I just cracked my iPhone 6+ screen...where..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Legion103, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Legion103 macrumors regular

so pissed right now...

dropped it as I was getting out of my car and the screen cracked. Will Apple fix it? If so, how much?

2. noobinator macrumors 601

3. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Oh no… (pics please). A few days ago, I was gassing up my parents SUV and my 5S slipped out of my slippery-polyester track jacket. I thought the pockets were deep enough which is why I didn't' zip it up. Luckily, the phone hit the running board/side step before landing on the pavement. It was about a foot up from the running board when it hit glass down. I examined it under fluorescent lighting and outdoor sun conditions and not one crack, scratch or nick. Ugh! The feeling…

5. fiddysent macrumors member

fiddysent

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I assume spiderweb/multiple cracks? If it's a single hairline crack, they'd replace it under warranty regardless of the cause.

7. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

8. CelestialToys macrumors 6502

It would be wise.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes please. We do not need another 7 page thread on how photos were lost because they didn't back up (inside joke) ;)

10. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

my phone backs up automatically every night...I don't need to do anything else, correct?

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I'd back up right before going in because otherwise you'd lose everything since the last backup when you restore, unless you don't care about keeping messages since the night before.

12. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

but my last backup will be tomorrow morning...

what will I lose from tomorrow morning until tomorrow night?

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Members who've gone through screen replacements should chime in. I have no experience with this. Restoring may not necessarily be required if it's just a screen replacement.

14. Legion103 thread starter macrumors regular

15. noobinator macrumors 601

You will lose whatever you added between your last backup and when they change the screen (if you don't backup and they wipe your phone - which I'm not sure will happen).

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

considering most people use icloud backups and have the phone set to backup when plugged in and on wifi, you are probably safe. Unless you downloaded a ton of apps and have an important text there is nothing you have to do.

They are not going to wipe your phone to replace the screen. They will just power it down.

17. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

Correct. If it's just a screen replacement you don't have to worry about losing anything.

However, when I cracked the screen on my 6, they ended up replacing the entire phone because the screen was irreparable. They didn't explain why but they still only charged me the screen replacement fee.

In other words, better safe than sorry. Just back it up to iCloud while you're waiting for your appointment.

18. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Interesting that it's only $129.

I got AppleCare+ for $99 or whatever, and yesterday morning, I cracked the screen on my iPhone 6. I went to the Apple Store, paid my $79 for a new phone, and I was pretty proud of myself for getting that new replacement device!

But now... $129... vs... $99 + $79, now I feel less special.

Although, I guess my warranty does go up to two years instead of one, etc. So there are some other perks. And if I back my car over it, it's still only $79. Oh well. whatever.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not to mention that you can double the warranty free of charge if you purchase it with an Amex card or equivalent that offers extended warranty coverage. But then again, if you charge both the iPhone and AC+ to the same Amex card, you'd get three years of warranty coverage instead of the usual two years.

20. ssl0408 macrumors 6502a

ssl0408

Applecare+ is silly to me. I guess it's for clumsy people though. I don't use a case and I have never broken an iPhone.

21. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Your last backup will be sufficient. You won't need to do a restore of any kind for a screen replacement. I just had one done last week,

22. nathan.kindle macrumors member

Lol just when you get a little to cocky, you drop or break your phone, I have my carriers insurance because iPhones seem to get stole quite a bit and I like the replacement aspect of my carriers support. For me I haven't had a broken phone from a drop but I have dropped my phone and was lucky it turn out ok but others in my house seem to make a annual tradition of losing/dropping/ breaking their phones so I keep insurance on all the lines.

23. technosix macrumors 6502a

My brother had his broken iPhone 6+ display replaced using the genuine Apple part, by our local independent iPhone repair shop. They made an appointment so he could wait, it only cost $68. They did a perfect job, it's impossible to tell it was replaced. Pretty impressive.

24. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

I didn't lose data when they replaced my display.