I have had it with the POS Apple keyboards and mice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by esaias, Aug 2, 2008.

1. esaias macrumors member

I mean how bad a keyboard can be.

I have just been typing A LOT with the white apple KB that came with the mac pro and with macbook and there has NEVER been so much missing letters in my text before. I mean the, on the macbook, the keyboard doesn't register the keypresses if you press it quick enough so you have to write like a retard, just take it sllllooooowwwww. All hail the selfproclaimed king of usability, Apple!

And then the mac pro KB, this piece of sh*t misses letters too, and ALOT! There's something totally f*'d up with the mechanics, if you press the keys even slightly off center, the key gets stuck halfway and doesn't register the keypress. Somebody give an oldschool Keytronic please please please.

I don't even want to start with that soap-looking plastic turd which they call Mighty "Misclick" Mouse. I threw it in the corner, gladly it hit wall pretty hard.
    The scrolling ball has become useless in less than a year, I guess it is just dirt in there but still. I have used Logitech MX-series mice for years and never have had to clean their innards.
    I plugged in my MX510, now I feel comfortable.

Anyone want to share these feelings with Apple's input devices?

(anyone who says mine-works-just-fine or take-it-to-the-store gets a haymaker.)

-t

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

4. Queso macrumors G4

To be honest it's down to your typing style. I actually prefer the new aluminium keyboards and the like to the older heavier ones that older machines such as my iMac G5 came with, and find I can type much quicker on the new layout (I do around 50-60WPM normally).

But I agree that if you can't get on with them, it's much better than to spend the tiny amount it costs to buy third party offerings rather than sitting and seething every time you use your computer.

As for the so-called Mighty Mouse, yeah....that's shall we say an acquired taste :rolleyes:

5. pinktank macrumors 6502

ermm buy some old ibm keyboards and a chill pill and it will do the trick, I think

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

well, there's your problem right there. stop throwing it, and it might register your clicks more accurately. :rolleyes:

seriously, though, i find typing on the new keyboard effortless and fairly accurate. apple's mice, though...sigh. i was never able to acclimate, so i bought a logitech vx revolution.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The new keyboard is the best I've ever seen, but MM is just a (good looking) piece of white crap.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Wow. I must use my Alu keyboard and wired MM heavily in excess of 12 hours some days. They're far, far better than any of the Microsoft, Dell or Logitech keyboards and mice I've ever used :S

The alu keyboard in particular is just sensational. My typing speed has increased and my wrists and fingers ache much less.

9. Ozz.Man macrumors member

Many of us will side with the mouse rant :). And I have had my fair share of the older Apple keyboards failing what I thought was a bit early. But I am really digging the new slim aluminum keyboard. I loved it so much I went and bought the bluetooth wireless one :)

10. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

The slim aluminum keyboards are great for fast touch typists, imo. Really like mine, I hope Apple keeps them around for a long while.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

dude, chill. i use the macbook keyboard, which is the same style, spaced out keys and white, as the aluminum keyboard. its pretty good, and id never go back to the other keyboards, that collect so much dust, and the keys are so huge... just chill, and if you dont like it, sell it and buy another. dont cuss us out. just my 2 cents.

12. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I've never liked the Mighty Mouse. It feels cheap and works poorly in comparison to cheaper, higher quality mice. I've owned and worked with several and had problems with the scrolling-ball thingie on every single one.

The slim aluminum keyboard, however, is my favorite keyboard of all time. Good feel and gorgeous aesthetically.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

14. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I agree 100%. Logitech mice ftw. Aside from the Apple mice I've been saddled with, I use them exclusively. Haven't tried that one yet, but looks hot.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The noise pollution is bad enough in offices, I'd hate to see how many people would die at the end of a gun if they replace the current soft touch keyboards with the clicky keyboards. :eek:

16. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

:mad:

Should have kept my mouth shut, I guess. Went to bed last night and all was fine. Now this morning my Mighty Mouse won't scroll down. :rolleyes:

17. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I have difficulty typing with the Aluminium keyboard, but I put it down to the minimal key travel and the very low key height, which makes it difficult to "touch type" the way I do it.

Still, I find practice makes perfect and I slowly get better and better with it.

I am not a fan of the Mighty Mouse, but I do have a wireless unit for travel since it's small and Bluetooth.

18. Mac In School macrumors 65816

The mouse blows.

The aluminum keyboards, and previous gen white ones rock.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Paper towel. Unplug the mouse, and with the paper towel between the ball and your finger roll it in all directions for a minute. That will sort it out.

Always does with mine anyway.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I like the older Apple wireless keyboard (before they flattened them) even though I was used to the MS natural keyboard. That thing seems clunky to me now. You may just be using bad typing style, but I can't tell for sure. Could also be a bad keyboard or a driver glitch.

As for the mouse, that is one of the few problems I have with my wireless one. It's BADASS as far as I'm concerned, yet I do get annoying with the ball. Best thing to do is 1) take a bit of alcohol (rubbing, drunks!) and put it on a cotton ball. Gently wipe the ball, making sure to rotate it all the way. Then blast the hell outta it with with compressed air. That fixed mine after weeks of problems.

21. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I was originally an aluminum keyboard hater™, because I didn't like the MacBook keyboard. After deciding I was going to keep my white Apple Keyboard, I thought I'd give the Alu a chance - and I haven't looked back. I love it. Despite the fact that I still can't stand the MB's keyboard. :confused:

As to the mouse, well my Mighty Mouse almost always stays sitting in a corner - I use my Wacom for pointing when the MBP's on the iCurve, unless I really need the other mouseyness abilities (e.g. in C&C3). But I wouldn't change the MM. They've always been good to me.

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's another reason why I love the VX Nano..... zero maintenance!

23. Digital Fury macrumors member

Digital Fury

The slim Al wired keyboard is great for fast touch typists, as the old white one that came with the iMac and Mac Pro required pounding on them to type.

The current MBP keyboard is a spongy POS that is horrible for touch typist. I actually had to resell a brand new 15" MBP in late 2007 because I couldn't type with it.

Apple mice always have been POS. I've been happy with a Logitech MX Revolution ever since it came out.

24. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

I like the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse, have used it for a few years now. Keys are very responsive and not too loud.

For cleaning the Mighty Mouse, do as recommended above (paper towel, roll around upside down) but moisten the paper towel with a little rubbing alcohol. That works for me all the time.

25. Queso macrumors G4

Very very true, but for those that have MMs that's still a good tip :)