I have one question for you iOS 6 guys.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iregret, Jun 18, 2012.

1. iregret macrumors 6502

I was hoping someone could help me out. One of my pet peeves, and the primary reason I jailbreak, is for SBsettings. Specifically, brightness adjustment. On my iPad, I can adjust the brightness and volume by sliding to the left in the task bar. When I slide to the left twice on my iPhone I get a volume bar, which I think is 100% pointless. I mean the volume buttons are on the side of the phone, wtf?

Anyway, could someone kindly tell me if there's an option to choose what that slider does, or if it adjusts brightness instead of volume? I really hope it does.

(What better place to put an Apple version of SBsettings?)

Thanks so much!

Justin

2. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

Still volume control and no option to change it that I could find.

3. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks buddy.

Dammit. LOL. I was really hoping...

4. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Agreed, on the iPhone they should at least change that slider to brightness. Also, they could add enable/disable bluetooth and airplane mode. Ideally, all this stuff should also be available via siri. Surely it cant be hard to implement "siri enable bluetooth" or "siri set brightness to 50%". i guarantee this stuff would take a few hours to code tops.

5. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Headlining features of iOS 7 ;) :D

6. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

Now that beta 2 is out could someone please check for me?

7. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Sorry dude. Don't see it changing. Adjusting brightness is my number one reason for ever going into settings. I do it at least twice daily :(

8. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

I just don't see the logic behind having a volume slider when you swipe left twice. It seems like the perfect place for a brightness adjustment. Could someone explain the apple logic for me?

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Maybe because the average user will adjust the iPhone volume more than the brightness?? Plus, the reason it is a double right swipe away on the multitasking bar is the same reason we have multi touch gestures on the iPad - so the users can use software based controls rather than the physical ones (if they so choose). Please add swipe up to multi task Apple!!

Personally, I never adjust my iPhone brightness. It stays at 40% brightness with auto brightness turned on to handle requirements when the phone thinks it is needed. I do see how adding another swipe right past the volume controls and putting a brightness level control could be useful for others though. Perhaps they will add it in the future, who knows!

10. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

But as the poster said, there are volume buttons on the iPhone. I've never used the volume slider hidden away in the multitasking tray.

11. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

True, but there is the home button on the iPad too. One could use that to return to home screen instead of software based gestures if they wanted. It's just an alternative choice. I do think the user should have this choice regarding brightness on the iPhone too.

12. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Physical buttons break..or stop working...software, in this case, is probably more reliable.

My on/off button stopped working (for the most part...at least without pressing with a 100 lb. force) months ago. Home button is spotty at best as well.

Unfortunately, there isn't much I can do on my iPhone 4 from a software standpoint, but I can at least change the volume if those buttons stopped working effectively.

The physical button free world is upon us....

13. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

My phone can do this, although it's jailbroken. Apparently Siri has the capaility, apple just has it turned off for some strange reason. I installed a package and I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that they just enabled the capabilities. I don't think they coded anything into siri. This is the same thing that allows me launch apps(which is the only? thing they're adding in iOS6), check battery level, etc. It's much better while driving to say "Set my brightness to 100% if I had it set low for whatever reason than to fumble around in settings.

14. Pared macrumors 65816

This is contradictory - if the user had the option for volume or brightness, it wouldn't matter.

15. mjaco002 macrumors member

Quick Launch App

There is an app called Quick Launch which can provide you this function. Search iTunes for it.

16. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Sent this idea about the brightness setting instead of the volume slider to the Apple Feedback. :)

17. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

True...but there is an auto brightness setting and as stated previously, I'm sure the volume buttons are there because they are needed. Like most, I doubt the brightness slider is ever used if not just on the day of purchase.

18. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

I have auto brightness on and I adjust my brightness about a dozen times a day. Auto brightness doesn't respond fast enough or make a big enough difference.

I still haven't heard a good reason for the volume slider in the task bar. Especially since the volume is present anytime you see a video or anything.

19. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

A dozen times! Where do you hang out? In a cave with a spot of sunlight that moves around it throughout the day? Lol
    if you are looking for a good reason, I suggest you contact Apple and ask them, as it's obvious nobody here will satisfy your curiosity. Don't go expecting much of an answer from them either. IT JUST IS....

20. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

Let's just say I use my iPhone a lot. I sleep with it on my chest. I work a rotating shift of days and nights. I drive a forklift indoors and outdoors all day long. Inside the phone is blinding, outside it's dim.

It's such a simple tweak that's always been a pet peeve of mine. I usually keep my phone at around 65% brightness. When in bed it has to be turned down all the way otherwise it's blinding.

It's not nearly as much of an issue on the iPad because it's so easily adjusted. Also, I typically don't use the iPad in bed. The larger display is too bright.

21. pettit03 macrumors newbie

Finally someone agrees with me on this!!!! I hope they change this! I use brightness settings every morning and night and this would be a huge help

22. timotay89 macrumors regular

I use the volume slider and the volume buttons

I like the idea of an additional slider for brightness, but I do use the slider for volume control. If I'm not in an app, the volume buttons on the side control the ring volume and the slider controls the general volume (music, etc).

I still would like a brightness bar though, but not in place of the volume slider, in addition to it.

23. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe if you slide left twice there could be two bars on top of each other. Epically since there will be all that extra real estate with the larger display of the next iPhone. LOL. :D

24. faroZ06 macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Home button + volume buttons = brightness adjustment? That would be good. Or just make it like SBSettings so you can also turn wifi and such on/off easily.

25. iregret thread starter macrumors 6502

Beta 3, same question.

Did my suggestion make it through to apple?