I heard Apple will be doing random checks?....

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bludragon06, Nov 5, 2011.

1. bludragon06 macrumors regular

(I don't know how accurate this is but....) A friend of mine told me that Apple is gonna start doing random checks for jailbroken iOS devices. He said that if you are found with a jailbroken device that apple will cut you from itunes (to the store and such and wipe all the music you have). I don't see how this is even legal if it is true. I mean wiping your music part. I mean apple can do what they want with itunes i guess but.... what do you guys and gals think about this? I am jailbroken on iOS 5 and wonder if I should un-jailbreak. I need itunes and my music!

(i did a search and came up with nothing so....):cool::eek:

2. TC25 macrumors 68020

This should have been your first hint your friend was full of it.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they will show up at your house and work and will demand to inspect your device.
    If cydia is found then your iphone will be smashed in pieces and will be replaced with an android.
    Have a nice day:D

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I heard it was a BlackBerry.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Even worst, they're really trying to inflict pain I see:D

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The Doorbell Just Rang

.....I'm going to hide under the bed:D

7. bludragon06 thread starter macrumors regular

Actually when they do the random search its when you sync. Thats what he said.

And as far as the search I searched here to see if I could find anything on it before I posted here! I didn't google it!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your friend is either misinformed or full of BS bro.
    Dont believe that nonsense.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Um, right. Going to do "random checks. Yup, no doubt. Gee, I'm so lucky my phone is not JB - I sure wouldn't want them to show up where I work and bust me. Yup, no doubt about it.

Now, about you friend...:rolleyes:

10. TC25, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

TC25 macrumors 68020

OP - don't be so gullible. What your friend told you is ludicrous on it's face and if you'd stop and think about it you'd realize that. Apple would be stealing what you bought. :rolleyes:

11. bludragon06 thread starter macrumors regular

The unfortunate part about asking a question here is that it seems people, like the above posters, come up with sarcastic remarks when all I wanted to know is if what I heard was true. My friend and I are the same person? Huh? That didn't even make sense! This is why a lot of people don't join these kinds of forums. People have to jump on here and sarcastically down talk someone with a real question. Sooooo RUDE i tell ya!

12. TC25 macrumors 68020

You got your answer in the second post.

13. Jason black macrumors regular

Dude, did you read what you wrote? Lol. It's not their fault. How can you possibly believe that? Come on now...

14. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It is entirely possible that Apple will exercise it's long held right to block access to iTunes and iCloud for modified devices. Should they do so, I don't see them erasing any content, just blocking access to the modified device. It would not surprise me at all to see this.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

They won't block people from spending money on a cloud or iTunes the only thing they would do is flag the one and it loses it's warranty but I doubt they even do that

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly, JB is not illegal so any iphone owner has the right to JB their own iphone if they want to.
    Blocking acess to itunes and to their purchased content will only leave a huge window for lawsuits and people wanting their money back for apps, music, videos,ringtones, ibooks and everything else that they purchased on itunes and can no longer use.
    Poor OP posts a thread like this and then wonders why he gets the responses that he did.
    Lets all give him a group hug:D

17. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I really can't see them doing this!

1) JB'ing is LEGAL!!!!!!!!!
    2) Apple would LOSE money on that person purchasing content!!!
    3) That would not stop people from jail breaking... it would just drive them to android, or they'd just connect to iTunes while 'offline' only and end up downloading MP3's by Torrents etc, and then adding them that way... and as for apps, that would just drive people to installous...

Apple would NOT do this to themselves! And besides, iTunes is not just for iPhones! I can buy music on it for my computer too (MAC or PC)... and then what's to stop me from syncing that to my iPhone? or my iPad! (And I don't have to be connected to the net for that either so how would they ever know?)

This 'friend' is just trying to scare you into not Jailbreaking...

18. iNipponRyan97 macrumors newbie

iNipponRyan97

That is impossible. Apple cannot do random checks on your syncs, as they may not be allowed to access that. iTunes Sync cannot find out if Cydia is installed, as Cydia is not logged completely besides a logo with the title "Cydia" under it on your apps preview. Apple has no rights to check what you sync, and even if they did, they wouldn't be able to find Cydia on there as it's almost impossible. I think your friend is filled with BS, or is just mentally incapable of owning an iDevice. If it's not on Google or this forum, it's not real. Apple has to put this in its TOS (Terms of Service). The only time they check is at the Genius Bars at the Apple Stores. The employees will ask you to unlock your device and will check to see if Cydia or any of its packages are installed. That is all. Please tell your friend that he shouldn't own an iDevice, and don't worry about syncing.

EDIT: And like the guy above me said. Jailbreaking is legal and is registered and protected by the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). If Apple does try to ever do this, they can expect legal trouble that could affect them badly, as lawyers cannot do anything about it.

19. bludragon06 thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate the group hug! Thanks.

Now on to the question. I thought it was asinine that he suggested this just because it didn't even sound right. I figured that erasing my music content would be illegal for apple to do but to block me from itunes I thought was within apples power. That is why I posed the question here. I just want to make sure I can still update and JB as time goes on. One thing that should have given this a bad taste is the fact he is a droid lover. He has been trying to get me to convert over the past few years. Not gonna happen. Anyways, I appreciate who responded with serious comments. Have a great night all!

20. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

We log the UDID of every device running our apps that talks to our servers, and log whether or not that device is jail broken or not.

What makes any of you think Apple is not capable of doing the same thing and deciding on whether your modified device should be allowed to access their server based systems?

It's simply a matter of how much they care, now that Jobs is gone. He cared deeply about what he saw as the security holes that let devices be jail broken. Did that desire to plug all the holes carry over to Cook or not? Does the desire to keep the ecosystem clean and controlled? We shall see.

21. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yeah, I bet your bud just has iPhone envy, and if yours is jb he has zero case for Android OS.;):p

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You are so close to the facts those who have a JB iPhone (I do) should take this eventuality seriously. It fits Apples M.O. perfectly.

The river of denial runs deep around here.

Watch the reactions now.. :)

23. labman macrumors 604

labman

your buddy isn't thewitt by chance? I know I'm not worried. I see the cat and mouse game between Apple and Jailbreaking community continuing just the way it is. Personally I'm more worried about Jailbreak Devs getting sick of all the BS then I am Apple.

24. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I could care less if iTunes or AppStore is on my iPhone. Actually never open them since I jb my iPhone 4 a year ago. I can buy games, songs in iTunes on my 'puter and sync them to phone whenever I want. Apple will not do this. They like to make money hand over fist.;)

25. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

There are three things at play here.

Apple sees the holes that allow jail breaking as security breaches. They WILL plug them. It's just a matter of when. Now that delta OTA updates are available, it's faster and easier to do so. You can say you don't need Apple, but you will simply die quietly when you can no longer update your device or connect to iCloud.

The developer community has been screaming forever about pirated software, and since all of the pirates jail break to enable this illegal activity, Apple is under constant pressure to plug this hole. They have not been overly helpful in the past, however they acknowledge it's a growing problem and have given us indications they will be more attentive in the future.

With syndicated content providers now demanding that their content be blocked on jail broken devices, this pressure continues to mount against Apple.

As a developer, I need a way to ensure I meet the contractual obligations of my client. That means I have to block access to modified devices whenever I deal with syndicated content. If Apple decides to include any applications on the device that stream syndicated content, they will be obligated to block this access as well... Do you see that in Apples future? Because I certainly do. It's a huge money maker and Apple would be foolish to let it slip by with only third party options available.

The Amazon Fire will include OS level lockouts that mean rooted devices will not function, and software installed outside the Amazon Fire App Store will lock up the device. They are doing this to protect the content providers. It's only a matter of time before Apple follows suit.