I have a sealed 2G iPhone. Do you think it will become worth a lot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lambo, Jul 28, 2010.

1. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Lol.... You missed the point.

Given today's state of the art computers, you would think an apple 1 would be worthless eh.....

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/4...1-computer-sold-auction-online-technology.htm

2. danilko1 macrumors 6502a

danilko1

It doesn't matter if the battery melts everything. The act of looking, ruins the artifact. So I think that point is moot. It's sealed in a box. That's it. It's crucial to prove that the shrink wrap is original though.

What makes this an important artifact? iOS1 before it was called iOS. If a phone is opened, the chances are slim to none, that it has anything less than iOS 3 on it.

Anyway, it won't take 20 years to make good money. Maybe 15 years. I think it's a lot more rare than you think, unless a lot of people were buying and storing these phones hoping to cash in in 10/20 years.

3. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

Kep it and keep it sealed. It'll be worth something! I think they're at least 1000$ on ebay right now

4. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

This….although exaggerated, the point is that li-ion batteries die without use. So, the battery will not be able to hold any charge once opened. The phone would have to go back to Apple for a battery replacement, and hence lose values off the bat

5. Vegastouch, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Not even close. Some are asking that but nobody is bidding on them.
    They won't be worth anything.
    Unopened or not. I watch collectors shows all the time and nothing is sealed and if they are worth anything, people will pay.

If you watch Pawn Stars,.. a guy brought in a old Apple computer from way back and he thought he could get hundreds for it and they offered $20 so he didn't have to lug it home. He declined, left, came back two hours later and took it. I assume someone else told him it was worthless.

If you are patient,maybe you will get something for it but there is no market for those.

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

There are collectors for all sorts of junk... but sooner or later the battery will explode (not light on fire kind of explode just bloated and expanded) and your iPhone 2G will be worthless then.

7. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The Apple 1 is worth money because IT WAS THE FIRST, there is a history that goes with it, and there is only like 10 in existence and only 3 of those still powers up.

What's the story with the 2G? Nada. Is not worth anything to me.

Wanna buy my Apple ][?

8. DownByFive macrumors newbie

Sell the phone and invest the money in a mutual fund. Guarantee that'll make you more money in the long run.

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I think it would be fun to run an original iPhone on 1.X firmware. Although I think the hitch might be in getting it paired with AT&T at this point...

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

I'm curious, do you still have it?

11. its Dale macrumors 6502

classic cars (restored) sell for wayyyy more than they did when they originally hit the market. less features and old tech too. that phone will be worth a lot, regardless of evolved tech. It will become a collectors item

12. pcptrade macrumors newbie

pcptrade

1Phone 1st generation 8gb model have been selling for more than 4K on ebay (on bid items). One was sold for $4050 two days ago. There are few other listings asking for 10-20K. I have seen quite a few factory sealed first generation 8GB models that have been sold on ebay since 2010 but not any 4GB models yet. There are three to five factory sealed 4GB models that currently exist (based on online search, three youtube videos). Current selling price for factory sealed 8GB model is more than 4K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291530925272?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649

http://consumerist.com/2014/12/11/someone-just-paid-25k-for-a-pair-of-first-generation-8gb-iphones/

http://www.redmondpie.com/a-pair-of-first-generation-iphone-2g-were-sold-for-25000-on-ebay/

So it is definitely worth more than what everyone was predicting and we are only 7 years post launch!

13. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Please, next time, look at when the thread was made and when the last post was made. The thread is well over 5 years old at this point, and the last reply more than 8 months.

14. pcptrade macrumors newbie

pcptrade

It may not be of interest to you but the topic of the discussion was "
    I have a sealed 2G iPhone. Do you think it will become worth a lot?"

This discussion topic will be never ending because it is related to whether first generation sealed iphone will be a collectibe/vintage item whose value will appreciate over time or not.

15. uwdude macrumors 6502a

There will be a certain time to sell, when people who were young and got their first smartphone as the first iPhone are middle aged and willing to pay quite a bit for the nostalgia. That will be the time to sell. A few decades after that it will be more of a museum piece and nobody will care. So yes there will be a time to sell and get maximum money, probably in about 30-40 years.

However, there were millions of these made, and anybody who has access to a sealer can seal one of the boxes up (most grocery stores have them), and so I'm not sure if the fact that it's sealed will make that big of a difference, as long as the box is in good condition, and all the original accessories are there.

16. pcptrade macrumors newbie

pcptrade

One guy who posted a video on youtube actually took the iphone to apple shop and verified that the factory sealed iphone 1st generation was never activated and the seal is original

17. pcptrade macrumors newbie

pcptrade

Here is another factory sealed first generation iPhone 8GB on ebay. Current bid is $4633 with 2 more days left. There are 101 bids already! I wonder how much a factory sealed first generation 4GB iphone would be since it is even more rare-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iphone-1st-...3952&clkid=8273753768198060555&_qi=RTM2067267

18. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Take it to Pawn Stars and get on TV!!

19. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

And get $50 for it!

20. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Why do so some people in this forum scold folks for reviving old threads? In most forums I've seen, it's the opposite -- the faux pas is to start a new thread on a topic that already exists.

21. pcptrade macrumors newbie

pcptrade

Perhaps the people who are upset are the ones who originally thought that it will not be worth much and are shocked to see the factory sealed first generation iphones selling for such high prices ;):) Just a thought...

22. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

Ha – I've seen people scolded for reviving dormant threads on other topics...

23. lambo thread starter macrumors regular

LOL

But yeah this this thread is serving as historical record. Thanks for adding a new dot on the timeline of this iPhone, pcptrade.

I'm not concerned with artificial sealers on already opened iPhones since anyone can enter the serial number on Apple.com

24. lambo thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like it's actually becoming a collector's item now. This is just from an article on the December 10, 2016.

Prices for the original iPhone keep getting more and more absurd - Yahoo News

"If you want the top-of-the-line, “display worthy” examples you can plan on a total of $15,000 or more."

Prices for the original Apple iPhone still sealed in the original box run as high as $22k on eBay - phonearena.com

"Even if it was all dumb luck, those with a mint condition iPhone still in the sealed box can reap as much as $20,000 on eBay from a willing buyer. And yes, sellers are actually getting these prices."

[​IMG]