I just bought a Unibody Macbook for $700!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by World Exclusive, May 16, 2009.

1. World Exclusive macrumors newbie

I just bought a unibody macbook today for $700 off Craigslist.:D

This is my first Mac product of any kind and I'm glad I was able to get one for an awesome deal.

I'm a hardcore PC fan and I love to game, but after using this Macbook for about 2hrs now, I've never felt a computer of so much quality.

This computer is a total joy, it's night and day compared to PC. The main reason I got it was because I'm getting into graphic design.

I've been surfing this forum since September of last year, laughing at some of the posts of Mac fanboys. Some of the comments about PC's are still ridiculous but I'm truly a believer now.

Since I love to game, I'll just buy a PS3 and Xbox 360. They have all the games anyways.:p

I give my uMB two thumbs up.:cool:

I will become a regular here now for news, support and tips.

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...sounds like a steal of a deal, glad you actually received it...

4. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Wow man, congrats on the deal.

Welcome to the brighter side of computing. haha. Enjoy your new Mac.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

7. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

so you have seen it with your own eyes? Like it is in your house? You have it? It is in YOUR possession?

cause if i saw it for 700 on craigs i would have flagged that crap.

congrats man. (if you have it) thats one hell of a stealllll

8. Germwise macrumors regular

I don't understand why people seem to think macs hold their value so much!?!

Any other electronic, after its opened even if new is 75%. If used for a few months 65% Even 50% or less is not unheard of.

I think a 2.0 unibody which can be purchased new (refurbished) with a 1 year warranty for 1.1k means a used one with no warranty should be worth 800

especially since older ones have the older screen and particularly since apple will most likely give minor updates to them in 3 weeks!

And don't get me started on people selling macs with ripped off software or hackingtoshes that are somehow worth more than an equivalent. If you are going to steal software at least keep it to yourself! ;)

9. World Exclusive thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a local seller with phone number and address in the ad. Went to the persons house, walked inside, saw pictures of them, tag number, lol.

But he was a student who received it through his school. He had it listed for $900 but I said $700 in ten minutes and he went for it.

The funny part is that I just left my local Apple store 30mins before I saw the ad. Good thing I didn't have an impulse buy!

Thanks a lot for the welcome.

By the way....

I'm typing this on my Macbook!!!

10. Germwise macrumors regular

good for you. Cash is king. Especially in these times

11. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Huh, I would check to see if stolen... That would be my one and only worry here.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Past history. Macs, in years gone by, have retained a higher percentage of their original (higher) value than PCs. I think this is becoming less true over the last couple of years perhaps due to the switch to Intel.

13. World Exclusive thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that's why I made the offer.

As far as the stolen part....

He didn't even clear the HDD. All of this personal, business, and school info is still on it. I will clear it after I back up the HDD.

14. Germwise macrumors regular

If you buy a macbook off of somebody can you add applecare to it if you aren't the original owner? do you need the receipt?

15. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Again, just another reason to suspect this was stolen. I am not saying it is, just telling you to watch out...

16. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...well at least you have the address of the place you went to... try calling apple and purchase applecare to rego it with and see what happens...if that goes thru you got a deal, otherwise...

18. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

If you take a look at eBay, B&W and outrigger (what was the outrigger for) G3s are going for $50-$100! And high-end G4s for $600-$800.

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Laptops lose their value far quicker than desktops. Core Duo MacBooks go for $500.

20. techie4life macrumors 6502

Have you checked all of the info for the computer such as the computer's physical name, user accounts, etc...? What about the serial number? If he didn't have enough sense to clear the hard drive, chances are he didn't change any settings or attributes. Just a thought to make sure you didn't buy a stolen computer...

21. Germwise macrumors regular

btw you inspired me. I went on craigslist and found mb aluminums and made 700$ offers.

So far the response is not good :p

guess it works much better in person, cash in hand.

Here is one of the responses

"You are insane. Have a good day.
    Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry"

22. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

The seller was a student who got it thru his school, so he probably only got it for 900-1000, didn't like it, and made a profit since his parents probably bought it to begin with.

23. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

hahahaha love the sellers response. i give those out all the time to crazy people dropping crazy low amounts.

priceless hahahah

24. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

I'll have to agree that Macs don't hold their resale value as well as many people think. :(

I should know too. I just sold my base Alu MB that I bought new at the end of March together with 4GB (2GB x 2) Crucial RAM & AppleCare protection plan for only $880 (shipping included). :( I listed it at the notebookreview forums & I had to drop my price that low to even get a couple of genuine interests. :( I'm not exaggerating. That is how bad it is. :(

25. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Makes me wonder if it's HIS data. Did you get the Leopard DVDs with it?