I hate safari!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doug0365, Nov 10, 2008.

1. doug0365 macrumors member

I've been a windows mobile fanboy until the day I got myself the iPhone 3G although I didn't get the first one I have amazed at how awesome this phone is even with it's problems of not able to do some basic features that you have in other basic phones, but one thing that really bothers me is how crappy safari is on the iPhone! I'm not talking about how it renders pages but how unstable the safari browser is. It's the most unstable browser I have ever used . I mean there are times when the page loads fully and then out of no where safari just closes on me. And it's not just in complex websites either. It is awesome when it works but most of the time I find myself re-opening safari most of the time with how much it crashes and yes I have done a software restore. It only helps a bit but then you go back to the same old crashie safari!! Apple really needs to improve safari on the iPhone, because other then that I love this phone!

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sorry about your problems, but so far, I haven't had any problems with Safari on my iPhone. It is amazing.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ya, sometimes it sucks but they way I learned was just to effing deal with it. Lol.
    I have to deal with it on my iPod.
    Also, it would help if you didn't have more than a few pages open.
    Sometimes iPhones and iPod touches are just like that.
    Try restarting it every few days or when it seems to be lagging.

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

clear your cookies and cache files in your settings, restart your phone, that should make it a good deal most stable..

I find that it is most unstable when a website is poorly written.

5. doug0365 thread starter macrumors member

I'm sorry but I just find that very hard to believe that safari has NEVER giving you problems.

6. doug0365 thread starter macrumors member

I do restart my phone and clear out the cache and cookies but is it something I should be doing everyday??

7. applelvr22 macrumors newbie

Your software could somehow be corrupted on your phone. I was having the same problems. Took it to the Genius Bar, they told me to sync my phone, then restore it as a new phone, NOT from back up. Since then I have not had any problems.

8. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

I would bet money, marbles, or day-old doughnuts the Safari death problem will be vastly improved, come the 2.2 release. I suspect that's what's taking so long.

At least I hope so.

9. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I've never had any problems with Safari on either iPhone. Do you ever empty your cache? Restart the phone every few days?

10. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I use Safari on the Iphone several hours a day and I only have about 1 crash a week (or less). I visit Macrumors, Fox News and another forum site and it is generally on WiFi.

When yours is crashing are you on WiFi, 3G or Edge?

11. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Once a month maybe... Just when you notice applications starting to act up.

a restore was suggested, that might be a good idea too... but honestly I think it is the website you try to visit more than anything. Be conservative when using it on websites that are large. Don't touch the screen or rotate it or anything until the site it completely loaded.

12. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

After 2.1 MobileSafari has 1 in 50 crash rate or better on my iPhone. You should have tried pre-1.1.2; THAT was something to complain about!

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No problems for me since 2.1......

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I have found that using the iPod applications makes my iPhone noticeably more unstable. You can force quit it by switching to iPod and then holding in the button until it quits and returns to the menu.

See if Safari is better after that.

Granted you shouldn't have to do that, but it seems to clear up a number of issues for me...

15. rising j macrumors member

I have been pretty disgusted with Safari as well. I get a crash every few days. I just deleted cookies and cache...hopefully that solves the problem.

16. macduke Suspended

macduke

This is not an issue that you can fix. This is an issue that only Apple can fix. Poor memory management and handling in the code is to blame. 2.2 will have a new Safari interface with the search bar next to the address bar, the search icon will be gone, and the refresh button will be moved into the address bar. Maybe some of the crashing bugs will also be worked out. I've noticed mobile Safari has slowly gotten better since 1.0, but it's still not good enough. I use a lot of apps, many 3d games, and that kills Safari. For whatever reason the iPhone has problems clearing out it's memory after an app quits.

For now, you'd be surprised what a daily reboot can do to make your iPhone snappier, but nothing you can do will permanently fix this problem. The code has to be rewritten or optimized. Consider this Mobile Safari Beta.

The iPhone only has 128mb of RAM. The real progress will be made in the next version of the iPhone, which should be more of an overhaul of the core components. We're talking lots more RAM here, which will work wonders in rendering modern web sites. Who here has only 128mb of RAM and surfs the internet? It's not fun...nearly impossible with most modern websites and operating systems. That's why I built my grandma a new computer, and that was two years ago!

For now I would love if Apple would code in a cache option, where we could set apart a section of our flash memory, say 512mb, to use as virtual memory. The random access time on the flash memory should be enough for most operations, and could be used in the background to take the load off the RAM. It might not work for 3d games, but it would certainly make Safari snappier, especially when it runs out of memory blocks and starts to overflow and crash.

17. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

I agree. Safari needs some definite work on the iPhone. I get at least three to five crashes per day!

I will try clearing the cache, but this shouldn't be necessary.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think this is useful advice.

That's pretty sad, actually, but there it is.

My safari used to crash about 15-20 times a day. By following this advice it "only" crashes about 4 times per day.

So...better. But still pretty lame.

19. Ademius macrumors regular

This is the only real solution for the crash problems with Safari, it has been crashing since 1.0, so clearly Apple have failed to fix it. But I think they're just too anal to actually add something like this, as they would have to admit that the iPhone has had this problem all along. Better memory mangagement could help, but I don't think it will be enough.

That is until we get the next revision with (hopefully) more RAM, aswell as better hardware in general.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Believe what you want.:rolleyes:

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep. I have an embedded systems programming slogan, "There's nothing slower than being stopped." In other words, many times I'd rather use a slightly slower application than one that crashes.

The flash used in the iPhone doesn't allow for random access. You have to write in 256 KB chunks, and read back serially. Not the fastest thing on the planet, although not the slowest.

Since the iPhone's browser seems to only use available RAM for cache, it needs more RAM, as you originally suggested.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I can't believe that the OP, can't believe that there are some of us out here that have no issues with the Safari browser. I can't even remember what it was like to use EXPLODER! Talk about slow, buggy and downright not-being-compatible with anything Mac...:mad:

23. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Safari crashes a lot for me when i'm on wifi

24. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I guess the reason it seems to crash more than other browsers on other devices, is that it gets so much more use, relatively speaking, than on other devices.
    Browsing on other devices(Opera Mini, for example), is good, but still not as smooth, slick and enjoyable as mobile Safari(even with the crashes).

25. iblastoff macrumors 6502

i dont think it has anything to do with more usage. i barely even use safari anymore cause it crashes SO often.