I have a 3G iphone but no contract (o2- Uk)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by midnightaction, Jul 14, 2008.

1. midnightaction macrumors newbie

Hello

Long time lurker coming out of the woodwork to make my first post because I am a little bit confused and I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same sort of thing. I will give a run down of events so far

-I ordered my 3G iphone from CPW on Thursday and it was delivered to the store on Friday

- I went to collect my phone but there was an IT issue with my account and for some reason they could not close down the sale (whatever that means !) and they had to hold onto my phone, as in I wasn't allowed to physically remove it from the store although it was mine and the payment had been taken (This is a whole other issue, which I will rant about at a later stage !:rolleyes:)

- For 24 hours they tried to resolve the issue with my account and the store manager kept saying that my account was just not showing on the system properly and they could not release the phone to me.Was told at this point I did not exist in the system and that we would have to start all over again from scratch and re-credit score etc.

- 1 hour later I get a call to say, silly us, it's all ok really you can now come and get your phone and the sale had now been closed down

- I asked if I needed to bring my chip and pin card to verify the account, was told this was not needed

- Picked up phone, there was no contract with it, no details of my new account/telephone number , and no detais of the tariff I had chosen. No one in store asked me to sign or do anything which I just assumed was normal so I went on my jolly way

-All weekend I have been playing with my new toy and checking out the features, but all the while not connected to any network so unable to make calls send texts etc

-Read on here that O2/CPW had a backlog so assumed that the reason I had not yet been conected was because of that and went on my merry way.

-Today still not conected so I thought I would give CPW a little call to ask when they anticipated the phone would be connected. Spoke to a lovely lady and gave her my name, my address, my transaction number, invoice number and any other information I could find on the one piece of paper that came with the phone, but guess what they could not find any record of me anywhere

- Nice lady told me I have no details on any systems, I do not hold a current contract with either CPW or o2 and was I sure that hey had sent me an iphone (Um yeah I am pretty sure I have it hear in front of me !) because as far as they could see I never ordered one off of them. Was told would not be getting connected to O2 as I am not their customer

Anyway the tl:dr version of that is that I now appear to have an iphone without a contract attached to it (If this actually was true I would be sooo happy, could slip a lovely payg sim in there :p) but I know this will not be the case and I know there will be an error somewhere along the line(Coz although CPW are dumb, they aren't so dumb as to give an iphone away for free), but really what do I do for now. I have a phone which is basically a glorified ipod Touch right now with no option of it getting connected as o2/CPW are convinced I don't have a contract with them. Should I try and Jailbreak the phone and slip a different sim in or should I wait for this to get resolved, how long do I wait before it is a lost cause ??? :confused:

I would be greatful for anyone who has any suggestions :D

Thanks you guys

xx

2. midnightaction thread starter macrumors newbie

Aww no-one replied !!:(:(

Anyway will do a little update regardless, I still have no service, called CPW again and I still don't exist in any systems and I am not gonna get connected anytime soon

I am getting a little bit frustrated now because all I want to do is actually use this phone and it doesn't appear like I am going to be able to, and I have no idea what I can actually do to be able to get it to work :confused:

xx

3. sdm1985 macrumors 6502

I will give you £400 for it.

4. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Wow! Yeah I can understand it's a bit tricky knowing what to do next. If CPW/O2 really really really have no record of you and actually have messed up and given you a free iPhone then ... eBay? You could probably get more than £400 for it too. However, what if CPW then ring you next week asking where the iPhone is? Having said that, from what you've posted it looks like you've totally dropped off the system! Assuming you actually wanted a contract iPhone, you could sell yours and then the money would pay for quite a lot of a standard O2 18 month iPhone contract...

5. Prometheus2000 macrumors member

You are a lucky guy, if they don't come back to you!

I would wait till the jailbreak tools are out and then look for a nice contract with dataplan. Maybe till then you can try to use the phone with a O2 pay as you go. Maybe they work...just look out for the data usage...

6. midnightaction thread starter macrumors newbie

sdm1985 Thanks for the offer but I think it is too early for me to be consider selling it just yet

tallyho The points you raised are exactly my concern. I have a felling that CPW will find me eventually and set my contract up, so selling it is not really an option just yet, but my question is how long do I wait. I think it is pretty safe to say that if I have nothing by a months time then I am not going to get one, but really having to wait a month to fully use this phone is gonna drive me insane.

I have a contract with Orange and what would be great is if I could put that sim in the iphone for now, just so that I can use it until CPW pull there hand out their a** and sort this issue out !

I don't know alot about contracts but when you sign up online are you agreeing to a legally binding contract, even though there is no actual signature anywhere ??

Prometheus2000 Yeah if they have forgotten me then I am a very lucky girl indeed, but my luck is never that good !! :)

I wil give the o2 payg sim a go, not sure if it works on a non jailbroken one but no harm in trying for now

xx

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Surely you could just sell it for the £400, then go and buy another one in a few weeks. £301 profit for doing nothing.

8. midnightaction thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be perfect if I could be 100% sure that there is no contract on it anywhere, but I don't have much faith in CPW that they haven't just lost me short term and like in 2 weeks time some tea boy or cleaner will find my application lying around on the floor somewhere and set my contract up :eek:

9. KMApple macrumors newbie

Enjoy it.

Put an o2 PAYG sim card in there. If you haven't a copy of the contract, and if you haven't signed anything then i think you'll be okay.

Things like this can slip through the net, it does happen. When I got my 1st Gen on the launch night, there was all manner of problems, the guy took my card, it wouldn't work so he give me it back and closed the order.

No payment taken and free iPhone!

Like I say this does happen so enjoy your bit of good fortune. Remember though the rules of Karma so make sure you do a random act of kindness and all will be good.:apple:

10. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I may be in a similar situation, but would like advice of fellow forum members..

Basically, I was on an O2 simplicity monthly "contract".. which you can cancel at any time.. no tie in..

Anyway, I upgraded to an official iPhone tariff; £35pm.

It was all done manually on paperwork on launch day as the systems were down.

Now I did sign a contract for 18months, BUT, I'm still not on the official iPhone £35pm tariff!!

I keep checking my O2 online account, and even now it says I'm still on the simplicity deal with bolt-ons etc.,. etc..

I can use my 3G iPhone no problem.. only thing is no access to Visual Voicemail or the free wifi hotspots (which is something I do want).

My O2 account now says my contract period expires 11th August 2008 (1 month after launch), which is what the simplicity deal requires (a 1 month minumum period and then you can leave whenever).

So my dilemma is, if O2 have simply upgraded my handset only but not contract (as I'm still being charged the simplicity price and using simplicity minutes/texts), do I call them up and tell them

OR

Do I continue on simplicity, which means I'm not tied into a contract at all (minimum 1 month) and then I am free to do what I please, when I please?

I don't mind being in contract, as I'll probably only go iPhone in the future anyway, and having visual voicemail/free wifi is the bonus.

I'm currently paying £25 + £7.50 (unlimited data plan) = £32.50 per month anyway, and the iPhone contract is £35 per month...

I could sell the handset for a profit and then go buy another iPhone on contract :D

Decisions, decisions.......

11. funkyshaker macrumors regular

Same as what I went through. They will change the tariff soon as they did mine. Just takes a while to catch up.

12. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

really? awww...
    but how long did it take for yours to be switched over?
    and were you able to access visual voicemail etc.. straight away? or did you have to do anything alter settings etc..?

13. pjashley1 macrumors member

CPW are processing the contracts manually - my upgrade came live yesterday. However if you do get missed out (fingers crossed) any old O2 SIM will work fine! I recommend SIMplicity, £23/month with all data included.

14. KMApple macrumors newbie

The date your contract changes to the iPhone from the Simplicity depends on which Bill Cycle you are on. They have to put you on a certain cycle so that you get your new allocation and payments on the same day each month. My guess would be around the 18th it'd switch to the iPhone version.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

15. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Sel Sell Sell

I'd sell it but they may have your name linked to the IMEI number of the phone.

16. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

Did they give you a sim card? If not, I can't see how they are going to activate a contract for you, unless they are in the habit of sending sim cards out.

For the time being I would try a PAYG sim card and wait and see what happens...

Andy

17. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

Yeah, if you read my post then you'd already see I was on simplicity to begin with ;) that's the SIM i am using at the moment in my iPhone 3G

OHHHHH... ok.. i didn't quite realise that...

you're almost accurate with the date too.. i think my cycle is the 17th.. so i'll check back in a few days to see whether it has switched over then.

i think the contract end date threw me a bit though being 11th august 2008, but now it makes sense... as i'm still on simplicity

yup.. on the paper contract, it does have my iPhone 3G's IMEI number...

18. Prometheus2000 macrumors member

That was totally sexist of me to assume that just guys buy iPhones :)

19. midnightaction thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats ok I am used to being a girl stuck in a boys world !!:D

It is strange though isn't it how gadgets are still associated with men, and I guess this was proven when I went to collect the phone on Friday. I was in store for nearly 3 hours and during that time I was the only girl who came in to purchase an iphone :eek:

Anyway I detract from the point..........:p

andyhargreaves Yes I did get a sim with it, which I have had in the phone since Saturday. Other then the phone and the sim I recieved nothing else at all, no written documentation of any sorts and no confirmation of what my number would be. Usually I am sh*t hot about this sort of thing and would not of left the store without it, but I think at the time I was just too excited that I had finally gotten the phone so was too busy acting like a crazy fangirl !!:rolleyes:

20. funkyshaker macrumors regular

Took a couple of days to switch over but I suppose it all depends when your billing cycle is.

Visual voicemail was only activated when my tariff went over to the iPhone one.

21. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I've just checked my O2 online and yes, it's now switched over AND visual voicemail is all set up and working great :)

Now I've just got to try the Cloud and BTOpenZone hot spots for automatic connections...

22. rball1979 macrumors regular

I just don't get why you don't go back into the shop and have them set you up again...Surely they are setting up accounts for others now that the backlog is clearing.

Although it's cool to have, the fact that it can't make calls etc sort of renders it useless to you!

23. lfc200 macrumors member

Its likely that they will set up the contract. It seems very strange to me that your receipt has a customer number and a transaction number on it and yet they say they cant find you on the system. All sales are recorded so its very strange.

24. FuzzMunky macrumors regular

Similar thing happened to me. CPW told me they had no recollection of my order, even though I had received my iPhone. O2 rang me up a couple of days later and left a message saying that all they had from me was a contact number and they needed all other info so they could set up my account. I didn't contact them back in time before they closed. Anyhow... soon enough they must have found the details I had originally given, cos my phone was activated without me having to call back. I then got another call from O2 saying please give me your details cos we need to activate your SIM card. I said it was already activated. They said oh, ok, good bye.

Whatever happens, don't sell your iPhone as they are sure to find your details in some sort of backup they will stumble across in time. Other than that they have the recent records of your phone calls, and Initial City Link can tell them who they have sent iPhones to. Good Luck.

25. alFR macrumors 68020

Assuming you don't want to sell it (personally I wouldn't, due to the concerns you note above) I'd:

Return to store
    Show till receipt
    Demand to know where the hell my contract documentation is and why I've got no phone service.
    If no joy, speak to manager.

Repeat daily until setup is complete. :)