I HATE Microsoft

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by WiiMarioHacker, Aug 3, 2010.

1. WiiMarioHacker macrumors member

Yesterday I installed Windows 7 (32 Bit) in a VirtualBox Virtual Machine; but the machine got corrupt; so I reinstall Windows 7 again, today. I could not enter my product key, so I did the "slmgr.vbs /ipk PRODUCT KEY" then "slmgr /ato" (without quotes) and a few moments later a message came up saying that "The activation server determined that the specified product key has been blocked."

This is a legal copy of Windows 7 bought at Christmas 2009. (which pisses me off because I did not pirate it.)

This is why I love Apple; NO product keys to worry about. (But I need Windows 7 for some Win-Only programs.)

I can see a lawsuit arising because of this issue effecting even LEGAL copies.

2. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Where did you buy it from?

Usually blocked keys are blocked because they are part of a subscription and the keys have been stolen and resold or a person is trying sell keys from a subscription.

If you have the box and and COA then you can call the windows activation center and argue with them a bit. They will eventually transfer you to someone that will listen to your story and give you a new key if they believe you.

3. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

If it hasn't happened yet, I don't know if it will.

Just call up their support. At that point they can activate for you.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

You probably entered the key in wrong or your internet was dead. A simple call to the support would have fixed this problem.

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I agree with you completely my friend. About a year ago I was struggling with installing windows xp on my parents old machine (because the hard drive crashed, go figure :rolleyes: ) and everything was going fine. When it came time to supply the product key and all that good junk it wouldn't let me do jack. It kept telling me the key was invalid and all that business. I had to get a completely different copy of windows xp just to make it work. Microsoft and I don't play well together. I <3 :apple:

6. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

^ And why didn't you just call to activate over the phone? It take 5 minutes (at most), and is free.

7. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Each key has a limited number of activations - all you have to do is call microsoft and they'll help you.

8. zaffle macrumors member

yup, my key didn't work either, so i just called the automated activation number, followed the steps and was golden.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never had a problem with activating windows, and why didn't you just call. Usually a failed activation will go through via the phone.

As others have stated where did you buy the OS from. A reputable retailer? They block the product keys that have been pirated, so if they accidentally block yours calling them will fix that issue.

If you purchased the software from a shady dealer for pennies on the dollar, or pirated the software, then why the hate because of the shady (or illegal) deal.

10. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I'm a fan of Microsoft and some of their products, but I have to agree, I think product activation keys are more of a pain for the end user. I have reinstalled Windows 7 several times on the same computer (I do computer science at university which has involved me install weird software and Linux which as buggered a few things up a number of times.) and now I can only activate Windows over the phone because the key has been flagged as repeatedly being used.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

As said, call support, they'll be able to tell you why the key has been blocked, I had 2 XP discs worth of installs blocked, you can only install windows up to 5 or 10 times i think, very frustrating.

12. valvehead macrumors regular

You're doing something wrong if you have to reinstall multiple times. Besides, all you have to do is make a ghost image of a clean, activated install. No reactivation necessary.

13. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I did nothing in particular. When I tried installing Fedora on a second partition, it broke something on the Windows side which caused it to BSoD every time during boot. I tried installing Fedora a second time and then tried the new Ubuntu and they both kept on corrupting something on the Windows side. Regardless, I just reinstalled Windows 7 (by doing a format install to wipe everything clean, I do this every time I install an OS). I keep all of my data backed up on an external drive so reinstalling Windows has never been an issue for me.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

The windows 7 versions that come preinstalled don't need a key anymore. It's only the retail dvd versions that are bought without a computer. Obviously it could be installed millions of times on millions of computers if they didn't do anything to protect their product. For most people, they would only install it 0 or 1 times in the lifetime of the computer, and wouldn't worry about running into activation limits.

15. Argon21 macrumors member

"make a ghost image". Is that something that the Windows 7 installer can do? No? Oh, so you're suggesting he spend more money to buy a 3rd party piece of software, just to ensure that his Windows OS installation goes smoothly?

Windows is such a joke.

16. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Or maybe the built in System Image Recovery. But I wouldnt expect you to bring up the built in free software :apple:

Besides I dont see the big deal in calling a number and getting it activated. I believe its automated anyways. Maybe you have a better alternative to keys for protecting a multi billion dollar product though.

17. valvehead macrumors regular

The average user would not be doing multiple full re-installs. If you are the kind of person to be tinkering and installing questionable software that may hose the installation, then you know the risks and should be prepared to restore from an image.

There is no need to spend extra money on imaging/backup software. Windows 7 has its own built-in backup. There are also several free utilities available. There is no excuse for not having a full backup.

18. formerglory macrumors newbie

formerglory

Instead of bashing MS, take 5 minutes and use the phone to activate Windows.

Not a big deal.

19. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

They even provide toll free numbers for dozens of countries around the world to help you do it!

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Right on.

Previously I had iWork trial installed, so I uninstalled it. Then I proceeded to install from the disk. Everything went fine except now it was asking for a product key. There was no product key. instead of bashing Microsoft, I just did a quick Google search and found my answer.

Call Microsoft.

21. marykom macrumors newbie

Microsoft knows that Windows can not ignore the error and drops so it does look bad. The easy solution is to throw a Ignore button in there, not just work automatically and by default it can solve general protection fault or that the screen requires you to close it.

22. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

I'm with you on that one!

I've had to ring a few times but I don't mind as every time I've been outside of the EULA and upgraded a part of the system and as a result should have lost the OEM rights that the system was given when it was installed.
    As long as it's not a brand new system then MS are always very helpful and activate the system :)

In fairness I would never expect them to re activate and OEM copy of Windows if it had been used on a totally different system. I've agreed not to do so the first time I installed it when I accepted the EULA.

Mac's are different as they all ship with OSX it's not like Windows where there are different versions so they need to have a way to manage who get's what.

As the quote above said, a 5 minute call would have more then likely fixed everything.

Windows it's self no but Acronis is only £20 so that would have coved you.
    Acronis is a fantastic tool :)

23. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The problem with OEM/System Builder now is that the EULA does not apply. OEM/SBE is sold to System Builders under the System Builders License. One requirement of the license is resale to an end user who is an unrelated third party. You can't accept the current "OEM license" without also agreeing that you are not the end user and the computer is designated for resale.

I have no issues with off license use. What I have a problem with is people (not necessarily you since you acknowledge your off license use earlier) thinking that they are in compliance with the license when they have clearly not read it at all.

OEM/System Builders editions of Microsoft programs are simply not licensed directly to end users. Sure, they (can) work, but it must be understood that this use is off license.

B

24. Kaviar macrumors member

Kaviar

Fair point, poor wording on my part, apologies.
    You still can't transfer the licence to a new system, only the system to a new person(s).

Like you said I have no issue with OEM, it is what it is :)

I flack it from customers all the time about this.
    I sell systems for a living and when customers look at our rage of systems they think that can save a few £$ by reusing their copy of Windows and it comes as a shock they can't.

Some people just aren't as honest/forthcoming as you and I.
    I'd never sell a product without letting customers know everything they should know, it's a shame some places are out for a quick buck and forget about the customer :(

25. robbo91 macrumors newbie

Hehe, I bought a netbook with windows 7 on it (with intentions of installing Ubuntu and using it mostly), but I couldn't even get past the first loading screen (the one where you first turn on the computer after removing it from the box). I probably should have returned the netbook, but I just put Ubuntu on it and now it works great.