Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
At least, I think it's a great idea. Many people want widgets on the home screen. Apple does not. It's not hard to see why. Apple is all about clean simple design, and their grid of icons on the home screen is just that. Adding widgets would mess up that cleanliness in their minds, and god forbid the location of those widgets be customizable! But I think I found a way to make widgets work.

It's simple. For all Apple apps that could have widgets (Weather, Stocks, etc.), you would have two options in settings to choose from. One would be to have apps launch as normal. A second option would be my idea for widgets. When you click the app's icon, a window slides down exactly in the same way it does when you open a folder. However, instead of showing more apps in that space, like a folder does, you'd have your widget. It would have basic information, and a button to press if you wanted to launch the full app. To exit the widget, you tap the icon again or you tap somewhere else on the screen, just like with folders.

Obviously the biggest issue would be some people would want pressing the icon to open a widget, and others would want it to just launch the app. That's why I said there should be an option in settings to choose. And if you go with the widget option, there will be a button in the widget to open the app.

I think this is a good compromise. I don't think Apple wants to go with full on widgets, but I think they want a home screen to offer more information. This would allow people to access basic information in apps without having to leave their homescreen. Obviously its not a 100% true widget, because you still have to tap a button to see the information, but I think this is a very workable compromise and quite frankly, I think it would look great. I would very much appreciate being able to tap the Weather icon and have a folder-like window slide down showing me the high and low for the next few days without launching the app, and then tapping the icon again to exit the widget.

Oh and one other small note: opening a widget would not put the app in your multitasking tray.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
widgets work very well with icons/shortcuts on android. At the least if Apple implemented something with widgets they could do a toggle between dashboard and home screens. With your idea its still opening and loading data, IMO thats hardly worth the effort when it takes the same time and effort.

xavierpunkreno

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
Or the widgets could just go in the wasted spotlight empty space, but I have a feeling that's where the notification list will go when the revamp that system.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Apple doesn't want widgets because it will hurt battery life.

They don't currently have a dozen different products to offer customers. They only have ONE, so they have to make sure they cater to the features that most of their customers prefer.

Maybe 15% of iPhone owners would like widgets, while probably 90% of them would prefer better battery life.

Simple logic, and probably also the reason they won't add flash.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I think Apple should implement a dashboard that you can use a pinch motion to activate. It would then overlay similar to OSX over what you were doing, with weather, stocks, etc, that update only when you activate the dashboard.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I think Apple should implement a dashboard that you can use a pinch motion to activate. It would then overlay similar to OSX over what you were doing, with weather, stocks, etc, that update only when you activate the dashboard.

I just switched to the iPhone from Android and I have to say I never really used widgets. The only one I did use and kind of miss was the weather widget on my homescreen.

If apple does add widgets though, this is how I'd like to see it done. I'm a big fan of Dashboard on my Macs at home and work. Only have the widgets use resources when you actually want them, not all the time.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008

thats what i was saying.

@tarzanman What would be difference if you had apps running in the background or a widget? and not all widgets are using data and updating. Something like a contact list or even if it did you data you can click on the widget to refresh it when you want instead of background running. I'm not sure why everyone thinks widgets are battery suckers. Too much of anything is bad.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
thats what i was saying.

@tarzanman What would be difference if you had apps running in the background or a widget? and not all widgets are using data and updating. Something like a contact list or even if it did you data you can click on the widget to refresh it when you want instead of background running. I'm not sure why everyone thinks widgets are battery suckers. Too much of anything is bad.

Glad we're on the same page.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
How about they use the space above the multitasking bar for widgets. Makes sense.

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010

They don't currently have a dozen different products to offer customers. They only have ONE, so they have to make sure they cater to the features that most of their customers prefer.

Maybe 15% of iPhone owners would like widgets, while probably 90% of them would prefer better battery life.

Just like multitasking would "hurt battery life"? Apple will eventually find a workaround for this.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

Just because the option is there doesn't mean you have to use it. Those who want to use it can and those who don't won't have to then everyone's happy. Apple uses battery life as an excuse for not giving people what they want. If battery life was the most important thing then no one would have an iPhone or an Android phone. We would all rock dumb phones that last for days.

boca76

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
I think that the Dashboard solution is not good because widgets should be on all the time.
If somebody is concerned about battery life he can switch off the widgets or set the refresh rate to a few hours.
The implementation could be very simple if the widgets would have a fixed size of 1,2,4 or 8 app icons and they could be moved around like apps.
I like the idea of widgets a lot and would use a few of them ( weather, stocks, currency converter).

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
I just switched to the iPhone from Android and I have to say I never really used widgets. The only one I did use and kind of miss was the weather widget on my homescreen.

You could always jailbreak and get lockinfo. Works great for me.

41393a60.jpg

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Apple is all about simplicity.
Before iPhone, most phones went through this sequence: press button > unlock screen > main screen > click menu > go to program

With iPhone: press button > unlock screen > menu > go to program

Essentially, they merged the unlock and main screen of phones into the unlock screen which takes you directly to the menu (home screen).

Android kind of did a hybrid of this (since unlocking the phone doesn't take you directly to the menu) but it worked out for the most part.

I'm interested to see what Apple will do in iOS5.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
No doubt Apple wants to control the aesthetics of widgets. One solution to prevent the kind of user-interface free-for-all that Apple wants to avoid is to provide a HomePage app, for which developers can create plug-ins. Those that want widgets could leave the app running, those that don't could simply ignore it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.