this is a shoutout to all the others who fear the glossy. I'd still prefer a matte option, but at least this isn't the cheapo CRT's that were glare magnets.

So your mind was able to filter out the glare after some training. That's normal. But with matte you don't have to deal with that distraction leaving that portion of your brain able to work on useful things.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So your mind was able to filter out the glare after some training. That's normal. But with matte you don't have to deal with that distraction leaving that portion of your brain able to work on useful things.

Good thing my brain is powerful enough to let me multitask :D

zombie1210

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
I like the glossy on my new 24 inch. Wasn't sure I would, but its great.

dsc02021aq7.jpg

Yeah, I know...the keyboards are swapped.
:eek:

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
are you using the glossy in the dark? i'm still convinced glossy would be irritating in a room with lights.

gamer2502

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2008
near Pittsburgh,pa
glossy vs matte

I:apple: thought the same i feared glossy but when i got the new mb i turned the brightness up to 50% and there was so little glare i just decided that glossy is a friend not a enemy but i still prefer matte because there is no glare and you get ''true'' colors but thats just my opinion.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
that's cool but doesn't that make editing photos slightly harder for printing when the colors aren't as "true"?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
just a side note. Matte's do have a diffused glare. It is less noticeable but still there. Just like looking at a wall or desk or anything that is 'matte' there is a slight sheen to it. the difference is the matte screens show a diffused glare and is harder to notice, but still there. the glossy screens show the glare right away and you can adjust if needed.

cleetusvandamm

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
The glare was never that bothersome to me
Im also using those curly q flourescent bulbs GE makes as my overhead lighting which cuts down the glare quite bit from when I had regular incandescent bulbs in

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
just a side note. Matte's do have a diffused glare. It is less noticeable but still there. Just like looking at a wall or desk or anything that is 'matte' there is a slight sheen to it. the difference is the matte screens show a diffused glare and is harder to notice, but still there. the glossy screens show the glare right away and you can adjust if needed.

The diffusion of glare on a matte screen also diffuses the image on the screen slightly. Images on the glossy iMac don't have that light diffusion, so images really pop off the screen. I love the way my media looks on my glossy 24" iMac. It was one of the main reasons I was excited by this computer.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
I originally thought I would dislike a 27" glossy screen since I had only seen them in an overly bright Apple store. As soon as I took mine out of the box and set it up I fell in love with it. My photographs pop and movies are wonderful. Now that Epson has SL drivers for my 2200 I will try to print and see if what I see on the screen actually prints. My cameras are set to Adobe RGB 1998 and the montior is also set to Adobe RGB 1998 (for viewing photos to print). Since I will be printing with Adobe software, if I let the software control the printer the prints should be fine. Guess I will be doing a lot of test prints again to get it right.

Thats what i was tellin you befo! I'm glad someone on the matte side is seeing my pint (I've discussed this in the "Comon :apple: Where is the antiglare BTO option on the MBP" thread)

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I was one of the biggest critics of glossy screens when Apple first introduced them, but now they've grown on me and I actually prefer them.

Guess Apple has brainwashed me.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
the stores are brighter than a normal room. They also use different lights than you would normally use.

I personally, never had a problem with the whole glossy thing. I actually like it a lot. Not a big fan of mat displays. They annoy me.

But I think that if you're smart and you can set up your room correctly, so that the computer isn't directly facing the light, then you'll be very happy with the glass displays.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I would never return to hard-to-clean, dull, vulnerable matte screens.
They look so flat and lifeless after using glossy for a while. And the easy-to-clean, hard-wearing glass keeps everything pristine.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
I have a big overhead light in my room and it doesn't bother me. If it glosses anywhere (err..reflects) its on the black edges (the backlit keyboard always shows on the black part of the bottom of the screen where it says MacBook Pro) but I always disliked how Matte made everything look. When I look at black I want it to be black... not grey.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.