I hate Adobe Updater!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wheezy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

This is mainly just a rant... I hate the Adobe Updater. Launch Photoshop, try to get started on something, then i get a never ending beach ball while my Macbook fans kick on and I realize... it's the stupid Adobe Updater freaking out my system! They really can't come up with a more background way to do this? Really??

</rant>

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. Col127 macrumors 6502

lol preach it. i hate it too. it's so obtrusive!

4. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I hear ya! But what should we do...

*reaches for the pitchfork and burning torch*

....what do you mean out of date?! ;)

Yeah....I have a MacBook too....those fans kicking in are a sign of an imminent 'Adobe Nightmare' on the horizon!

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

'There is an update for adobe updater. Would you like to install it?' :rolleyes:

I HATE ADOBE UPDATER.

6. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Woohoo! I don't suffer alone... sadly I probably suffer in vain.... I'm pretty sure there isn't a death to the Updater on the Adobe roadmap.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I just wish there was a way to tell it not to look for updates on apps I never EVER use. Does it look for updates if you delete the app?

8. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I don't know the answer, but can you kill the updater and just download updates from the website? Is this possible? Adobe updater is like a nagging little child that constantly needs to be changed.

Even to install Adobe reader on my parent's system, I had to jump through seventeen hoops of downloading and installing the updater, updating the installer, installing the software, updating the software, updating the installer.....

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

What would there be to download? They only update the most useless programs. Like an update to updater, an update to bridge, an update to stock photos, an update to help, an update to kazakhstan language support, everything but an update to photoshop so it works better in leopard.

10. jwt macrumors 6502

I just changed the settings so that I have to manually check for updates. Now it never opens.

11. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

On my Windows machine at work, the adobe updater pops up, and it attempts to download only to discover it can't get past our own firewall.

So, the window just sort of hangs around until you cancel it.

And then when you cancel it, it takes a good 60 seconds to actually cancel and go away.

sigh.

12. wheezy thread starter macrumors 65816

wheezy

Oh come on! You're taking the fun out of ranting :)

13. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Blasphemy!!! :p :D

14. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

How ironic is it this: the very company that produces tools for design shows no knowledge of concepts of design and functionality. Sadly, disguising the glaring flaws and bloat in the software under the mask of "professionality" has worked well for them thus far .

15. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

+1

Half the time it doesn't even finish updating - it just says there was a problem. Typical of Adobe of late me thinks :rolleyes:

16. Col127 macrumors 6502

i don't believe! :p

17. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

While we're ranting, why does CS1 run smooth as silk but CS3 makes my G5 feel like it's a G3 300mhz? The trade off in features doesn't feel worth it.

18. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

The Adobe Updates folder bugs the hell out of me. By default its set to appear in your documents folder. If you delete it then reopen a CS product the folder recreates itself. :mad:

This also goes for quite a few apps too, especially games. You spend ages cleaning up your documents folder then install something that insists it needs a permanent folder to store temporary items. So your documents folder is now just a freakin mess of folders that are forced upon you, that can not be removed, renamed or erased.

I now have a documents folder inside my documents folder to get away from all the crap that is forced upon me. Roxio Converted Items anyone?

But I digress... Adobe Updater is a pain in the ass!

19. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Yup. I've got the Roxio Converted Items folder amongst others. I always thought ~/Library/Application Support was intended for that kind of thing :confused:

20. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Apple needs to get Adobe's updates to go through the OS X Software updater...

Microsoft has done it. Why can't Adobe? *sigh*.

I hate Adobe Updater too.

21. powz macrumors regular

Which settings did you change exactly?

22. Benjamin Rossen macrumors newbie

Benjamin Rossen

Hanging Adobe Updater

I am having the same problem, with the Adobe Update freezing my MacPro and disabling all other applications. The only way unfreeze the system and get to work again is by a cold boot (remove power and start again), but after that no Adobe CS3 application will work. It is necessary to uninstall CS3 and re-install the entire suite. However, within hours or days the Updater re-appears and the same thing happens again.

I have contacted Adobe and have a case number for this problem. I was advised to use an Adobe utility called 'Clean' to ensure that the re-install of the system is completely fresh. I have used this twice after two subsequent freeze up events, at two levels of clean, but this does not help. Once again, within hours or days the Update reappears and freezes everything again. This has now happened for the fifth time.

Today I phoned Adobe support and, despite clicking the numbers indicated by their excessively long voice menu, and entering my case number, and after playing horrible music at me for 10 minutes Adobe hung up the phone. I called a second time, and as I write this I am listening to the horrible music for nearly 20 minutes!

Apparently Adobe has become too large and too much of a monopoly to care any more about the havoc its products are causing. I lose half a day each time this happens, and I cannot afford this kind of lost productivity. I am thinking of putting this problem into the hands of a lawyer.

Any ideas anyone?

23. thegilly macrumors member

I looked for a way to disable the Adobe Updater. Couldn't find one. So I trashed it. Now on launch of PS I get an error message saying that Adobe Updater can't be found and I need to reinstall components.

Oh, well, at least that message pops up promptly and it's only one click to dismiss it. I hate the Adobe Updater. And if you guys above are right, now I have one more reason to detest the thing--that it's the culprit behind the invariably empty 'Updater' folder that keeps reappearing in my Documents folder no matter how many times I delete it.

I'd like to say this is a trivial detail we're all so wound up about, but really, given how often we have to deal with it vs. how often there actually *are* life-changingly-necessary updates available ...

24. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

My favorite Updater dialog box is attached below- I had to screenshot this one when it appeared! :D I understand what they are saying, but you would think they could reword it to be just a little less bizarre!

Attached Files:

25. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I trashed it a while ago and I don't recall seeing it pop up lately . . .