I have little doubt that Apple sold defective iPhone 4's now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric-PTEK, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

We went to Apple today and they replaced both of our iPhone 4's that experienced pretty much every complaint on here.

Dropped calls, full bars but no data, no sync on Exchange that was only made worse by the data issues.

I paid attention to what they asked us. First off the denial was incredible, everything from there is no problem at all, to I'm holding the phone wrong for the proximity sensor, etc.

The most important thing was he asked us when we bought them and after I said first thing on the pre-order day he gave up all argument to getting us replacement phones.

Got 2 replacement iPhone's which he said were new, no time for refurbs.

Before this we had done every single thing Apple/ATT said to do, took hours on the phone with them.

With the new phones not a single problem today. Not a single dropped call, no data issues, Exchange works(fixed by another fix but still million times better than before), even in the middle of a mall with crappy reception everything worked. No pausing to send text's or make calls.

Judging by the posts on here there is a large group of people who got crappy phones. It's not a silent software fix, I loaded iOS4 on my phone fresh 2 days ago.

They blamed it on the network, they blamed it on the software, everything except the phone itself which miraculously with 2 new phones its perfect.

My big problem is Apple won't admit it. They will silently replace phones as they come in. I bet we see a glut of refurb'd phones in the future.

For those who may believe Apple is totally guilt free in this....you do not have large groups of very smart people working for you, you don't go through 4 major product launches like this, etc without good QA. If they didn't know at launch which I doubt, they knew shortly there after. Instead of just being honest and stating they had a problem they took this route.

I firmly believe this is the white phone issue. White phone production was to ramp up but they found the problem and pushed off white phone production to run fixed black phones since the product mix is heavily black.

Apple has plenty of experience making white products in white plastic, the 'manufacturing difficulties' is all smoke and mirrors IMO.

Call it conjecture, call it whatever you want but all the facts that are available point to something like this.

The experience using these new phones is totally different. The old ones were sluggish at time waiting on network responses, took FOREVER to re-acquire a signal. Now when we drive through a dead spot you see the bars drop and come right back up within a mile of one another. AT&T does have a dead spot about 3 miles from us that we drive through.

The problem IMO is not they sold a defective product, it's that they will not admit it. Fine, lie a little and say you didn't find it until after production started, auto companies do that all the time.

For all the fanboi's that defend Apple there is a big reason why they don't need to admit their errors, some will go down with the ship.

I did get my credit on both my bill and a little something from Apple too for my trouble to cover all the BS we went through.

2. rafter.shop macrumors newbie

What you say makes perfect sense. They should stand up for a bad production run.

What I want to know...and I don't think any of us will ever know...is there a single production flaw that resulted in the signal drop, prox sensor fail, and SIM errors? Or were there multiple flaws?

Glad to hear you have good product now.

Did you have to aggressively complain or were you able to get resolved while staying civil?

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm glad you posted this. I was on the fence until I read this. Now I completely understand!

Still love my iPhone 4!

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm glad you got yours sorted out. I took mine in last Sunday for the signal loss issue and was told they weren't replacing phones for that issue. I'm going to wait to see how this plays out.

5. carrotcloud macrumors member

typical... they've been inconsistent with what they have said so far with ip4.. everything.. it's piss poor.. and arrogant.. i know we are just numbers to them but hope they realise we eventually add up to make what they are.

6. zoman504 macrumors regular

So if we are having the signal loss issue or prox issue, should we pretty much just schedule a genius appt and mention we are experiencing all of the issues? I'm assuming if they hear the buzz word "reception" they will turn down an exchange, but if we complain we have on and off yellowing, the blue circle on the camera, etc. will they be more apt to exchange? I love how the fanboys tell us to just do an exchange, if only it was that easy. On the phone they turned me down twice, i havent tried in store though.

7. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

It was pretty easy. I told them I spent 6 hours on the phone with ATT/Apple. The big difference is when I said they were first orders, 5:30am on pre-order day.

So assuming there was some rhyme/reason to when we ordered and product order shipment thats when it went away.

I just said "I want them replaced" and that was it. My wife's phone showed 150 calls made and 23 dropped which was bogus. 150 calls in a week? Sure with a broken phone, she had to make most calls 3 times to get a successful connection.

I am EXTREMELY happy with the new phone, it is what Apple says it is, I just wish they'd admit their error.

Took about 5 minutes. The REALLY funny thing. We were waiting for our appointment and I was standing near the door by the iPhone 4 display waiting. One of the guys came up and asked me how we liked our iPhone 4's. When I said they were complete piles of crap and about 5 customers who looked up from checking out the iPhone 4's as i went through my list of problems, magically we were next in line and a Genius came to us right there on the spot.

The replacements really are flawless, I had not gone this long without a multitude of problems. I was in the same area's as the past few weeks wthin a 30 mile radius of our house and zero issues, super speedy internet, maps, all of it just worked.

8. WilliamG macrumors G3

You can firmly believe whatever you want! I got my iPhone last week, Wednesday, June 23, and mine has had NONE of the issues you described with your original phone.

You know what I have little doubt of? People on Macrumors TRULY believe the world revolves around them, and that THEIR issue is everyone else's. Pisses me right off...:mad:

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Apple posted a memo on their website stating they would replace the phones today, so I don’t see why you made the conclusion in your OP title.

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

OK, so I'll add my story from today. My phone suffers from the death grip reception drops, AND the proximity sensor issue. Both have been consistent and annoying. I was CONVINCED this was a hardware issue. I made an appointment at the Oak Brook IL Apple store today to get my phone replaced.

Standing in the store, I was stunned to NOT be able to replicate the issues. With the death grip, the signal would not drop. The proximity sensor also worked flawlessly, which has not worked at my house since day one. I was floored, and felt pretty foolish when in 30 minutes time, trying to replicate this issues I could not.

I'm fairly convinced the reception issue is dependent on the cell tower you're connected too, and how strong it is. It will be interesting to see if this issue can be resolved with software. I also have a theory that the proximity sensor is somehow related to the reception drop. The proximity sensor only turns off the screen when a call is connected. I think once the phone drop below certain signal strength, the phone thinks the call is no longer connected, and shuts off the sensor, turning the screen back on while in use. My flashes on on off as I use the phone. This is the only logical way I can explain not being to replicate the issues.

Once I got home, my issues were back. I also like in a bad 3G area, BUT, I have a Microcell in my house, so my signal should be very strong, yet I drop at home.

Seeing my phone work flawlessly at the Apple store did give me hope this may be software and the way the phone reads a cell towers signal. At least, I'm REALLY hoping so.

OH, and they wouldn't replace my phone, because we couldn't replicate the issues.

11. zoman504 macrumors regular

So because YOUR phone had no issues then his claims are bogus?...and we're the ones who think the world revolves around us, lmfao. Why the hell even bother coming in this thread if your phone is perfect?

12. rafter.shop macrumors newbie

I know of the letter posted this morning. Is there a separate memo? Can you link to it.

Thanks

13. zoman504 macrumors regular

They didn't say they'd replace them, they said you could return them.

14. WilliamG macrumors G3

No, silly! I'm refuting the claim that ALL iPhone 4s are faulty, since - you know - mine works. And yes, my original argument above stands. It's GETTING OLD. Apple has not had time to replace all the handsets with magical, revolutionary new ones.

ALL devices have the antenna "issue" (which I believe to be a definite oversight on Apple's part). But I don't know too many people (read: any people) with the issues that the OP has. Exchange magically works on his new iPhone? Has anyone ever complained about Exchange on the iPhone 4? Heck I haven't read about it.

So yes, AGAIN, my above argument stands. It's getting old.

15. WilliamG macrumors G3

No such thing. Like the "conversations with Steve Jobs via text and email" that simply never happened. This place really is turning into a cesspit of lies. Should call it "MacLies."

16. Nckcard macrumors regular

Oh no...your new iPhones work perfectly...

Seriously? Go lock yourself in a freezer.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I meant the letter.

Jeez, relax okay. Anyone that knows me here, knows I don’t lie. I used the word memo instead of letter. OMG!

I stand corrected then. Anyway, it would seem if they allow you to return them, they’d allow you to replace them.

When I had a wifi problem with my phone, I simply showed them the wifi issue and they replaced mine.

18. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

My phone was replaces due to extreme battery drain (100% to 50% while powred off for the night). The new phone has awesome battery life. BTW Apple's diagnostic software said my battery was good. That said, my phone stays in a case and I use bluetooth, so not sure about the death grip or proximity sensor.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

No its the fact that MOST people's phones are perfect. I don't know a single person with any issues with the iPhone 4, myself included.

You only see the bad stuff on the internet which when it comes to Apple products, I bet its a safe assumption that at least half of the people coming here with "problems" don't even own the iPhone they just want to hop on the apple hating bandwagon and frankly its getting old. (Not implying you or the OP are doing that, I'm just talking in general).

Every major company with every major product has the exact same issues. Its a side effect of mass production. If we all want cheaper products we have to live with it.

You don't see people getting this ridiculous with the XBox 360 RRoD, nobody seems to care they Dell sold faulty computers to many companies, nope, you only see idiots thinking Apple sold them faulty stuff on purpose. And as far as "Apple admitting it" sorry, if its a bad batch whats there to admit? Stuff like that happens with mass production, return it for a replacement and move on WHICH they are doing. People just want to cry here anymore.

20. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

Well one thing these posts do it separate the kids from the adults.

There are plenty of people who had issues...and for those who say Apple had no time for 'magical fixes' then again, kids, who have never heard the term running production change.

Problems are found all the time in manufacturing and you know what they do, keep on building them. The fix is a running change and they fix the problem and deal with it later.

That is how the world works, all the bad PR in the world costs less than Apple doing anything than a running change. I'd love to see the numbers it takes to launch a product like this and what the pay back time is.

This happens all the time in the auto industry. Payback on a new car model is about 24 months, meaning you don't break even for 24 months, its all front end heavy.

Again, for the kids, you have no idea the money involved if Apple were to say that launch day was being moved by even 1 day.

They found a flaw, fixed it with a running change, and will never admit to it.

Give it time, someone is going to dissect a bad iPhone 4 and a new iPhone 4 and find the fix that Apple will not admit to.

21. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Ive been thinking about this possibility all along, as lately we haven't seen as many threads reporting problems as we did in the first few days, so I thought it couldve been a defective first batch, I really wish Apple would just own up to this :(

22. rafter.shop macrumors newbie

No worries brother.

23. zoman504 macrumors regular

There have been a lot of complaints about Exchange. I believe Apple has acknowledged and it will be part of the update. That being said, I know others who have exchanged their phones multiple times with no luck. I just wish there was a definitive answer as to whether its a bad batch, or purely software issues, and no I don't buy Apples BS pr move.

24. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

So OP is there some type of coating on the outside of your antenna now?

you do not experience any data issues with 3g even while covering the antenna now?

25. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

Really....well Dell denied the capacitor problem day in and day out. They also denied the D600 PCMCIA slot issue, the flex chassis issue, etc. I worked on the hardware purchase team for a company that regularly bought 40,000 units from Dell a year and they sat and lied straight to my face.

Well what do you know when the contract came up and they wanted to sell us the new D620's and 630's we had the Come to Jesus meeting where they admitted their flaws and said they were sorry.

What there is to admit is there was a bad batch, not to blame it on everything else except the bad product.

They wasted my time, and my businesses time by not just saying we had a problem, give us a week and we'll fix it.

That simple. No ones business is perfect and I've had to do the same thing myself, customers always appreciate it rather than making up something or placing the blame elsewhere.