I have a $1000 dollar phone that cant switch apps without reloading & losing my work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Izauze, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Izauze macrumors 6502

As much as I love the phone and OS as a whole, this glaring failure is bigger than any "bend-gate" "antenna-gate" or any other pseudo "gate" controversy. This isn't an accident or an oversight - it's an absolute failure that they should own at every level because they released this intentionally. Whether out of greed or incompetence doesn't much matter.

It's now incredibly clear that the people who complained before launch about 1 GB were right, and everyone who gave them grief for it should be walking around with their tail tucked between their legs apologizing.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sell it and buy a phone that better fits your needs. Why get all upset over a product that clearly is not meant for you.

I'm happy with my iphone 6 plus, its a great phone, but if you're not happy with it, find a phone that is. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff, and yes apps reloading on a phone is small stuff.

3. Izauze thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want an Android phone. I want an Apple phone made to what should be Apple standards. When a phone bends or can't make calls or fails to perform basic functions successfully, it is legitimate to hold the company's feet to the fire on it.

And a computer that loses your work each time you use a basic function is not "small stuff" - it is a fundamental design flaw.

4. nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I, too, have had no problems with my 6+ and would not leave it for any other device. If yours is not working for you, time to change.:rolleyes:

6. MRU, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Really ?

Here is my Note 4 5.0.1 lollipop running against iPhone 6+ 8.2

Both have same apps open - most of them actually google ones.

Which do you think has issues and has to refresh its app content.

Seems to me 1gb in the iPhone 6+ is doing a far better job than the 3gb in my Note 4 on Lollipop.

Seems to me someone should eat a portion of humble pie themselves.

7. SeilerBird macrumors regular

SeilerBird

I have owned my iPhone 6 now for 6 months and I have never had one second of bad performance from the phone. But then again I use my phone as a phone and not as a mainframe.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

To be fair, its an annoying "issue" of being an iPhone owner. I think leaving the ecosystem over it, will not resolve the fact that other ecosystems also have annoying "issues" . The perfect phone just does not exist for some people.

I have to say that, cause geez was I patient with my 2012 rMBP and its wifi issues :)

I was referring to safari reloading. im not sure what the OP is on about in relation to apps

9. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Its really not a big deal... No products can be perfect...

10. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I thought he was referring to safari reloading.

Agree, I never had an issue with apps.

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I don't have too many app reloads on my 6 either. If you use the task manager rather than launching the app again off the screen I find this minimises app reloading. I refresh most of the apps I use often anyway which is probably why this doesn't bother me at all.

12. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Doesn't this issue have more to do with the application and not the phone? I've noticed some apps have no problem reloading and some do.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Ah, the white elephant in the room and still people pretend it isn't there. This is nothing to do with the iPhone not being suitable for us, and that we should move to Android. Apple clearly messed up for a not insignificant number of users when they decided to stick with 1GB of RAM for the i6 and 6+. The phones reload and refresh *far* more readily than the iPhone 5, which is two generations older. Defend that.

14. cymolia macrumors 6502a

what has this world come to that we have to be here on a messageboard beefing over 1 gb of ram, smh

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You could apply that same logic to almost every thread on MacRumors, Facebook, Twitter etc.

16. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

I thought I'd notice the 1GB of ram in my 6+ but I really haven't. I had a Note 3 (3gb of ram) before my iPhone 6+ and my 6+ is faster, smoother, takes better photos, and I enjoy it a lot more. I use Chrome as my browser and I've only noticed app reloading a few times a day when I'm heavily using it - but usually the only app reloading is Hangouts (and it does within a second or two so it doesn't bother me). Haven't ever lost any work yet. So, seems to be doing ok for me - and I'm a heavy Ingress player, I do play Clash of Clans with the family, have 4-5 tabs on Chrome, Google+, gmail, and iBooks (or Kindle) opened.

My defective 6+ that I got first would force close apps randomly, it had a few blue screens before it permanently red screened on me. Haven't had any of these problems even once on my replacement 6+.

17. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

I've had every iPhone except the first one. I'm on a 6 Plus right now. I notice NO difference with 1 gig of RAM. Please oh please stop with this lame argument. It's NOT just RAM that matters in an OS.

18. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Just as an aside, but something I read and thought interesting.

In order to save battery life, DON'T close out apps in the app switcher on an iPhone. iOS is built to manage app activity behind the scenes and with the apps "active" but frozen, the battery isn't being negatively affected.

Conversely, if one were to close out all apps the OS loses its place in that app and has to reload the entire app again draining MORE battery life.

I think this goes with the thread topic because it represents a misunderstanding of how iOS manages "multitasking" behind the scenes. It will intelligently cache new information pushed to each app and reload them all at the same time when the conditions are optimal (behind the scenes).

As for the notion that apps just reload while you're in the middle of working, I've never experienced it personally. I've tested it as a result of conversations I've had with sunking101, one of the most vocal critics of the 1 GB of RAM. Multiple apps, multiple safari tabs, switching back and forth from tab to app to app to tab to tab. Nothing reloads.

If it were really a RAM issue, we'd ALL see these reloads on a regular basis. My guess - it has something to do with the way the app is built and how it works with the intelligent multitasking of iOS.

19. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Where did I or anyone else state that RAM is all that matters in an OS? I'm very happy that you manage to get by with insufficient RAM. Many here seem to but that doesn't mean others aren't affected by it. Oh and having insufficient RAM to complete certain tasks isn't a lame argument. Sadly it's an absolute fact with the 6+ if you use it in a certain manner.

----------

How do you explain that the new iPad Air 2 running the exact same version of iOS reloads browser tabs and apps WAY less, and the only real difference being that it has double the amount of RAM? Or that the two generations older iPhone 5 with the same 1GB of RAM as the 6+ exhibits the reloading PITA way less? The significant difference being that it has a 32Bit OS which uses less RAM?

20. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Can we sticky this, please? I don't disagree that the iPhone should have two gigs of RAM but this is a clear showing of OS optimization that should bounce the sensible spec-quoters for good.

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The iPhone was in Airplane mode. Lol.
    My Android tablet with only 1.5GB of RAM has six browser tabs open and I can switch it off (yes, fully powered down), reboot it and open Chrome to see *zero* tabs reload. I find it incomprehensible that an Android device with 3GB of RAM would perform worse in this regard. There must have been some other processes or apps being run in the background. I do not trust this video at all.

22. johnc22 macrumors 6502

My biggest gripe is the reloading of tabs in Safari. App loading is fast enough and some apps are large enough that they get unloaded to make room for other things.

23. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Why does that matter? If the apps were trying to reload you'd end up with blank screens or "not connected to network" popups. What you're seeing isn't magic. That I can guarantee.

24. JackieInCo macrumors 601

But you also have to realize that once he went back to KitKat, his problem was solved. This problem he was having with apps reloading was on Lollipop which has a memory leak. That has been fixed in an upcoming release.

My apps do not reload on my note 4 using KitKat.

25. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Most apps for the iPad are quite different than their iOS counterparts. Software can still play a role as even the OS versions have differences.

I don't notice any difference in reloads from my 6 to 6+ to Air 2. If RAM were really the culprit, everyone would see it as the hardware is constant.

Software is not. People use different apps, often for the same tasks. Different combinations of apps open combined with the difference in versions from one device to the next can cause issues.

The idea that the iPhone 5 (with same RAM) exhibits less issues only further proves my point. That RAM isn't the issue - software is. Many times developers can "upgrade" their apps but introduce problems at the same time.

----------

Once again, a SOFTWARE issue. NOT a RAM issue.