I Have A REAL BIG Problem!! [I found an iPhone 5/5s]

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iPadCary, Jun 20, 2014.

1. iPadCary, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

iPadCary macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

I swear to God this isn't BS. I need you guys' help!
    I found an iPhone 5/5s: I'm not sure which, but it has TouchID, so it's one of the two.

I wanna return it but it's, naturally, codelocked, so I can't get any contact info out of it
    so I can call or email the owner to set up a place where we can meet so I can return it.

What do I do?
    Thanks!

2. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Um...okay. If you find it at a mall, give it to the people at the mall. If you find it in front of a store, give it to the store. Why are you trying to get into the phone? There are many other way to RETURN something.

3. afsnyder macrumors 65816

It's a 5s because of Touch ID. Only the 5s has Touch ID. Give it to wherever you found it?

4. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

Not much you can do other than turn it in if possible. It is a good advertisement for having contact info on the lock screen. I put an alternate phone number on my lock screen photo using https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/if-found-lock-screen/id398340788?mt=8

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I wouldn't call this a REAL (or really if you mean "very" rather than "genuine") problem. I wouldn't even call this a big problem. As others have said either return it to the staff where you found it or drop it off at the police station. "Problem" solved!

6. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Does it show the carrier on the status bar at the top?

If it does - turn it into one of their stores. Can't speak for other places - but I know my local verizon store will look up lost & found phones you bring in and contact the owner - if possible.

Or turn it into the cops (not sure they would do anything)

Where'd you find it? On the street? In the mall?

7. iPadCary, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014

iPadCary thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

Right, right. Because we all know how trustworthy the typical store employee is ....
    And I didn't find it in a store, anyway.

Since I was clear the first time, and I'm asking just that very thing, how to return it,
    I can only conclude you're being needlessly difficult.

IF I CAN RETURN IT WITHOUT "GETTING INTO IT", WELL THEN FINE.
    I'M ASKING HOW DO I GO ABOUT DOING THAT???

So since you've nothing to contribute, please stay out of it.

OK, some messageboards have where you're from underneath the username.
    This one doesn't, so I can only assume you guys are saying what you're saying
    because you think I live in some fantasyland where people are decent.

So let me clarify: I live in New York City & I found the iPhone on the subway.
    If I return it through "official channels", let us say, two things will happen:
    1) I'll be punched in the face for "being a sucker" by trying to turn it in and not keeping it or trying to sell it.
    2) The phone will never be heard from again, as the people I turn it in to
    will undoubtably fight over it to see who gets to take it home.

Are we all clear now? Good.

Well, I don't care what you'd call it. How's that grab ya?

Please see previous reply.
    And as far as turning it into the cops goes, I'll just ignore that for, again, the above reasons.

8. TWO2SEVEN, Jun 20, 2014

TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The more this thread goes on, the less believable this "found" story gets...

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Clear enough - and the answer (already offered) is also clear.
    If the 'phone is locked, and there's no obvious way to contact the real owner, then you could:
    ...Keep the phone as a souvenir, you can't actually use it for much of anything.
    ...Sell it for parts. (assuming you can convince anyone that it's not stolen…)
    ...Drop it off at a Apple store (they can't do anything with it either.)
    ...Drop it in the nearest trash container.
    (There is NO hidden method that will provide a way to contact the real owner, if they didn't provide any way to be contacted)
    ...If you are not really an "island of good intentions in a sea of despair", sell to your local fence. :D
    …etc., etc...

Good people do exist (you are one!), life is tough enough without being cynical of everyone around you...

10. aajeevlin, Jun 20, 2014

aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Someone certainly think very HIGHLY of themselves. Right, so we also know how trustworthy some typical guy on the internet is ...

If you find it on the subway then return it to the authority. What they do with it is their problem, it's none of your concern. By holding the phone, the person actually have less change of getting it back, as you wasting time trying to figure out how to get into the phone.

You have your solution, you are just not willing to accept the solution. If you can't trust the subway authority, give it to the police.

11. iPadCary, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014

iPadCary thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

Is that right, Baretta ....
    Tell me, what would be the point in me making this up?
    What would be the point of me stealing an iPhone, the openly mentioning it on a messageboard?
    Please, for the love of God, just stay out of it.
    I thought I'd, Heaven forbid, actually get help from an Apple messageboard,
    but, instead, all I'm getting is nonsense.
    Despicable.

If it's gotten to the point where someone saying that they aren't a scumbag thief
    is "thinking highly of thereself", then I want nothing to do with you.

Can you read?!? Can you?!?

Unfortunately the only reoly that's made any sense so far.

But what about this: with "Find My iPhone" can't he send a message to the phone from another device with, possibly, an email address or a phone number in the message?
    Could something like that happen?

12. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I'm not sure if I'd go around calling other people dumb when you could have easily read the countless threads others have posted on this same topic. :rolleyes:

Drop it off at the carrier store, who cares if the sales reps are trustworthy or not, it's not your problem. You should have turned it into the security of the mall you found it at...or if you didn't find it at a mall/store drop it off at the police station. Simple really. No need to be so dramatic.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hold down the home button to active Siri. If it lets you, tell it to "Call Mom," "Call Dad," etc. Some phones can be passcode locked, but may let you use Siri from the lockscreen.

Beyond that, you could attempt to return it to a police station, an Apple Store, or, looking at the model number, the Carrier Store. Believe it or not, some of those have actually been helpful.

Other than that, you can sell it for parts if all of those avenues fail. Not much else we can do for you.

14. iPadCary thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPadCary

Please. Just .... please.

----------

FINALLY, something constructive! I'll give that a try!

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

16. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Just give it to your best friend for Christmas.
    :D

17. Ambush083 macrumors regular

Ambush083

Just keep it charged so they can use Find My iPhone. You could probably see the notification from the lock screen. They can also find the location of the phone using Find My iPhone. They may try to text or call the phone to locate it as well. At that point you could answer the phone.

Actually all you have to do is ask "what is my name." Siri will reply with the name it's registered to, at least a first name. Then say "show me ______'s contact information". Or maybe you can say "show me my contact information" Unless they have it blocked.

Hope this helps.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How about just answer it when they call it and make arrangements to return it.
    That's if you really want to return it but doesn't sound like it.

19. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Seems like every suggestion is met with some smart A response.

"Yea right, like I can trust a person calling the phone?!" :p

20. I7guy macrumors G5

Op went away, seems like a simple suggestion to try and report back on. Especially since a lot of effort was expended with smart alecky type answers.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Yeah, I'm not buying this tale.

inb4wasteland

22. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

For members here who have never visited New York- don't worry... the OP doesn't reflect the general attitude of most New Yorkers.

23. I7guy macrumors G5

I don't understand why common sense goes out the window. Turn the phone in. At least the owner can call a place or location and pick up the phone in a safe manner.

24. Ambush083 macrumors regular

Ambush083

He has been a member since 2012. I would've made a new screen name if I was gonna try to steal it. Right? :rolleyes: I'll give'em the benefit of the doubt.

25. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

Or "llamar a la madre" and "llamar padre" if they are Spanish.