Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
Again, I don't know the extent of what they can "see" but there must be a reason they run the remote diag. If a drop was enough to break the screen, there's always a chance something internal could be wrong as well. Just saying...
Well, they have full access to camera and audio 24/7 so anytime they want to peek in, can go right ahead. Kidding- or no? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: DevinNj

AndyR

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
I dropped my XS a couple of weeks back, and it landed on the door frame between two rooms. Had a case and Invisible Sheild Tempered Glass screen protector. The screen protector cracked but the phone screen looked unharmed but it was totally black. Don't have AC+ on it so it cost NZD$540 for Apple to replace it.

Glad it was fixed but my next phone will be a cheaper model. Thats so dang expensive for a screen.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Cripes on a cross..

I just purchased AC+ with loss and theft and within 5 minutes I knocked the silly phone off my bed side table and cracked the screen o_O

This isn't a rant or any real criticism but I've not broken a phone in decades and now my 48hr old phone needs to go to Frankfurt to get it's screen replaced...call me frustrated

Ouch! Sorry to hear that! At least you got AC+

I had my phone fully insured from the day I got it as my case had not yet arrived and I had not ordered a screen protector.

I do not want to go through the process of having a screen replaced though as I always wonder if the phone will retain its full IP68 protection after a screen replacement, as it’s all down to how rushed the job is and it just ain’t the same once they have opened it up and worked on your phone.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I dropped my XS a couple of weeks back, and it landed on the door frame between two rooms. Had a case and Invisible Sheild Tempered Glass screen protector. The screen protector cracked but the phone screen looked unharmed but it was totally black. Don't have AC+ on it so it cost NZD$540 for Apple to replace it.

Glad it was fixed but my next phone will be a cheaper model. Thats so dang expensive for a screen.

yikes!!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Ouch! Sorry to hear that! At least you got AC+

I had my phone fully insured from the day I got it as my case had not yet arrived and I had not ordered a screen protector.

I do not want to go through the process of having a screen replaced though as I always wonder if the phone will retain its full IP68 protection after a screen replacement, as it’s all down to how rushed the job is and it just ain’t the same once they have opened it up and worked on your phone.
Do you spend a lot of time in the water with your phone? I have always (and WILL always) treated my phones like electronic devices (i.e. not get it wet). If there were some sort of coverage through Apple it would be different but you're left high and dry if their proclaimed water resistance fails and I'd rather not take the risk.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013

Dammmmnnn!!!!
8238b7484db7a12b74f7905cba5f1b82.jpg

So sorry to hear that man!

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
AppleCare causes carelessness.

Here’s the problem..this is the first phone I’ve broken since 1993. I’m not careless and I don’t generally complain I just thought it was funny the just after I bought protection for stuff like this it happened. New phone, new job, new place soon, back home after being gone for a couple years and I break a phone...

If I believed in signs I’d be terrified right now

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Do you spend a lot of time in the water with your phone? I have always (and WILL always) treated my phones like electronic devices (i.e. not get it wet). If there were some sort of coverage through Apple it would be different but you're left high and dry if their proclaimed water resistance fails and I'd rather not take the risk.

Every now and then I am at a pool party and also have friends with a toddler, so one never knows what to expect, lol.

I have full comprehensive insurance that also covers liquid damage, but would prefer that I know my phone is always fine.

Off topic: I wrote the above response about 4-5hours ago on my XS Max with Tapatalk, forgot to hit Reply, went out to go watch a movie, had Apple Music playing in my car, did a bunch OG phone calls, browsed Instagram ,Twitter and Facebook quite a bit while waiting for my mate, posted an Insta Story, watched the movie (Doctor Sleep, very weird and interesting, give it a watch if you have watched the original The Shining) messaged on WhatsApp and then drove back home, discovered there’s power outages in our area, made a phone call, did more WhatsApp texts, more Instagram browsing, some Tweeting, some Safari web browsing etc... come back and BOOM the above is still sitting as I left it. This is on iOS 13.2, seems my multitasking is working fine until I bring in Youtube.

Reactions: newellj

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
This is the reason I don’t like to do installment plans. I pay full price and at least have 90-120 free credit card accidentals damage/theft protection with my Amex card.

u pay for monthly installment. Credit card purchase won’t be able to cover for accidents in first 90-120 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.