I have swine flu!!! D: A few things I have been wondering.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by killswitch1698, Nov 4, 2009.

1. killswitch1698 macrumors regular

Hey all.

Its 5:00pm and i just got my symtoms 3 hours ago.
    I have this terrible fever, I have a headache and im so weak I can barely type.

But, besides that, I am just asking for some tips about how to reduce my fever and possibly, reduce the weakness.

Also im just wondering is it dangerous to bundle up with blankets if you know you have a fever? Im just worried if the blankets will retain too much heat, and will end up increasing my temp.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
    Swine flu ****ing sucks!! >_<

2. geekgirl macrumors regular

Take tylenol or ibuprofen for the fever and body aches. Keep hydrated, and rest! You can bundle up when you have the chills, and remove blankets when you are too hot. I found that a nice bath really helped with the body aches when I last had the flu (10 years ago!). Chicken soup really does help sooth the throat and make you feel a bit better.

I'm sorry you got this. My son had it a couple of weeks ago, and is still coughing a bit. Just take care of yourself, and make sure that if you get worse after having felt a bit better, get to the doctor right away, as you may have a secondary infection. That's what's been putting people into the hospital.

Good luck, and get some rest!

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You certainly do start some of the most eclectic threads on MacRumors.

How about seeing a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Really get to the doctor... this could be just the flu not the swine flu...

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They are differentiating anymore to my knowledge anyways since the treatment is the same. The only cases that will be confirmed are the ones who end up in the hospital.

6. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I've had swine flu and heres some tips on getting along with it.

-Do not take the tammiflu unless you have any conditions that might make the flu much worse, such as asthma or heart problems. I had mine sent to me, but decided not to take it as the symptoms are awful.
    -Do wrap up in blankets. its better for you to wrap up and keep super warm than try to cool yourself down. It fights it better.
    -Keep fluids up, drink loads of water.
    -Chicken soup really does work. It has liquids, salts, nutrients and is hot. All of this helps to combat it.
    -Use tissues and immediately bin them when used, rather than a hankerchief. This prevents spreading it to others.
    -Stay in bed and watch tv, maybe sleep if you need, just let your body relax and get on with fighting it.
    -To try and lower the fever for night, take some paracetomol to help you sleep.

This is how i got through it, all generally told to me over the phone by a doctor. (I don't kno bout where you live, but in uk we're not allowed into medical surgeries with flu like symptoms at the moment to prevent spreading what could be swine flu and we were given an emergency hotline to call for a diagnosis and advice). It took me a week to shake it off, and was really just like a really really bad flu. It certainly isn't life threatening tho if your the average fit and healthy person.
    Plus, one thing i should point out is to watch for signs of a chest infections or a different illness afterwards, thats the dangerous bit. It can eventually lead to pneumonia if you you do get a chest infection and don't do anything about it.

hope all this helps, and for the record, i'm not in a medical profession or anything, this is just what i learned from the doctors when i had swine flu myself. get well soon :)

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

8. Nadav macrumors regular

I was diagnosed with it yesterday also, I'm having a great time... I currently have a fever of 101.4, and a terrible headache, but can't fall asleep because I have to make up school work (I can't return until Monday). I've never had the flu before, and was scheduled to get the vaccine tomorrow... Bad timing I guess.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

First off get it tested to make sure it is the swine flu. To many people buy into the media hype on it and are screaming when they have the common flu (or even common cold) is the swine flu.

Chances are really good that you just have the common flu. Do not buy the media hype and scream that you have it until you get tested. Until then you just have the common flu as far as I am conserned and I will treat you like a idoit who beleives everything the tv says is true

10. djellison macrumors 68020

You have symptoms that may or may not be symptomatic of a potentially deadly strain of the influenza virus

Do you

a) Seek urgent medical advice

b) Post on a Mac discussion forum.

I don't wish to seem rude, and I wish you a rapid recovery to full health....but

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?

11. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Dude, bugger the school work - your health is more important. Get some rest. I no for me my health and family come before anything.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ah, a mother's advice. OP, I hope you still have a mother. Ask her for advice. But then, many mothers are also, or once were, wives. Could be a tale...

Yes, on the first point, probably not on the second one. News reports here say they are seeing only H1N1 cases and no seasonal flu cases.

Well, when the TV news interviews doctors and the head of the local health department, I tend to believe the experts. If it's just a newsperson, it might be hyped. Around here, chances are almost nil that someone has seasonal flu.

14. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Starve a cold, feed a fever.

Drink plenty of liquids.

Don't put that in your mouth, you don't know where it's been

Bundle up, I don't care that your friends don't wear their coats, if they jumped off a bridge would you?

That's as much mom as I can remember.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Again even with doctors interviewing the media is going to put question in a why to up the hype. You have to be real careful of what you take from the news. The media no longer reports the entire truth. They just want the ratings so they will leave out key parts.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

MacRumors is not a good source for medical advice.
    Your doctor is probably not a good source for computer advice.

Repeat 5 times and then do the right thing!

17. direzze macrumors member

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

19. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I agree, there are several types of the crud floating around this year. I have had coworkers laid out for over a week (non-swine flu).

Pound the fluids, eat and sleep........

20. phas3 macrumors 65816

sorry to hear that, I hope you get better and become as healthy as you were before!

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I hope I get h1n1 I could use an excuse to take a week off and do nothing at all.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Same. It's become such a buzz word.

23. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

There would be less legal ramifications with h1n1, than in stabbing yourself to get out of work

24. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's quite true. However, the specific issue I was addressing is not hype. It's just information, not advice, coming from the head of the Health Department. That's reliable.