I just bought my 27 imac. Should I return it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by misho73, Sep 26, 2014.

  1. misho73 macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2014
    I know this must have been asked so many times. But I am really confused. Now and as we are almost at the end of Sep I just purchased my first imac ever (coming from windows platform). Expecting to receive it within the coming few days. I purchased the 27 inch 3.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 3T Fusion drive, and the NVIDIA GTX 780M 4GB . It's a pricey setup topped the $3000 with taxes. Now I hear all these rumors of new update coming next month!!!! it's so annoying. Do not know what to do, should I return it and wait for the announcement in couple of weeks then wait for maybe another 3 month for the actual release??? Or should I enjoy what I just purchased and never look back?
    My concern is, with the maxed price I paid I am afraid that I might have the chance to get the 4K or 5K or whatever refresh they will offer.
    Any advice?
  2. JHankwitz, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

    JHankwitz macrumors 68000

    Oct 31, 2005
    No, you should not return it. I replace my iMac about every 3 years. I buy only after the model has been on the market for almost a year. This way I can be pretty sure that any problems of bugs have been corrected.

    Early adopters often go through high stress periods with both hardware and software, (look at what's happening with iOS 8 early adopters). I won't personally be upgrading my OS or iOS software until Yosemite releases its second update. I'll be replacing my iMac about 8 months after it comes out, configured similar to what you have. I don't need to bring added stress into my life.

    The iMac you purchased is likely more than you'll need for many years to come, especially since you equipped it well. It has proven to be an excellent model. Waiting for the first versions of the next model could become a real headache, and will likely not be much different than what you already have.
  3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000


    Dec 17, 2009
    Folsom, CA
    Agreed, do not return it. You have very nice machine and computer manufacturers are always releasing new machines so if you always wanted the latest and greatest you would never buy.

    Besides you have 2 weeks to return it, if Apple happens to release something in that time frame they will take it back for exchange.

    Besides, six months from now you will not be thinking about how much you spent, you will be thinking how much fun you are having with your new Mac.
  4. misho73 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2014
    Thank you guys. I really don't want to return it. I was waiting for that moment for a very long time. It's only i fear regrets. I don't care about the updated design. I am coming from windows based pcs those with crappy case/monitor designs. The current imac is sleek enough for me. Also i don't care about the tiny incremental processor updates where all you get is like 0.2 processor speed higher. What i fear to miss is the updated display. I am a photographer and any enhancement in screen resolution/quality is crucial to me.
    I guess (and correct me if i am wrong) that if they released a 4k or 5k ver it will be ridiculously pricy. Apple sells the 4k monitor alone for $3000 and the new 5k del will be at $2500 no way a maxed imac with such display will be less than $4000 which i cannot afford. Am i doing the right calculations? Or is there anyway that i can get a 4k or 5k imac with the budget of $3K(s) ?
  5. patricem macrumors 6502


    Nov 18, 2005
    Apple may come out with a 4k monitor to replace thunderbolt but hard to imagine them having same with entire Imac, or to do that at a price that is affordable to most people. You got a FANTASTIC set up and you will love the screen display. I would say keep it....if something better came out and you wanted it you could always resell this machine at top dollar anyway. Macs hold their value unlike windows machines. You're gonna love what you ordered !! You'll never look back.
  6. shaunp macrumors 68000

    Nov 5, 2010
    I imagine if Apple were to release a 4K iMac it will have some teething issues in the first iteration. From experience of the first Retina Macbook Pro, I can tell you that the graphics performance struggles when using mobile GPU's and if they are to cram a proper desktop GPU in there cooling would be an issue. This obsession with everything been thin is going to bite them in the long run.

    So if I were you I would stick with a product that has had time to have all of the issues ironed out and just enjoy it for a few years. Unless you are heavily into photo editing or movie production then 4K won't matter.
  7. Balckoutgr macrumors newbie

    Aug 9, 2014
    Look for about 5min a retina screen macbook pro and after that look at imac screen .
    If you eyes are ok with the result don't return it .

    4k matters even if it is just for web browsing.
  8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

    Aug 28, 2012
    Between the coasts
    No 4k iMac until a year or more after a 4k/5k Thunderbolt Display. It's simple economics. The component cost has to come way down before it makes its way into a product line that, at its highest, is a $3,000 BTO, and for which the vast majority of units sold are in the $2,000 and-under category.

    When you take the price above that, we're into the "serious computer" segment of the market, the people and businesses who are more likely to be buying Mac Pros. They're not likely to trade down on computing power to obtain a 4k display, and they're far less likely to buy an all-in-one. The first people in any organization to get a 4k display will be at the top rung - those with a true need for cutting edge. iMacs go to the lower rungs, where a great display would be a nice thing to have, if the price is right.
  9. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a


    Aug 13, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I have ordered the exact spec as you and I am excited about receiving it.

    I know an announcement of some description is just around the corner but You're a long time dead as they say. You can spend your like waiting.
  10. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030


    Sep 22, 2009
    I would return it.

    I've always regretted buying machines before a new model comes out.
  11. Roller macrumors 68020

    Jun 25, 2003
    Of course, we don't at this point know if a new model will come out soon. However, I'd be surprised if Apple announces anything before mid 2015 that will make the OP regret his decision. And, even if they do announce a higher res Mac, it's not going to be less expensive for sure.
  12. misho73, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

    misho73 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2014
    Thank you all really. I have decided to keep it after a prolonged survey (from here, other forums and even Bestbuy employees) for the following reasons:

    1- Majority agreed that it's hard to believe that iMac can get a 5k or even 4K right away. they believe that a 4K Thunderbolt monitor will come first to mainly work with the current mac pro or a 5K with refreshed mac pro and will be priced $2500+.

    2- Even the odds happened to be true and they announced a new 4k/5k iMac the base model will exceed the $2700 with basic hardware to push customers to upgrade (BTO), a strong setup can exceed the $4000 Which is above my budget.

    3- One of Bestbuy employees strongly believes that if they pushed this model soon (which he doubts) they will do it the way they introduced the rMBP, they kept the MBP line in stores same price and priced the rMBP premium for a while. so if I can't afford the new line and the current setup is still on shelve at the same price then no regrets.

    4- Finally, I have been in this overwhelming mode for very long by now. Honestly I can't go through this again.

    I hope I am taking the right decision
    thanks everyone for your help and I am happy to finally join this cult.
  13. rei101 macrumors 6502a

    Dec 24, 2011
    Look at the Mac Mini, at my company we got 6 maxed out in March, we were expecting the new ones to come out any time.... still waiting.

    We can sell them today still because the project is basically over and the new ones... no sign of them.

    So... when I buy something from Apple I do it with the aspects I need, then I do not care about the rest. What I usually do is to but the last version of the line that has been discontinued, it is always better than the first version of the new line.
  14. misho73, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

    misho73 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2014
  15. WilliamG macrumors G3

    Mar 29, 2008
  16. JHankwitz macrumors 68000

    Oct 31, 2005
    Every machine you purchase will always be before the next model that comes out. As stated in a post earlier, you've put yourself in a mental no-win situation. You will never be happy with what you buy. You will always have a future filled with regret unless you change your perspective.
  17. Serban Suspended

    Jan 8, 2013
    Return it. It will be a new imac next month at least with thunderbolt 2, new gpu chips and probably 5k
  18. Roller macrumors 68020

    Jun 25, 2003
    Now that rumors of an imminent iMac update are out, it might not be a bad idea for the OP to return his computer, assuming that can be done at minimal or no cost and inconvenience and if it'll make him feel better about his choice. We should know what's up Apple's sleeve in three weeks. As I said before, if they announce a high res iMac, it will be more expensive than the current top of the line, and we don't know what GPU they'll use. But the current models will still be available, and he may very well end up with pretty much what he has now.
  19. Gti5notrkt macrumors newbie

    Sep 20, 2012
    As a photographer 100% return it. You will be kicking yourself when they release an updated iMac with a 5k screen for ~$500 more than the non-retina version. For the iMac spec you mentioned I'm guessing a price point of $3,400-3,600 with the better display.

    my 0.02c

  20. misho73 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2014
    I Guess I am taking my chances by keeping what I have.... I live in Canada. so with prices you just suggested will top $4000 with taxes. It will be above my budget. I received mine yesterday and I love it. No looking back.
  21. Balckoutgr macrumors newbie

    Aug 9, 2014
    Yes but the similar priced new model will probably have better specs ..
  22. definitive macrumors 68000


    Aug 4, 2008
    it's up to you, but just know that you paid $3k for the last year's model.
  23. misho73, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

    misho73 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2014
    I am coming from a pc bg. Where u buy a computer when u need one at any time of the year. No such a thing like a (year model) or a (design) . Only u pay for the suitable hardware available in the market no matter when was it released. So what do u suggest? No body can confirm when is the next imac coming. It's uncommon for me to wait month(s) to buy a computer when i need one. As i estated above. All what concerns me is the screen resolution. the only element that really matters to me since it's abuilt-in element. I Don't care much about design, as matter of fact. I liked the 2012 design more. And also i do not care about the extra 0.2 Ghz processor speed they might add. The huge regret will be the 5k screen (and only if came affordable) other than this. I am happy with what i got.
    Thanks all for replies. They really helped me to take the proper decision.
  24. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

    Aug 28, 2009
    Disagree, the non retina iMac screen is fine for photo processing. I'm using an early '09 whitebook that I kept as a spare whilst my 15" rMBP is in for repairs (new logic board). It's not as good, but does the job just fine. A 27" iMac will be more than adequate.
  25. misho73 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 26, 2014
    OMG it's marvelous. I look to my old 23" sumsung screen beside it and i figured out what have I missed all these years

Share This Page