I HATE safari 4!!! How do I change it?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by motulist, Jul 25, 2009.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I was just doing a bunch of updates through software update and I accidentally "upgraded" to safari 4 - and I HATE it with a passion! Still, I only want to downgrade to safari 3 as a last option because safari 3 had worse performance on my computer. So if I can change the things I hate about safari 4 then that'd be the best route.

1) How do I make the url search suggestions go back to the old way it used to work? Meaning how do I get it so the matching bookmark items are the top hit instead of some random garbage in my surfing history?

2) how do I get rid of that stupid annoyingly flashy blue page-loading progress button thing? I hate that fricken thing. I almost don't care if I don't get to see any type of progress indicator, I just want that stupid distracting thing to go away and never come back.

3) how do I make it not display the site's mini-icon in each tab?

I'm sure there are more, but lets start here.

p.s. I already found Glims, and figured out how to make glims get rid of the hated search field suggestions.

Okay, I figured out how to solve number 3. In glims you have to uncheck the box called "show fav-icon on tab label". Can any help me with the other problems?

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I also hate how the Cancel Page / Reload Page button is all the way over to the right - actually within the address bar. And in the Customize Toolbar window, this button doesn't even exist as an option. So I can't have the button where it was in S3 - right next to the Previous / Next Page button. Kinda annoying!

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

#1 and #2 are something you'll have to live with if you want to use Safari.

Unless you want to mess around with the source code yourself.

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

5. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

6. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Firefox has it's own set of problems that make me not want to use it.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Such as...?

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

My list of problems has been huge with firefox. Processor intensive on my oldermacs, and for somereason I constantly get that "cannot connect to server" in firefox but not in safari.

9. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    It's slower.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not on a competent internet connection.

11. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Not everybody as one (though I do) and truth is, some browsers are faster then others...and safari is fast

12. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

It launches much more slowly.

It seems to surf more slowly.

It's general appearance is ugly looking to me. That's just my personal opinion.

I dislike how it displays certain things, like that weird un-Mac-like text cursor it shows you when you're writing in a web page's text field.

... and stuff like that.

13. no.1 Apple Fan macrumors regular

no.1 Apple Fan

You should keep Safari 4. Back when it was in beta I used the Terminal command to keep the blue loading bar because I missed it:D. When I installed the new Safari 4 (not Beta) It took that away, and I like what it has now. I don't know if the terminal commands that were around when the beta came out still work, but I know if you do some searching on www.mroogle.com (how do you get the link just to say Mroogle?) you should find some commands.

14. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Dude, it's just a browser. You won't be driving around town with it or wearing it to the prom.

FF 3.5 seems a bit faster (but not as fast as Safari). You can also change its appearance with skins.

And it kicks Safari's ass when it comes to add-ons.

15. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

16. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

I already just did. That partial list (above) of things I don't like about firefox came from me actually launching firefox again so I could look it over in order to remember the things I don't like about it so that I could actually write them out here. (and yes, it's the latest version, it just auto updated itself a few days ago).

I stare at my web browser for several hours each day, so the way it looks and acts is important. When a program is not mac-like in the way it looks or acts, then it disrupts my work flow as I switch back and forth between apps. Regarding the plug ins, I haven't heard of any plug ins that are compelling enough to make me switch browsers. Safari has adblock and glims, and that seems to do all the add-on capabilities that I would want.

Listen, I think safari is an awesome browser, there's no reason for me to switch. The only thing I don't like about is some of the new interface elements they just added in version 4. Even if I can't fix these things, I'd rather deal with the annoying new page-loading icon instead of the much larger list of things that I don't like about firefox, which I've already partially enumerated.

17. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

get a new browser. Try stainless. It an extremely fast, lightweight, simple browser. It is still in beta but it has some promising new features coming out. I use it as my primary browser now as I dislike Safari and wanted to try something else besides firefox. I really like firefox but the simplicity of Stainless is great. I would really urge you to try it. You will like it more than you anticipate once you start using it.

18. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I really liked the beta better. Tabs on the top = win.

Also the pinch to zoom worked more like the iphone rather than just resizing the text one size each time. Anyone get what I'm saying?

19. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Yep, the beta was better. Ran faster, somehow stabler, and had tabs on top. I, too, use Stainless now. It may not have autocomplete or URL bar history yet, but it's damn fast. Worth the trade, IMO, especially since it's getting those features anyways.

20. Bjohnson33 macrumors 6502

Have you tried Camino? It's got the Firefox engine, but has a native Mac GUI. I wasn't thrilled with Safari 4.0 either, mainly because I'm on an older laptop and it just slowed my computer down. Get the Camino 2.0 beta (very stable) - I think you'll enjoy it.

21. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i was going to me.com in a lecture, but it put in menwholooklikeoldlesbians.com instead - safari, being so fast popped up the pics before i had a chance to hide them....AWKWARD

safari be bitchin'

22. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Eh, not really talking about page loading. I'm talking about my computer running the app.

23. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Opera

I use Opera as my main browser, though it is not to everybody's taste . For most surfing needs I think it's excellent. The few things I cannot use it for I then open Safari to view. I also have Firefox installed.

You can also change the way Opera looks. Actually Opera offers quite a lot. If I didn't use Opera, I would probably use Firefox. But I also think Safari is a damn good browser.

24. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Okay, I appreciate everyone's input, but we are WAY off topic here, and none of what this thread's topic was asking has been discussed. This isn't a thread about which browser is best, this is a thread about how to make adjustments to the way safari 4 works.

Specifically:

- How can I change the way safari's page-loading message is displayed?

- How do I change it so that simply typing any letter on my keyboard doesn't open up the "find" text search field?

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Probably via Terminal like many other things in OS X.

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/12-tips-for-safari-4-beta.html

Hopefully this debug stuff still works in final.