iPhone 11 I Just broke my screen

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
North Country (way upstate NY)
Cripes on a cross..

I just purchased AC+ with loss and theft and within 5 minutes I knocked the silly phone off my bed side table and cracked the screen o_O

This isn't a rant or any real criticism but I've not broken a phone in decades and now my 48hr old phone needs to go to Frankfurt to get it's screen replaced...call me frustrated

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
North Country (way upstate NY)
Title should have been:
These Things are Too Fragile

I guess the are but it's not my habit to break phones
Aren't you glad you spent the extra money to purchase AC+? Enjoy your trip to Frankfurt. :)
Yes I am..It's just something I didn't want to have to do

===

I can't wait until may case and screen protector get here....now the question is do I tell my wife :oops:

Reactions: Super Spartan

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
Having a shock absorbing case and tempered glass screen protector helps a lot at least for me. Crap happens, good thing you have apple care

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Moral of the story..... make sure you get AppleCare as soon as possible, you never know when or how soon an accident is going to happen. :D

Sorry about the turn around wait time. Hope they gave you a replacement loaner phone while you wait.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2019
Moral of the story..... make sure you get AppleCare as soon as possible, you never know when or how soon an accident is going to happen. :D

Sorry about the turn around wait time. Hope they gave you a replacement loaner phone while you wait.
In my situation I have 40 days or so left to get AppleCare so let’s say I cracked the screen tomorrow and then call them up to put on AppleCare. How would they be the wiser? Since they really can’t diagnose that issue over the phone

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Because you are a person of integrity and honor ?
This possibility has probably been assessed by Apple.

I mean come on, AppleCare+ for the 11 costs $249 + incident fee. A regular screen replacement costs $199, a device replacement $399. So it’s not like Apple (or you) is getting shafted - either way, in case of 1 hull loss incident, you’re paying Apple $350+.

so if they give you the option, why not?

Reactions: psac

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
It’s the nature of our own mistakes that we accidentally make inadvertently . It’s also why insurance exist for a reason. It happens.

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
In my situation I have 40 days or so left to get AppleCare so let’s say I cracked the screen tomorrow and then call them up to put on AppleCare. How would they be the wiser? Since they really can’t diagnose that issue over the phone
They can and do diagnose over the phone. They remote into your phone and run a diagnostic check. If anything comes up funky they will decline your phone.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2019
They can and do diagnose over the phone. They remote into your phone and run a diagnostic check. If anything comes up funky they will decline your phone.
So what you’re telling me is if there is a crack in the screen the iPhone will tell them? Doesn’t seem plausible. Do you have a case in point?

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
So what you’re telling me is if there is a crack in the screen the iPhone will tell them? Doesn’t seem plausible. Do you have a case in point?
From my understanding Apple is able to see when the phone has registered a drop due to the accelerometer (spelling?) readings. Or something like that.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
From my understanding Apple is able to see when the phone has registered a drop due to the accelerometer (spelling?) readings. Or something like that.
Just thinking out loud - there could be a lot of drops/falls that didn't actually break the rear glass or display. A lot of factors could come into play - what surface it fell on, what kind of case it was in, pure luck. I have no idea what Apple can actually 'see' with remote diagnostics, but it's an interesting topic.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Just thinking out loud - there could be a lot of drops/falls that didn't actually break the rear glass or display. A lot of factors could come into play - what surface it fell on, what kind of case it was in, pure luck. I have no idea what Apple can actually 'see' with remote diagnostics, but it's an interesting topic.
Again, I don't know the extent of what they can "see" but there must be a reason they run the remote diag. If a drop was enough to break the screen, there's always a chance something internal could be wrong as well. Just saying...

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Other morale of the story for the OP is get that bad boy in a case (and screen protector) as soon as you get the new one/repair! I just came back from the Apple Store to get a new battery in my old 8, and the seat across from me was first an X cracked so bad it wouldn't unlock and face ID wouldn't work, followed by another super-cracked 7 or 8.

Cases, people!!!!

Reactions: DevinNj

Burebista

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2019
Other morale of the story for the OP is get that bad boy in a case (and screen protector) as soon as you get the new one/repair! I just came back from the Apple Store to get a new battery in my old 8, and the seat across from me was first an X cracked so bad it wouldn't unlock and face ID wouldn't work, followed by another super-cracked 7 or 8.

Cases, people!!!!
It would be the morale of the story only if he wanted to save up some cash by not buying a case and -boom - got punished for it. We don’t know that however. Many people just hate cases because they ruin the visual aesthetics, ergonomics and tactile sensations of using the phone. To the point that they aren’t getting the user experience they payed that pile of cash for in the first place. So they’re willing to risk some more but enjoy using what they purchased.

Reactions: Eugr