Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
florida
Ive heard about the flickering screen on low level brightness but i never exsperienced it until yesterday. I have never really used the 9600 gfx card so i thought my comp was good. But now since ive been using the 9600 its been flickering like crazy. So is it a big problem? Will it turn into something worst? Is it something to worry about it? Is it worth sending it to apple? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Is it like a candle flickering (backlight - like you were twiddling the brightness)? Or, are there black "bars" or full screen flashes (black) re-drawing the screen?

The latter is what I've experienced. I've had the machine since the end of February. The firmware update (should show up in Software Update, if you need it) helped quite a bit. The problem almost always shows up on wake, but not every time (maybe 20% of the time, which works out to once every few days for me, since I usually leave the machine running (open)). I can "fix" it by switching to the 9400, then back to the 9600. I'm still virtually 100% sure it's a software problem. I've never seen it in XP (Bootcamp), and I never see it just using the machine (well, maybe once or twice). I could have exchanged the machine, but aside from this, the machine is perfect (no dead pixels or any of the other physical variances people have reported).

edit: forgot to post the machine info: it's a 2.66GHz. had the 5400 RPM drive, but since swapped for the WD 7200.

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
florida
Yea its like the candel effect and i downloaded the firmware buts its still messing up even when the energy saver kicks in and the screen dims it flickers so i dont know what to do

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Yea its like the candel effect and i downloaded the firmware buts its still messing up even when the energy saver kicks in and the screen dims it flickers so i dont know what to do

Can you stop it by changing the brightness setting?

Is it only on the 9600?

and it true,

Can you get it to stop by changing to the 9400, then back to the 9600?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.