I have no more home button problems anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

Ever since i upgraded to 4.2.1 , now im on 4.3.1

But it was so bad that i almost went to get a new iphone 4

Some times when i pressed the home button it would not respond

There was like a 50 page thread on here about it

I guess it really was a software issue

Did the firmware upgrades fix the home button problem for anybody else

2. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

The way I see it the home button either registers a press or it doesn't. Being electro mechanical it can be intermittent.

I no longer have the problem- my phone was stolen

Now I have a new one which works just fine :)

3. xMClass macrumors 6502

I'm running 4.3.1 and still have the issue every now and then.

4. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Before it was stolen mine did it with each upgrade, its the only iPhone Ive had that problem with. Then my brother had the same problem on his. Seems as though quality is slipping on new products.

The influence of a throw away society.

6. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'm running the new one and my home button is worse than ever. I still think it's hardware sadly :(.

I will also note that it comes and goes in waves. Sometimes it seems really bad, and then it goes away and acts fine for a while so it's not very consistent.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

8. drummr macrumors regular

Mine still is unreliable on 4.3.1, I think its a hardware issue. My friends iPod Touch 4g has a very satisfactory home button. When you click it you feel a nice click and it works every time, whereas on the iPhone 4 it's very mushy. Seems quality slipped on the buttons on the iPhone 4.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

There never was a "home button problem" just like there never was a "4.3.1 drains my battery faster problem" it all comes down to the user and his/her mental state.

It's all psychological.

10. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

ya...ok...

Keep telling yourself that:rolleyes:

11. drummr macrumors regular

Exactly, beacause I can click my home button 10 times exactly the same and get everything from nothing to the multitasking bar. Totally psychological.

</sarcasm>

12. Pared macrumors 65816

Right. :rolleyes:

13. biohead macrumors 6502

Why put up with a phone that doesn't know whether it wants one click or five?

Booked appointment at Genius bar, took almost no explanation to the genius and he was already reaching for a replacement box. He didn't even check the water indicators. All iPhone 4's should still be under warranty - it's almost a no-brainer to get it replaced.

It may be a refurb, but with a serial starting 61111 (11th week of 2011) its more likely to be a new unit.... and the home button genuinely feels different to the old one. My old one didn't have a distinctive click - the new one does.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're on stock 4.3.1 or JB again?

15. newskin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

In the other post, i stated that turning off multitasking by plist editing did the trick for me. Home button was registering every clicks just fine. I waited to update to 4.3.1 to see if possibly mine was a software issue. Well, it's all hardware. hoping replacement has less issues. Anyone else get a replacement that was worse than the one it was replacing!?

16. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

What, so when I click my home button to turn on my phone and do it several times and the phone doesn't respond making me wonder if it crashed only to try the power button and then it turns on (but still won't respond to the home button), it's all in my head?

Or when I click it twice only to have it go to the first screen rather than pull up the multi task bar (or if I try again it goes to search rather than multi task bar), that is in my head.

Or I try to press it to go back to the "Desktop" from an application and it does nothing that's in my head? And then sometimes if I keep trying it eventually pulls up the multi tasking screen? Or if I was trying to get the multi tasking screen it ends up quitting me out of the program instead?

Seriously?

I could maybe see you being skeptical about some of the latter stuff I typed (but I know I pressed the button the right amount of times for what I wanted), but it not turning the iphone on at all when you click it or it not quitting out of the program or doing anything is not something that can be attested to people not "clicking it right" (like I could see the arguement that maybe I clicked too quickly or too slowly but when it's not even responding to any clicks, like it's not even doing anything at all when you click the button, then there is no mistaking that. And sorry, I'm not so stupid I don't know when I clicked a button).

18. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Mine started doing it at 4.3 update and isn't any better after 4.3.1. It's not a major issue but can be annoying. I might try a full restore later this week and see if it helps.

You can say it's a hardware problem but I find it interesting that it just now started with an iOS update.

19. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

It may have for you, but I bought mine on release day and never upgraded the OS.

After several months the button slowly got worse. It was at that point it became obvious that mine was the button since it did the same thing with every iOS update I did thereafter.

For some odd reason many users have trouble accepting that the button could fail.

20. abc123 macrumors 6502

I had the home button problem. It got really bad to the point of having to press it 10+ times before it registered sometimes. It wasn't even immediately after a software update that mine started to work again but now it works the first time every time. Strange!

21. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

Im jailbroken

Always been

So to those that say its a hardware issue how do you explain my home button problem going away after a software upgrade?

Btw when ever i upgrade i always do restore as new , never from backup

22. chrisiscrisis macrumors newbie

home button issue

I've been having this problem with my iphone 4. About a few months after I got it I found that I had to push the home button harder than usual. I've had the problem since January I believe. It's made it pretty hard to multitask and get to my home screen when I need to do so efficiently.

This seems like a problem amongst some of you. My best notion is that it's a hardware issue but some of you are saying the latest firmware update fixed it. Not the case on my end.

23. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Wait, this problems normal? I was sure it was my phone - It drives me insane. If I press down harder it will always function correctly though so that has me inclined to believe it's my actual phone. Anyone know how difficult it is to get it replaced for this problem?

24. chrisiscrisis macrumors newbie

I've heard of people with the same problem and getting replacements for a new phone. You just have to bring it over to the apple store and complain enough about it.

25. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I dunno. I never had home button problems, until a few months ago. I've been on 4.01 forever.