i hate the ipod's battery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Heather1, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

only 2 hours on nes game.
    less than an hour on iphysics

How long does it last on you guys ?!

Any solutions would help!!

Cheerio.

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

external battery??

3. christopher3071 macrumors regular

My advice is wait till 2.0 software where apple will regulate CPU drain so the battery life will be longer. Not the best answer unfortunately, but it is a sure answer.

4. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Where is that info coming from???

..yeah, I hate the battery - or its fluctuating readings - too.

5. MacGuy35 macrumors member

after reading this i might have to hold off on putting any games on it.:(

6. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

Anywhere from 5 to 22 hours... when I use it as intended.:rolleyes:
    PROTIP: More processor usage = faster battery drain.

The funny thing is, threads like this (they are numerous) are exactly why Apple passively discourages the JB scene. You're complaining that the device doesn't do things well that it was never intended to do in the first place.

7. Heather1 thread starter macrumors regular

Heather1

Yeah, that'd help. Found this on ebay. Feed back ?

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

The iPod wouldn't fit right because it's smaller.

And if you want a legitimate complaint about the battery, complain about it in terms of legitimate uses...

9. Heather1 thread starter macrumors regular

Heather1

If you 100% guarantee this i'll sell my touch immediately and wait for the coming generation. Soooo.... ?

10. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

2.0 Is a software upgrade that iPod touch users will have to pay a fee for (probably $20) so you don't need to sell your iPod touch. It's software, not hardware.

11. Heather1 thread starter macrumors regular

Heather1

So your suggestion for me is to bang my head against the wall for hacking it or change this thread's title to "I hate my ipod touch battery which has been hacked and used mysteriously so i didn't get enough time playing with it but i have no complaint about the original battery" ?!

Well, either ways, back off, woman.

12. Heather1 thread starter macrumors regular

Heather1

Correct. But the $20 upgrade won't change the battery life, will it ?!

How long does it last for you on the Iphysics ?

13. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Reduce screen brightness, that should significantly extend your battery life. Also, are the battery times you're quoting from what the iPod is reporting to you, or from your actual experience of using it until the battery runs out and the device actually can't run any more?

14. Heather1 thread starter macrumors regular

Heather1

Umm, my own experience. What's about you ?! How long does it last on you ?

15. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Dont play games so much. Or reduce the screen brightness.

16. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

No. I suggest you play something that doesn't use as much battery life. Like frisbee golf, or hide and go seek.

17. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

18. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Sorry to hear this has such a negative effect on battery life. Have you considered lowering the screen brightness? Aside from that, no other ideas, sorry. Hope you find something that improves this. Personally, I would wait and see what leaks out about 2.0 over the next few months before selling your current model. Once you JB, you can still reinstall the original software, yes? Seems it would be cheaper to just pay the upgrade fee for 2.0 than purchase a new unit altogether? Correct me if I'm wrong or missing the point in doing this. :) Sorry, didn't see that motulist already mentioned same suggestion.

19. bassicmelodies macrumors newbie

bassicmelodies

This is more about battery health then charge. Would it be better to exercise the battery on a consistent basis, i.e. running it until its dead or close then charging it so that the entire battery is used, or keeping it fully charged as often as possible? I guess it would depend on the type of battery they use. Is it lithium like their notebooks and laptops? From what I understand, if it is then it would be best to run it until its dead and condition it every once it a while.

Thanks.

20. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

To answer your question, basically it's better to keep it plugged in as often as possible. Same goes for Apple's laptops

On another note, the forum etiquette is that if you have a question that's not directly related to an existing thread then you are supposed to start a new thread. What you're doing is called thread hijacking. It's not a big deal, I'm just letting you know for the future because you're a newbie around here. Welcome aboard.

21. enojado macrumors newbie

Results of my Touch's Battery Test

I joined this forum partly to post some battery test results from my Touch. I recently got my Touch and was a bit concerned with what I perceived to be a less then stellar battery life Granted, I had it jailbroken, tons of apps and most of my music is at a min. 192kbs mp3 (and most of that vbr). So I knew i was draining the battery faster than normal, but I wanted a real estimate of how long my battery would last to make sure it wasn't defective.

So I went to Apple's site and followed their instructions on testing an Ipod's battery life. I ripped a CD to 160kbs mp3, put it on repeat, started playing it, turned off the screen, wifi turned off, etc, etc. I left the volume and screen brightness to my user set defaults.

Apple lists the battery lasting up to 22 hours. I started this test on my fully charged Touch yesterday at 2:30pm. It is still playing as I type this. It's a bit past 1pm EST and that would so far make 22 1/2 hours of playback. The battery icon shows a tiny red sliver of battery left so I know it's about to go. Regardless, I'm pretty happy because I now know my Touch's battery is within Apple's specs and not defective (knock on wood).

*EDIT*
    It's still playing and it's around 4:15 pm EST in the U.S. It has finally given me the 10% battery remaining warning. So, that would make it playing for almost 26 hours straight.

So, if your'e unhappy with your battery life while doing other things with your jb'd Touch go ahead and run the battery test to make sure your batter isn't defective. That should hopefully make you feel better about the battery's performance when you are using it for other purposes. :)

22. franzmueller macrumors regular

Well said

The itp´s are ok . wifi & video´s playback really drain the battery

Saludos

23. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

Im confused, you are an idiot, right? he battery is influenced by how you waste it!

24. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

The software update could easily change the battery life by implementing better power management.

25. tuneman07 macrumors regular

I have been having similar performance with my IPT. The thing is toast after 4 or 5 hours of music (with me switching songs/changing volume etc...) and way less with wifi going. Why even say 22 hours thats so ridiculous. Who turns their music on and doesn't touch the thing for 22 hours? Apple really pisses me off with these fake battery times using totally ridiculous usage scenarios. Why not be at least a little realistic about things instead of trying to fool people. (WOW! this thing goes for 22 hours!)