Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
DVDs are tiny. Only some 5GB. DVD TV are only 576 pixels high - at the most. And DVD movies are even lower resolution.

They're too big for their capacity and they're old tech. Putting them aside as a detachable unit was the best option.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Who said anything about Apple inventing anything? lol :D

Apple just makes bold moves every now and then, changes the industry. Rumor has it they'll eliminate the headphone jack on the iPhone 7. A fairly logical follow up to the rise of Bluetooth headphones, would still be a very controversial move. Apple can pull it off though and in two years others will follow (if rumors are actually true). Same story with SuperDrive, floppy disk, 12" MacBook. No invention, just another controversial move.

Blue tooth headphones also cost an arm and a leg while the apple headphones are free and come with the unit.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado

Apple has sold machines without optical drives for 5 years. And physical media is dying anyway, while streaming is exploding and has been for years now, but am not sure why you are mixing the discussion of physical media on computers with that on TVs?

This is false. They still do sell the 2012 MBP which has a DVD drive.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Blue tooth headphones also cost an arm and a leg while the apple headphones are free and come with the unit.

They cost $20-40 on Amazon. Thats right in the same price range as Apples earpods.
[doublepost=1456781344][/doublepost]
This is false. They still do sell the 2012 MBP which has a DVD drive.

The person you quoted never said that apple has ONLY sold computers without optical drives, just that Apple has been selling computers without optical drives for 5 years. It has actually been 8 years.

ajforbes20

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
USA
This is Apples M.O. They will continue to push technologies into obsolesces so that your forced to buy from them again.
Best thing you could do is just buy the digital codes online for a couple of bucks. Or rip your collection and store it in the cloud

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
They cost $20-40 on Amazon. Thats right in the same price range as Apples earpods.
[doublepost=1456781344][/doublepost]

The person you quoted never said that apple has ONLY sold computers without optical drives, just that Apple has been selling computers without optical drives for 5 years. It has actually been 8 years.

But the apple earbuds cost nothing because they ship with the unit. They also do not run on batteries.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
Optical media is obsolete, convert your discs to digital with handbrake and enjoy them anywhere

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I was fortunate to have purchased my MacBook Pro with a built in DVD player and am saddened that Apple feels the need to discontinue it on all their Mac's even their desktops. Apple needs to realize that some of us have massive DVD libraries and we cannot afford to re-purchase them on iTunes and besides not all of my DVD's are available on iTunes. Also I regularly receive sermon CD's once a month and the publisher only sends them out in CD format so its nice having that CD player. I do not feel the need to digitize every single CD that I receive. These are some of my reasons why I think it was unwise to drop the DVD player on their Macs.

In this age most people can download the contents Of a CD faster than you can put a CD in your computer and load it.

dying technology. Soon they don't even be in cars. Personality, especially if looking at a pc laptop. I automatically rule out anything that has a DVD drive. Wasted space

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Optical media is obsolete, convert your discs to digital with handbrake and enjoy them anywhere

Do you know how many DVD's I have? Do you honestly have a clue what you are asking? Do you assume I have the time to fart around and do all this converting work wit my busy schedule?

Last edited:

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I take it you do not have a DVD library of movies.

I have about a hundred legit DVDs. I find it way easier to just scroll through folders on my NAS for them instead. Also have waaaay better quality on there.
Also have a few vhs laying about. I don't own a vhs player.
[doublepost=1456806501][/doublepost]
Do you know how many DVD's I have? Do you honestly have a clue what you are asking? Do you assume I have the time to fart around and do all this converting work wit my busy schedule?
I don't understand why you don't watch through a DVD player and tv then? Much better experience than on a 70" than a 13" screen.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
But the apple earbuds cost nothing because they ship with the unit. They also do not run on batteries.

Do you think Apple is going to continue shipping EarPods with the iPhone if it doesn't have a headphone jack? They'll either include Bluetooth headphones or people will have to get used to buying headphones along with their iPhones, or people will have to find a way to do without. You know, kind of like optical drive situation you're complaining about.

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
Do you think Apple is going to continue shipping EarPods with the iPhone if it doesn't have a headphone jack? They'll either include Bluetooth headphones or people will have to get used to buying headphones along with their iPhones, or people will have to find a way to do without. You know, kind of like optical drive situation you're complaining about.

*If* the rumor holds that they remove the headphone jack, it's just as likely they would develop a lightning capable earbud to include with those devices

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
I was fortunate to have purchased my MacBook Pro with a built in DVD player and am saddened that Apple feels the need to discontinue it on all their Mac's even their desktops. Apple needs to realize that some of us have massive DVD libraries and we cannot afford to re-purchase them on iTunes and besides not all of my DVD's are available on iTunes. Also I regularly receive sermon CD's once a month and the publisher only sends them out in CD format so its nice having that CD player. I do not feel the need to digitize every single CD that I receive. These are some of my reasons why I think it was unwise to drop the DVD player on their Macs.

Meh. Why? I could understand wanting a rewriteable bluray drive, but dvds?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

EarPods will still be free. You will get EarPods with the Lighting end instead of a 3.5mm end.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014

the tone of this post makes me assume that youre trolling.

its 2016, literally nobody uses discs. everything is streamed or downloaded to/from flash memory or hard drives. you are a minority, your options are the 2012 mbp which is still sold with an optical drive or the apple super drive or any external drive from a retailer

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have about a hundred legit DVDs. I find it way easier to just scroll through folders on my NAS for them instead. Also have waaaay better quality on there.
Also have a few vhs laying about. I don't own a vhs player.
[doublepost=1456806501][/doublepost]
I don't understand why you don't watch through a DVD player and tv then? Much better experience than on a 70" than a 13" screen.

I watch DVD's on my 2012 MBP.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I watch DVD's on my 2012 MBP.

And when that dies you'll have to change your habits or buy another make of computer. That's the way it is. I'd get in there quick before the only machines available with a optical drive are cheap and nasty rubbish using old tech.

Reactions: poematik13

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
And when that dies you'll have to change your habits or buy another make of computer. That's the way it is. I'd get in there quick before the only machines available with a optical drive are cheap and nasty rubbish using old tech.

I have a 3 year apple warranty and it has not even been a year since I bought mine.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I just encode or stream is simply more convent. I travel a lot for work, Vietnam right now :), carrying physical media is just a drag, a 2-3Tb external drive solves all. Even this 1.2 rMB has over 300Gb of media onboard, so it`s not like I`am going to get bored any time soon, and if I do there`s always my movies ;)

Even my tablet has >100Gb of video loaded, only way I deal with physical media these days is if the specific content is not available digitally, then I just rip the disk, and I`ve gone from VHS, DVD, now to fully digital

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.