Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Though readers here may not have the all information regarding you situation, it's clear you don't need a MBA or MBP. These laptops are nice to have, not needs. And, if you're having financial issues with real needs the last thing you should be focusing on is a toy.

Good luck in your decision.

What would you have me use in my studio then instead of a computer? A hard-disk multi track recorder? Maybe I should just ditch the apogee duet 2, and Maschine as well. This is clearly not being used as a toy to tinker around on. Maybe you use yours as a toy, but my need of laptop is quite necessary. However, that is a subject that is beyond the scope of the initial post.

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
What would you have me use in my studio then instead of a computer? A hard-disk multi track recorder? Maybe I should just ditch the apogee duet 2, and Maschine as well. This is clearly not being used as a toy to tinker around on. Maybe you use yours as a toy, but my need of laptop is quite necessary. However, that is a subject that is beyond the scope of the initial post.

Your first post did not indicate that you used your Mac's to generate income. Actually, it's still not clear if that is the case. The post made you sound like you had two higher-priced discretionary items (i.e. laptops are not "needs" - last I checked you can survive w/o a computer) that you had to sell due to an unfortunate circumstance. You later indicated you were saving for closing costs on a house but gave no indication what your actual needs were for the Mac's.

At any rate - it sounds like you are going to do whatever you want. I would encourage you to really assess your needs in private and not post them in public. Because honestly - you open yourself up to threads like this where people will tell you what you really don't want to hear.

;)

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Seriously dude. Get a cheap windows system. Especially if it will take 5 more months just to make up the difference between a low end MBA and a low end MBP (which is only $200, btw). You need that money for other things.

Also, just to combat some of the incorrect info on this thread, the nvidia 320m graphics on the 2010 MBA is indeed an integrated graphics chip. And yes, it uses system memory which is slower than the current system memory Apple is using. The benchmarks are in, the Intel integrated graphics from Sandy Bridge (HD3000) are just as fast, and sometimes a little faster, than the 320m. I saw only one benchmark that noted it as being slower, at least when it came to the 13 inch MBP.

(Source: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/8 )

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I will never be going back to Windows as I love Mac OS, and their hardware way too much. (track pad is a godsend.) A major piece of my studio which is my audio interface only operates with Mac so Windows is completely out of the picture. I feel this thread got way off track of what my initial intentions for it were. Oh well, it was my own fault as I shouldn't have mentioned something as personal as that. Any way, since some of it is already out of the bag, I will explain the house thing just a little. First off, it is not even my house. It's a close relative who needed the extra money for closing costs and I felt obligated to help them any way possible. (Hopefully this doesn't start a discussion of my moral character now.) Their financial issues shouldn't now determine my future laptop purchase. Maybe I shouldn't have, maybe I should have, that's done with however. Myself on the other hand, I don't make a ton of money but I manage. I actually think it's pretty good to be able to save up an extra $1000.00 in five months minus all the other bills I have every month to pick up a new computer.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
I will never be going back to Windows as I love Mac OS, and their hardware way too much. (track pad is a godsend.) A major piece of my studio which is my audio interface only operates with Mac so Windows is completely out of the picture. I feel this thread got way off track of what my initial intentions for it were. Oh well, it was my own fault as I shouldn't have mentioned something as personal as that. Any way, since some of it is already out of the bag, I will explain the house thing just a little. First off, it is not even my house. It's a close relative who needed the extra money for closing costs and I felt obligated to help them any way possible. (Hopefully this doesn't start a discussion of my moral character now.) Their financial issues shouldn't now determine my future laptop purchase. Maybe I shouldn't have, maybe I should have, that's done with however. Myself on the other hand, I don't make a ton of money but I manage. I actually think it's pretty good to be able to save up an extra $1000.00 in five months minus all the other bills I have every month to pick up a new computer.

Just out of curiosity, which exact systems are you looking at? A base 13 inch MBP is $1200, and a base 11 inch MBA is $1,000. You say that over 5 months you would be able to save an extra $1,000 to get a MBP, which indicates to me you're actually looking at a 15 or 17 inch model. I have to say, on a tight budget, you can't do much better than the base 13" MBP, but are you looking at something else?

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Just out of curiosity, which exact systems are you looking at? A base 13 inch MBP is $1200, and a base 11 inch MBA is $1,000. You say that over 5 months you would be able to save an extra $1,000 to get a MBP, which indicates to me you're actually looking at a 15 or 17 inch model. I have to say, on a tight budget, you can't do much better than the base 13" MBP, but are you looking at something else?

You bring up a very good point that I somehow overlooked. The 13" MBP. I actually sort of forgot about the 13"MBP to be honest. It is within price range as well, and might just be the ticket for now. I think the reason I originally excluded it in my first initial endevour with Mac products is that the screen resolution was described as being unacceptable with the current state of technology. I really need to go back to BestBuy and have another look at the 13"MBP I think.

Thanks again for bringing this back into my attention. :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Definitely consider the 13" MacBook Pro. While it won't have the SSD (adding one pushes it past the most expensive Air), it does have FireWire, Thunderbolt, and expandability.

OT, but on the house, I'd get your agreement with your relatives in writing. Since you are helping them with their costs and putting your own money at risk, make sure you have a means to get that back once times are good again (or at the very least aren't seen as don't have any obligations if they fall behind).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.