I iSight removable in Unibody MacBook Pros?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michaelnbg, Jan 15, 2009.

1. michaelnbg macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I am consulting customers with a very strict "no camera" policy and I want to upgrade my 3 years old MacBook Pro to the new Unibody one. However I haven't found any hints or tutorials on how to remove the embedded iSight camera. The ifixit tutorial on the new MBP doesn't show a teardown of the display.

So my question is: can the isight be removed or not? It was possible with all of the "non Unibody" models.

Cheers,
    Mike

2. kolax macrumors G3

It'll be a lot lot harder than the previous generations anyway. You'd have to be careful the glass front doesn't fall out if you do manage to get the back off.

3. DeLoMan macrumors regular

Just stick a piece of black electrical tape over the camera lens. :D

4. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

How about whiteout over the lens? You could possibly remove the white out later if you desire (but the picture will probably suck)

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could probably talk to an Apple business consultant about that and see if they can provide you with a modified solution.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Hey, I'm just curious as to their reason(s) for wanting the internal camera to be removed.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not sure if it still applies, but here's something from Oct '07 mac.forums:

Attached Files:

9. GregE macrumors 6502

What do they do about your cell phone? Seems like every cell phone has a camera in it these days.

Maybe you will have to use your old MBP for these customers.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

There are plenty of places that don't allow cameras to be brought inside. My company only recently allowed cell phones with cameras, but we're basically on the honor policy not to use that feature. Of course more restricted areas disallow phones entirely, so that's not an issue.

11. michaelnbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the iresq link. They told me that the iSight is not removable in the new MB (Pro) line.

Thank you Apple, for forcing professionals working in security sensitive areas into crappy Dell / Lenovo laptops. :mad:

12. kolax macrumors G3

Don't think Apple ever catered that area. But you could always email Steve Jobs (aka whoever that Mail alias) ;)

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Um, your situation is very unique so you can't expect Apple to accommodate you. Also people here are mentioning putting a piece of electrical tape over the lens which makes more sense than possibly damaging your computer by trying to take apart the screen but you seem to be ignoring that help.

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you could be a older model refurb.

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

If you want, you could probably open it up and disconnect the appropriate cable.

16. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you mean tim cook ? ;)

17. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

18. kolax macrumors G3

Haha, well, he might slip up one of these days - replying to an email and putting "Regards, Tim" instead of Steve!

19. akbc macrumors 6502

Well, I took my MBPro to a repair shop couple of days ago for my Display replacement.
    After I got it back home, my display was functioning perfectly except for iSight and AirPort card (They're both behind the screen). I took it back to the shop, and they said they forgot to plug in some cables.

I'm sure if you took it to a local Service Provider (not Apple store) and ask them nicely, they might just disconnect it for you?

You can see that they're just non-existent when you start up Photobooth or System profiler...

20. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yeah, like putting a piece of tape over a functioning camera is going to satisfy any kind of security requirement. The hard-wired removal is the best option, whether done by Apple or a local shop. The important thing is to be able to demonstrate that it's completely non-functional.

21. michaelnbg thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the situation is sort of unique but I know many companies that don't allow cameras at their sites.

However the rule is "no camera" that does not include a taped lens, a destroyed lens or a disconnected camera.

edit: I think I'll check out a refurbished one... but dammn I wanted that new 17'' with 8 GB RAM.

22. dutchrazor macrumors newbie

I guess if you're really up to it you could always drill a hole through the camera, then fill it up with something black, if you make it right you'll barely notice it :)

23. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Whatever. His situation is not unique.
    I work at a large company (150k+ employees globally) and no cameras are allowed. No cell phone cameras, no laptop cameras, etc. Visitor laptops have their ports secured so they can't be used.

I can assure you that there are many 1000s of people working in areas that do not allow cameras. It is disappointing that Apple doesn't sell notebooks without a camera.

24. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

this thread is starting to make me sad with all the drilling and taking apart of macbooks :(

25. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Gotta agree with everyone else that his situation is very certainly not unique. The reason it hasn't been a huge issue in the past is the non-presence of Macs in enterprise in the past. With growing adoption, more people are considering them, but the iSight camera is very certainly gonna be a deal killer.

My current company is a huge multinational with almost 150K employees and we have zero Macs outside marketing, all of which I can only assume are Power Macs and Mac Pros. Almost all of our work is done via Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, and web-based apps, so our adoption of Macs certainly isn't due to software. The security issues due to a built-in camera, the lack of a hot-swappable dock, the inability for any of the MacBooks to open 180 degrees are.

It's not a huge problem so long as Apple's not serious about Mac becoming a real competitor to Windows in enterprise. If it is, it's gotta make some major compromises for security, functionality and usability.