I have 3G!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superstrikertwo, Jul 23, 2008.

1. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Now I've had my iPhone 3G since launch day but immediately turned off 3G because my area doesn't have it. My last phone was 3G enabled but since my area didn't have 3G it was always edge. Today my mother tells me she has 3G on her phone and asked if I did I turned it on and low and behold still edge I tell her no. I got a bit curious so I turned off the phone and turned it back on and 2 bars of 3G yay! I asked AT&T July 10th when my area would (if ever) get 3G they said between now and the end of the year and that they had been working on it for at least a year to get it. I never expected to have 3G this quickly and I know for a fact we didn't have 3G on launch day. I know none of you probably care but made me happy :D

2. toss002 macrumors regular

:) Very cool. Happy to hear that. :apple::):apple:

3. rust.puppet macrumors regular

lucky. the other day i was in mentor ohio (40 miles from my house) and they had 3g, but according to at&ts website there is no 3g for atleast 30 miles from my house. i guess ill be sticking to edge and wifi once i get the phone.

although im going by the reception i get with my 3g razr... it may be different for iphone.

4. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Looking at the AT&T 3G coverage thing I should not have 3G the closest place is Sacramento California and that's over 2 hours drive it lies.

5. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Radddd

welcome to the 3G! Try not to obsessively play with it every 3 minutes :p

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Where in NorCal are you? I'm in Sacramento, and seeing that there's 3G along I-80 to the Bay and Reno (save in the mountains), I would guess that you're either north towards Chico/Redding, or east towards Lake Tahoe. Stockton and Modesto have 3G.

BL.

7. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Lol that's exactly where I am.

8. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

I noticed on launch day, AT&T updated their map to show my area in 3G coverage. I can hardly get a signal in my house at all, and when I do, it's an EDGE connection. Once I get away from all the trees though, it switches over to 3G.

9. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

It seems AT&T is actually trying to get 3G up in more areas asap.

10. Polymira macrumors regular

Holy crap!

A friend of mine with a 3g blackjack sent me a text message today saying she had 3g in Chico today. My 3g iPhone will be arriving at the AT&T store in Chico tomorrow by 3pm, so this is quite the nice and unexpected event.

11. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

12. Polymira macrumors regular

Indeed!

My phone has been on backorder since the 12th, but it finally shipped today (I was the very last person from the 12th to ship)....

But I'll be super extra happy if 3g really got pushed out the day before my phone arrives. I have my invisible shield 3g sitting here waiting while I re-order my iPhone playlist to accommodate the extra space going from 8GB to 16GB...

How's the speed?

13. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I only messed with 3G for about a minute but was almost as good as wifi.

14. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I seem to live right between 3G and EDGE towers, so my current phone (a Samsung) gets 2-3 bars of 3G half the time; The other half of the time it's 3-6 bars of EDGE. It's really only at my house that it does that, though. If I happen to be in a different part of town then I usually get really good 3G signal. It doesn't get very good battery life, because I imagine it's a bit taxing on the battery to be constantly switching between 3G and EDGE.

Flaky 3G at home isn't really gonna be an issue for me at home when I get my iPhone 3G (if Apple decides it's time to let AT&T stores have more than just a few) because I'll just turn off 3G at home and use Wi-Fi. Then when I'm out and about I'll switch 3G on and Wi-Fi off and enjoy fast mobile data. :D

15. odyssey924 macrumors regular

I live in Magalia, CA and work in Chico, CA and I can confirm that 3G is up in most all of Chico, the Skyway leading up to Paradise, the town of Paradise, and most of Magalia, which is above Paradise. This is a great surprise to me as the AT&T rep I talked to at the store said he didn't expect it till September. I have done speed tests and most average around 50KB/sec. The fastest I have seen is 115KB/sec on one test I did yesterday.

16. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

17. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Those aren't speed tested over 3G, are they? If so, that's terrible. I'm in the Riverside/Moreno Valley area and I usually get 400-600 kbps if I have more than a couple bars of 3G.

18. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

kb/s and kbps are different according to testmyiphone.com I just checked and I receive 468kbps and 57kb/s on 3G.

19. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Use the Coverage Viewer from AT&T:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Enter your zip code, and then check the "Show 3G Coverage" check box.

The blue areas show 3G.

20. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Ahh, I guess I just got my kilobits and kilobytes mixed up. :eek: In that case, I'd like to rescind my previous post and instead say "Nice" to those speeds. :D

21. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

It's not really accurate my area still shows up as no 3G :(

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

During my iPhone v1 ownership my house went from No Service to 5 bars! I don't think people appreciate the catalyst that iPhone generated revenue has been for AT&T's coverage.

23. superstrikertwo thread starter macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I didn't until now :D

24. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The coverage viewer is really inaccurate. From what I've seen, ATT has really been improving their 3G network since the last time that they updated their coverage map on June 30.

25. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

apparently my area now has 3G. When I went to AT&T store to purchase the iPhone 3G yesterday, I asked them if we had 3G service because on the website it does not show it as us having it. The girl told me we have it. That is why I was asking how you can check online because that website does not seem to be that accurate.