I have HAD IT! with this mouse!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sir Loin Steak, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I am truly sick of having to try to 'fix' my mighty mouse by turning it upside down and rubbing the ball on paper etc.

I am going to get rid of the damn thing, but I need to know what to replace it with.

Any recommendations for another bluetooth mouse that'll work with the iMac?

(my advice to anyone getting a new mac is don't bother with the mighty mouse 'cos it's CRAP!)

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Blow up tre1 macrumors member

Magic mouse

way to small, no multi touch support, overpriced. Better than the not so mighty mouse, but wouldn't buy one (G5 is same price as magic).

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Microsoft makes some very good mice. If you're looking for something slick and portable, the Arc Mouse is good. If you want something bigger, a Laser Mouse 2000 (Wireless) or 3000 (Not) are nice. Their ergonomic mice are nice too, but I find them TOO big.

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I ended up with the best mouse I've ever used - the Logitech MX 5500 desktop set. It's Bluetooth, and you can generally get them (like I did) refurb on eBay for around $80 (the retail is something ridiculous like $160.)

The mouse BY ITSELF is worth the price, but I am using the keyboard too. The only bad part is that while Logitech's products are great, their Mac support really sucks, and they don't support this mouse and keyboard with their LCC driver software.

The keyboard works fine if you don't need most of the "media" keys (although some of the keys DO work as expected.)

The mouse is great, but you really need SteerMouse ($20) to configure the buttons the way you want them. Small price to pay to have one of the best full-size Bluetooth mice out there.

6. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I would suggest an MX Revolution (not the newer MX Performance Mouse). I bought one at a great price from Best Buy ($40) about a year ago, and haven't looked back since.

7. partyBoy macrumors 68000

partyBoy

you should buy the logitech performance mx mouse,its awesome,its wireless and the receiver is about the size of a penny,nice modern design and it has alot of features like one touch search...the magic mouse is kool but this one beats it with more features :D

Attached Files:

8. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

You're funny! :D - seriously, have you been living in a cave the last two weeks?. I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your post - you hadn't heard of Magic mouse?!... :eek:

You're in for a treat, then!. :D

PS: The "Mighty mouse" is now named "Apple mouse" - just to keep you up to speed.

9. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I just got the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX and I love it. I was initially opposed to having a receiver and really wanted Bluetooth, but the disadvantages of Bluetooth mouses really outweigh their advantages.

10. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Uhhmm... how?

11. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Magic Mouse. Best mouse I've ever used, and it'll only get better once more gestured are released/created by hackers.

12. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Kinda curious about that too. What are the disadvantages of Bluetooth, exactly?

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The MX Revo is like 3 years old, the PMX is the successor, and is a tight mouse for those who have big hands.

14. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I still prefer the MX Revolution over the Performance model.

15. maghemi macrumors 6502

My suggestion would be to go find a local PC retailer or electronic chain store that sells computer stuff. And try out their selection of mice to find one that feels right to you.

16. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

was ready to throw my Magic Mouse against the wall on the first day. A week or so later and I can't imagine using anything else. Love it. And I came from a wireless Mighty Mouse.

17. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Go with the Magic Mouse. I have been using it for a few days and absolutely love it, especially the momentum scrolling on long webpages. And it is very intuitive..you don't even think about what you are doing with it you just do it.

I was using a wireless Mighty/Apple Mouse and I am so glad that this thing is touch sensitive and that I never have to worry about that damn ball sticking up on me and not being able to scroll. Mine had gotten horrible and was acting up 3 or 4 times a day.

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I second the recommendation for the Magic Mouse. I know it seems illogical to jump from an Apple mouse you hate to yet another Apple mouse, but it really is that much better.

It's a bit expensive yes, but worth the price in my opinion for the multitouch surface - the scrolling is perfection itself.

And recent hacking has shown that the mouse is capable of much, much more. If Apple doesn't enable more customization, I would not be surprised at all if third parties will develop drivers that enables all that the Magic Mouse has to offer - two-finger swipes and even three-finger swipes.

Yes it's small, but I like smaller mice - I don't like mice that "fills my palm" I rather to hold the mouse just by my fingers and move them that way, instead of forcing my arm upwards so my palm rests on the mouse. I don't understand why so many people like this, but whatever.

19. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Lag and power consumption. Logitech's RF responds pretty much just like a wired USB mouse.

20. glossywhite macrumors 65816

glossywhite

Well did you know that the wired (and also, possibly, the wireless?) Mighty mice were made by Logitech?.

The Magic mouse performs perfectly well - I don't know by what means you are capable of precisely measuring a noticeable difference in performance between mice connected via a proprietory wireless protocol, or bluetooth. I think this is more likely a placebo.

One less USB port, and a mouse made by a company who are notoriously unhelpful toward anyone except windows users. Fact.

21. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

yes i'm sure forums user "glossywhite" is completely unbiased

the differences between logitech and other brands' proprietary RF systems and bluetooth are well documented, you should consider looking into it. most bluetooth mice have noticeable lag compared to RF. to discount this as a placebo is really disingenuous

logitech may not be great at supporting mac users -- at least, shockingly, not as good as apple -- but with steermouse plus the fact that they're capable of making a mouse that doesn't become unusable because you scrolled too much, i doubt i will need their support too often

22. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I haven't really noticed any major disadvantages by having a Bluetooth mouse. I now have:

• One extra USB port free (I have a LOT of USB devices hooked up, and I still need to unplug every once in awhile...)

• No noticeable lag vs. the Logitech MX Revolution USB mouse I was using previously

• No lag on my Bluetooth KEYBOARD -- my Cordless Wave Pro had major issues where sometimes I had to move my hand to the right edge of the keyboard for the text to appear.

• Even though my new keyboard isn't supported on the Mac by Logitech, the Option-Eject works to eject my 2nd DVD drive. My Cordless Wave pro would only eject the first DVD whether I did Eject or Option-Eject...and that keyboard WAS supported for Mac!

• Easy recharge stand for the mouse, which can easily go 2-3 weeks without needing a charge.

The *ONLY* issue I have is if I accidentally hit the "connect" button on the bottom of the keyboard or mouse (pretty rare, cos it's hard to "accidentally" hit)...then it says it's detecting it, but never finds it. I have to go back and set up a new Bluetooth device and delete the original.

Your experience may be different, but I have ZERO reservations about using Bluetooth over USB (and if your USB dongle gets lost or damaged, I don't think you can just use any USB dongle...I may be wrong about that though.)

23. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Right, but those disadvantages are shared by wireless (non-Bluetooth) mice as well, so those aren't really Bluetooth-specific disadvantages.

24. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

They are exacerbated by Bluetooth.

25. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

They are exacerbated by Bluetooth.