I have gone back to the original iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anonymous Freak, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Anonymous Freak, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Started a new job at the beginning of the year. The company was just transitioning from Blackberries to iPhones. My personal phone had been an iPhone 4S since the day it came out. My wife had an iPhone 4, and our daughter had an iPhone 3G - primarily as "emergency phone call" device. (She played a couple games on it, but not much else. The family also has an iPad Air that my daughter is primary user of.)

At my prior job, there was no company-supplied phone, they gave you a small stipend if you were in a job that required the use of a cell phone, to help subsidize your personal phone.

At this new job, because of the timing of my hire, I got to be in the very first wave of users assigned an iPhone. Obviously, I was hoping for a 5S, but they standardized on the 5C instead. (No color choice - it was random luck of the draw; I got a white one.) *HEAVILY* locked down - no Siri, no FaceTime, custom website-based app store with VERY limited selection of apps. Can't sync to a computer. Built-in iTunes and App Stores blocked, all forms of video blocked (iTunes Match enabled for music, but while the Video app was visible, there was no way to get video in to it!) (Also, all video-watching apps blocked, no Netflix, no Hulu, etc.) No Pebble, no home automation apps for the devices I use.

So, not exactly "good to replace my personal phone". Had to carry two phones around.

Then, a couple weeks ago, they rolled out the new and improved device management system. Instead of being totally locked down, it was generally "open" by default. Standard Apple App Store, with only certain apps blocked, rather than blocking by default. Siri and FaceTime re-enabled, video and video apps allowed. So now, it's pretty usable as a replacement for my personal phone. So I decided it was as good a time as any to try to move to just one phone. Started by swapping my wife for her iPhone 4, and she got the 4S. Slowly started moving my app usage over to the work phone. The plan was to port my personal phone number to Google Voice, and forward to my work phone. Use the Google Voice and Hangouts apps to make/receive phone calls and text messages to my "personal number," while most of my MMS-equipped friends have iPhones already, so those would seamlessly transition to iMessage on the work phone.

So decided to make the commit: I was going to port the number last week, and pass the iPhone 4 to my daughter, so she could have a modern-app-capable phone (for at least another month until the iP4 becomes obsolete...) Only a snag came up: For some reason, Google Voice says my number can't be ported. I don't know why - it's with one of their preferred carriers now. It IS a number I've had for about 18 years now, over 5-6 different carriers. Maybe I've ported it so many times their system is confused? (Although ironically I'm with the original carrier I got the number from again now!)

Well, I had already let my daughter know I was going to give her the iPhone 4, and had transferred 99% of my usage to my work phone already. So I just decided to bite the bullet and give her the iPhone 4, and use my personal number on her iPhone 3G. Once I did that, though, I figured "why bother using the 3G? The only thing I'm going to use it for is the occasional outgoing phone call to people I don't want to have my work cell phone number and for text messaging to people who don't have iMessage-capable phones that will go to my work phone already."

So I decided to go back to my very original, purchased-day-of-launch-2007 iPhone. AKA "iPhone 2G". I'd had it sitting around with Whited00r just to play with for a while, so I went ahead and refreshed it, and am now happily running it. (For those that don't know, Whited00r is a Jailbreak custom firmware that visually emulates iOS 7 on older pre-iOS 7 devices. It looks and behaves about 99% the same as iOS 7 on an iPhone 4; and not much slower than iPhone OS 3 natively.)

So, 7 years after I first bought it, and 6 years since I last used it day-to-day, I am back to using an original iPhone as my primary personal phone.

The only "real apps" I have on it are an MMS-enabler, Twitter, and Facebook. (Installed with Whited00r's "AppTimeMachine", which will install "last compatible" versions of apps.)

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's cool. I'm on Sprint and I just got an iPhone in 2012 (launch day) so I'm still on my one and only iPhone 5. iOS 6.1 though!

My company has less than ten employees so it's my personal phone. :D

3. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I kind of wish I had an original iPhone. I think they would be even better if they had more storage and could iMessage, but otherwise you could say I'm a bit envious in a way.

4. andyx3x macrumors 65816

5. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The low number of functioning apps makes the storage nearly irreleant for me. I suppose I could load movies and/or music, but my work phone handles those just fine.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I keep my 1st gen iPhone around. Haven't powered it up in ages. Now I kinda want to :)

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That's cool! I miss my 2G. I used to have to put it in the freezer to get the wifi working at the very end, and it was literally falling apart. Finally it took a dive into the water and thus was no more in 2010.

I wonder if Evernote would still work? Hahaha. Kinda sad that just THAT would take up the entire storage on one of those nowadays. I used to use it on mine though.

9. StephenAndrew macrumors member

I actually recently picked up a used iPhone 2G on ebay myself. To my surprise, there were a bunch on there, for not much...like $25. It's a neat way to frivolously spend a few extra bucks if you're feeling nostalgic.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

same here!

11. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

12. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I love stories like this!
    Every now and then I'll pop out my SIM and place it back into either a 3G or even the iPhone.

Sadly though, it's like wanting to carry around a pocket watch. Fun for awhile- but when it comes down to the business of knowing the time and the effort to dig around your pocket and retrieve the watch, pop open the cap and check the time- it's a bit cumbersome.
    I feel the same way about the iPhone. The lag and waiting for almost anything and everything to open kills the hipster joy of using it and I find myself kind of quieting going back to the 5©(s).

13. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Oh, and I forgot to include: yes, I have the original Apple Bluetooth Headset, too. Sadly, it's battery only lasts about 3 hours on standby, so I turn it on only for my commute AM & PM.

Attached Files:

14. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Mine still works great! Played a round of flight control for a few minutes ;)

15. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

This makes me want an original iPhone.

It's the only one I haven't owned. I tend to follow them on eBay but I want to get one that's in relatively good shape that doesn't cost a fortune.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet....cheers to you though!

16. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Been wanting to activate my iPhone 2G and go back to ATT. I know I can activate it and be on the orignal data plan, but can I add other lines to the plan? That way I can get rollover minutes. Since I'm not with ATT I can't test it out.

17. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I had my original iPhone on T-Mobile, but the battery swelled up enough to crack the screen. It still functions, but it now lives in its box on the shelf. :-(

A.

18. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

And one thing I just thought of... With commentators describing the look of the leaked iPhone 6 as being "the original iPhone run over" - maybe I'll try to pass my original iPhone off as the 'iPhone 6 mini'. :p

19. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Amazing that that device is 7 years only and the most current iPhone is only .5 inches bigger! :rolleyes:

20. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I took mine into AT&T the other day and had them activate it. Sadly I had forgotten about the iMessage bug so I had to go back after a few hours.

I have the day off today so I may give it another go. I have my 5s listed on Craigslist but have gotten nothing but lowballs and scam attempts so far.

21. megapopular macrumors 6502a

2g is gonna be gone in a few years... What a sad day that'll be.

http://cd-2migration.redhouseusa.com/pdf/2G_Sunset_FAQs_2014_A1.pdf

22. Anonymous Freak thread starter macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

23. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

That's pretty cool.

How usable is the phone? I have an iPhone 3G just sitting in a box somewhere because whatever the latest support iOS version for it just made everything crawl. I wouldn't mind getting it up and running again if I could somehow revert back to an older version.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not that amazing that quite a few people don't really need or want something big. Sure, plenty might, but many don't.

25. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed