I hope not all Mac users are like this.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Knersis, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Knersis macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have recently purchased a Mac, always used Windows since version 3.0 and I will always use Windows in whatever form it comes out in. I'm a .net developer, have been since the first version, used to develop in VB and C++.

Now we have another Mac user in my office, whenever I ask this person something about how to do something on the Mac I always get, Look on Google. Oh WOW, I haven't thought of that yet, all I would like is another idea on something. Personally I hope the other people out there don't think they're better than anyone else.

Frankly I'm not in mood to struggle to get assitance on getting something to work. I'm not used to the Unix/Linux environment, I'd like to learn, but if I get these attitudes from the rest of the community. Why bother.

Vista runs like a charm on my MacBook. :cool:

Anyone else had issues with people, or is this a isolated case and I'm just unfortunate to be here :D

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well these forums are a wealth of knowledge and wed be glad to help with any questions you may have

with that said, searching these forums is a great resource. use this initially as alot of questions have been posed by newcomers and experienced users alike.

http://mroogle.*************/

that link pretty much is google search of macrumors alone and is invaluable to me imo

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, my previous experiences tell me that there are a lot out there that think they are the best when they own a Mac. It's a safe bet to say that most of us on here aren't like that. Most of us are well educated when it comes to computers and made a choice to go with OS X because of the platform and not because so-and-so on TV had one. Those who seem snobby and refuse to help fellow Mac users are most likely the people who bought the Apple product because it's the "hip" and "trendy" thing to do.

Also, +1 to what Dukebound85 said. We're always glad to help a fellow Mac user.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's an old saying, "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime." While your co-worker may have been rude in their attitude, the idea of teaching someone to be able to find their own answers is a good one. If you look to Google or MRoogle (for searching this forum), you'll find the answers to most questions that come up, without depending on anyone. That makes you a smarter, more efficient, more independent user. There's nothing wrong with that!

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Valid questions always get good responses on MacRumors… your co-worker might just be an isolated case.

But it really would be unfair of you to come here with such a preconceived idea based on your single experience.

PS. Just don't ask about the iPhone Nanos! :eek:

And "some" people can be a bit errrm sensitive to comments like that as well. ;)

6. Knersis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not holding it against anyone the responses I get from the office, its just normally a lot easier to get someone to show you what to do.

Trust me, i know how to use google, being a developer, its new to me how to google something.

If I was to show you how to change a carb on car, or tell you to read how to do it, which would you prefer.

But yes, I'll post here for sure. :D

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

http://www.ehow.com/how_2104624_replace-carburetor.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g60cWDzgMvo
    Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

8. Knersis thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol

:d

Its never that easy to replace it, especially after you wonder what all the extra bits are doing on the garage floor.

9. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Maybe your co worker just cant be bothered,and its more his personality then anything....

This place is a great resource for all kinds of help.

10. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

You always get a good answer from people on macrumors, as long as its not the first result on google.

letmegooglethatforyou.com :p

still i don't think all macusers are like that,

11. kolax macrumors G3

How does that define the Mac community if some guy in your office can't be arsed telling you how to do something? :eek:

Most Mac users are passionate and get excited when they see other folks with a Mac.

12. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Wait for your co-worker to ask you something. Then tell him to kiss your ass. He sounds like a real team player.

13. iAthena macrumors regular

That's the first thing I thought when I read the start of the thread.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

When I 1st came to Mac I had questions and sometimes when you are new to Mac you don't even know what to search because you don't know what it's called (I think I worded that right).
    I learned a lot for this site and a few Mac friends I know. I found that most Mac users are happy to help for 1 reason or another. Don't let the bad "Apples" get to you.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm always happy to personally demonstrate how to do something on a Mac if someone at work or a friend asks me for help. But when you hang around here long enough you get the same questions being asked again and again, and if the answer is complicated it's easier to post a google search.

For instance, recently people have asked how to replace an iMac hard drive, or how to install Leopard from an image in an external drive. Googling for these gets instructions more detailed than we can provide here with the results right there on top. In these cases, I've been guilty of telling the poster to google it since I can see the results right there on the page and I wonder if the questioner has even bothered to look it up.

But if someone asks why they can't tab to drop down lists in Safari, I don't mind replying with the simple steps to enable this.

17. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Welcome to the world of apple, and to the macrumors community!

As you have guessed from the above replies, most people here would be glad to help, but you may not get good responses if it is a simple topic that is re-posted several times a month.

Most small problems on a mac are easily fixed via quick google search, and some messing around. Others require the Mroogle search if it's something you want to specifically find in the macrumors forums.

For those other tasks that seem complicated, or online instructions aren't too clear, or maybe you just want some people's opinions on it -- feel free to post.

Seeing as you're new to mac -- Click the link in my signature below, it may prove invaluable to you in the future.

18. Horst Guest

People's character defined by an Operating system ?
    You learn something new every day...

That said, Windows users do have bad breath and are lousy kissers, no offence ;).

19. kolax macrumors G3

Back when Apple was "Think Different" - the Mac users were that stereotype. People who bought a Mac instead of an IBM machine, shared something in common other than just owning a Mac.

Course now, Apple is everywhere that the users aren't the actual stereotype much now.

20. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Easier for YOU, not easier for him.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's ridiculous! (Although my breath and love life have dramatically improved since I got my first MacBook Pro.... just a strange coincidence.... or is it?) :D

22. Knersis thread starter macrumors newbie

Well guys thanks for the helpful feedback, I'm not to sure about the Windows love life ideas, sounds like I might need to do something about that :rolleyes:.

But as for the helpful comments on where to get help I'm sure I'll get all the help I need on the net and here.

So far it's been going well, you guys might have another convert anyway, my wife now wants an iMac. Thanks a million, now I need to fork out more money.

I knew I should not have taken her to the Mac store. :p

Now when I get her a Mac I'm really going to need all the help I can get.

And she's going to be using Photo Shop, I think I'm going to suffer with sleepless nights.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wait for the update and get that, or wait for the update and buy the current model from the Clearance part of the Online Apple Store for cheaper!

And if she uses Photoshop on a PC, the transition is very smooth.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Switch 101 a tutorial on the process of migrating to a Mac
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications in this thread, as well as these sites: here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!