i have an ipod 1g.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mattsally, Oct 30, 2010.

1. mattsally macrumors newbie

hey, i need some help. my ipod randomly turned off while playing music and it won't turn on past the start up screen. it stays there for about 15 sec. before turning back off. i've tried turning it on with the vharger, comp., and by itself. can you help me?

2. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

It's probably just old. This did happen to my Sansa Clip, although this is not the SansaClip forum, my MP3 won't turn on. Even if I charge it for a week.

Sorry, but you might want to get it looked at, and it is probably easy to be repaired. Can't help.

(I've had my MP3 for three years)

3. mattsally thread starter macrumors newbie

i was also wondering how to get the 4.0 software on my 1g too.

4. MacbookAlum1536 macrumors regular

MacbookAlum1536

You can't. The 1st Gen iPod Touch can only be updated to software 3.1.3. They dropped support for the first Gen iOS devices as the hardware couldn't handle it.

5. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

My iPod Touch did the same thing once. If you press and hold the home and sleep buttons for 30 seconds, not just long enough to reboot it, but about 10 seconds longer than that, it'll go into restore mode. From there you can restore the software via itunes and get it back to normal.

If that doesn't work, it's a good opportunity to upgrade.

BTW, iOS4 doesn't work with the 1st gen iPod Touch. The hardware won't support it.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah it can?
    The iPhone 3G is more or less the same as the first generation iPod Touch, and the iPhone has to carry a bit more than the iPod Touch (staying connected to network, etc)

They just wanted everyone to buy new iPods. It works though.

To be honest, the first generation iPod Touch doesn't have volume rockers, and when you double click in 3.1.3, you get the volume slider bar, but when you double click in 4.x, then you get the multitasking bar or what not. Probably thats why they didn't do it either.

7. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

if apple never released 4.0 for 3G there would never have been the speed issues :rolleyes: but people want 4.0 :confused: never happy lol :p

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Supposedly, 4.2 should be good for 3G. I don't really want new features, I just want it to say "Version 4.x" so I can continue to download and update apps.

9. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Yep that makes sense sadly once Apple decide to stop ur stuck with older versions of apps and no new ones :(