iPhone X I hate Screen Protector.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by toughouse, Feb 7, 2018.

1. toughouse, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018

toughouse macrumors newbie

toughouse

I've had 5th iPhones since the iPhone 4 and I never put screen protector on any of my previous handsets, but I have to put one on my new iPhone X, because the phone is damn expensive and I didn't have AC+ and I can't afford to replace the screen if it is shattered.. The tempered glass protector is so thick and makes the display looks less clearer than not wearing a protector.
    I tried using my phone without protector for couple days and it's extremely comfortable when touching and swiping on the screen, and the display looks awesome, but I was so afraid of dropping the phone and getting scratches on the screen.
    Damn, why there is not a screen that is not that fragile.

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

It’s not anymore fragile than any other glass screen on a phone. The oled is what makes it expensive.. Using a screen protector isn’t a guarantee against damage either. If you can’t afford to replace the screen or the phone if you damage it maybe you should of paid the extra money for insurance..

3. toughouse thread starter macrumors newbie

toughouse

Actually I am in China, and My phone is US version, so I can't buy the AC+ because if I bought that, I have to go to America to replace or fix the phone..

4. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

Ahhh. That is unfortunate. There isn’t any non Apple insurance options like Squartrade?

5. toughouse thread starter macrumors newbie

toughouse

There is a screen insurance for the iPhone X that we can buy from third party company, which is way cheaper than AC+ but their screen is not made by Apple, and I don't think the screen is as good as the original one. It's very unfortunate.

6. Sorig macrumors regular

I rather put a case on my phone than a screen protector. And I hate both of those things so I don’t use those.

7. toughouse thread starter macrumors newbie

toughouse

I hate them too, but rather than spending lots of money on fixing a broken phone, I have to choose to put them on..

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You have no idea how much a screen protector actually protects the screen. A screen protector is not to prevent damages due to falls that will crack screens. Screen protectors are there to prevent minor scuffs, abrassions or dents in the glass from day to day use.

My very first iPhone was without a screen protector, and jolly did it have lots of microscratches and the likes after a few months.

9. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Try a glass protector, once you go glass you don't go back IMO

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Easier cracked I say.

11. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

What?

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sorry write-o.

Glass covers tend to be more prone to cracks.

13. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

True, but I rather have the "feel" of an actual screen, better to crack the protector than the phones screen :)

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You need to try PowerSupport's Crystal cover then. Exceptional.

15. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Is Anker in China? I used their tempered glass screen protectors and have had really good luck with them. They're almost as smooth and nice as the glass that comes with the iPhone - though the coatings don't last as long (but you get two for $9). https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Protec...sr=8-3&keywords=anker+tempered+glass+iphone+x

If not in China then that sucks :( - I really like these and have used them on my 6+, 6s+, and now my 8+.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    Will look into them - thanks!

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Really worth it IMHO. I've had mine since I bought my 7 and it has done its job quite exceptionally. Mind you, at this point, the protector does have scuffs and scratches from keys and wear and tear of almost 1.5 years, but regardless, it looks great for a protector.

17. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

I've also found that the glass protectors were a much better experience than regular screen protectors. My issue with them had nothing to do with the glass, but with the case having too much of a raised bump on the edges to hold the glass so it got in the way of me typing on the phone... but this was back with the 4s where the size of the device was smaller and my hands are big. I wouldn't have the same issue if I had a iPhoneX.

Sure the glass might crack, but it'll be the one taking on scratches and it might soften any impact damage enough to spare the screen. It'd be the same reason why many photographers put a UV filter on their lenses. It might deflect an impact enough to spare the lens.

That said, I drop my iPhone 8 a lot more often than I'd like to admit and I just have a regular rubber bumper case on it. I've never broken the screen. My 4s was the only iPhone that I used a glass screen protector on.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Same. I just don't like the texture of a screen protector on my phone. When I carry my phone caseless, I don't have anything else in the pocket with it and I still don't have any scratches that are visible to my eye. No need for a screen protector in my situation.

19. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

Most of my pants have a dedicated cell phone pocket that's just a bit above the knee (best invention ever). You must look for this the next time you buy pants if you haven't experienced it yet.

When I do have to slide my phone in a normal pants pocket, I do like you do and only put the phone in there. I don't do it because I'm afraid of scratching the phone. I've had the phone with my keys plenty of times and don't have any scratches to show for it (but I don't have a lot of keys). It's just too uncomfortable to have keys and a phone in the same pocket so I rarely do it.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

I put front and back protectors on my X the other day and promptly removed them this morning.. Hate the things! I've never used them before but felt the need to try on the X. Nope! Off they went! LOL

I ordered a matte white dbrand skin for the back today but the front screen will remain screen protector'less..

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The one I recommended earlier in this thread works great. No "plastic" texture sort to speak.

22. zipster macrumors 6502

I have a glass screen protector on my X. It's generally fine, but there's almost zero oleophobic coating on mine, so it's not as "slippery" as the X's native screen and it's more prone to fingermarks.

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I mostly use a wallet case so that I can have one item in my pocket to contain my license, 1 debit card, and my iPhone in one package. Having a case that covers both the front and back makes those glass screen protectors obsolete. I do not have Apple Care. Also I avoid dropping my iPhone on the ground by having a death grip on it. Gravity is unable to pry it from my grip to land on the ground.

24. toughouse thread starter macrumors newbie

toughouse

I just bought a expensive glass protector yesterday and I put it on my phone for like just a hour, and I threw the protector away, because it's so thick and the texture is awful compared to the screen without protector.
    I tried several glass protector recently, and I decided to go with no protector now, the screen looks and feels really great.. So god bless me....
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2018 ---
    I used my iPhone 7 carefully for over a year without protector, and there are so many tiny scratches and 2 or 3 big one on the screen...

25. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

On my iPhone 6 I had one of the $40 glass Zagg protectors. It did indeed protect it from a fall that cracked the protector but not the display. For the X I decided to try an iCarez glass protector that cost about $12 for two. It’s indistinguishable from the Zagg I had. The glass is clear and free from color casts. It isn’t terribly thick and feels close enough to the actual display. I hardly know it’s there. Only downside is that there is some slight prisming at the edges, but only noticeable in certain lighting conditions. Even then it doesn’t bother me. If it gets scratched or cracked, I will just put on the other one.