I Just Don't Get It...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by htownmade1984, Sep 14, 2010.

1. htownmade1984 macrumors regular

This may have already of been discussed on here, or it may even be in the wrong area. But I am amazed at how much stuff a JB iPhone can do that a stock one can't.

I don't get why Apple won't just release all of these features stock with their iPhones. I'm sure their Devs can make the same tweaks. Apple hates JBing, that would put a stop to it, as well as make the iPhone the clear cut best phone on the market. At least in my opinion.

2. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

We kindly disagree

Steve

Sent from an iPhone 9G

Just playing, a lot of the tweaks the jailbreak community develop are very helpful and useful. I also can't blame apple for not doing all this, I company can't think of every tweak and it might be within their ios development cycle. Mind you a lot of things at all go through years of development and follow predefined cycles and such.

Anyways I tend to think of it as following, if apple developed all these tweaks, jailbreak community wouldn't exist and those hard working developers wouldn't have at way of earning money.

Thanks
    AE

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to remember, Apple could completely stop all jailbreaking if they wanted to. But they are keeping it around because it's where all the fun new firmware features come from. Example: Summerboard back on 1.0-1.1.2, it provided a scrolling screen for the otherwise static homescreen. Apple made it's own scrolling homescreen in 1.1.3.

4. suade8880 macrumors member

Come on this is Apple we're talking about. They are master at slow boating features and hardware(components not hardware design) on about everything that they do and yet we are still on board with them. Its a trap that they are so good at doing it keeps us interested and always on our feet about what they will be doing next. If Apple give us everything that we want now all one slam dunk..then Apple is just obsoleting themselves for future interests.

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

No they couldn't

6. htownmade1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, u are completely right. This isn't something that's new with Apple. And yeah, it is in their best interest to do it this way. I only know a handful of people with JB iphones. Others don't know what it is, and a lot of people i know are scared to do it.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They can. Remember that they own the 99.9% of the iOS ecosystem. If they wanted to, they could make iOS 5 verify itself once a week with via iTunes 10.2 to check for jailbroken activity or include the checking as part of the OS itself. Just remember someday, jailbreaking will no longer be possible and when they say comes I will be very unhappy.

8. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yes and as part of the jailbreak the dev team can patch out this check. Simple. Understand that an OS is millions of lines of code. No programmer can write bug free software, especially on that scale. Hackers will ALWAYS find a bug to exploit. Unlocks are much harder to find because the baseband instruction set is so small that there are very very few bugs. Apple can try as hard as they want but they'll never write bug free code and any jailbreak checks will be simply patched out.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They can't patch out a hardware based check. Like a pre-bootrom check, that is a few lines of heavily debugged code.

10. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

If they seriously wanted to they couldn't do it? Or at least make it more trouble than its worth?

* How about if they made OS updates automatic and mandatory, they could do that or block iTunes for phones with out the most recent iOS.

* What if the update included something that detected jb programs and bricked a phone.

* How hard would it be for Apple to buy Cydia, almost no effect on their budget and just the money made back from selling similar programs through iTunes would pay for that many times over. Someone may make another one but it would take a while. Rock was pretty awesome but still couldn't stay afloat

I'm sure people more versed and creative can come up with other restrictions. I'm sure Apple both likes integrating developments found and proven in the jb community and not having to provide tech support to people that fu their system with iFile.

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Even a hardware based solution would require a check of the software side. And if you've compromised that we can fake the result. And an intrusive check like verifying your phone with iTunes won't happen, would be irritating for end users. At the end of the day if your hardware is in someone else's hands consider it compromised.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Apple don't need to expend time, money, developers and Engineers on that, the mobile market is such a gold mine right now, they need to focus on making money and not stopping a few script kiddies jailbraking iphones

13. Claude626 macrumors 6502

Much thanks for the hardest laugh of the day, kind sir. :p

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You're welcome, you should check out some of my other threads.

But it is true. Apple could stop all jailbreaks with mandatory OTA firmware updates, firmware expiration lockouts that are hardware based, enforcing the date signed part of the SHSH blobs, making old versions of iTunes cease to work until updated, and they could brick old iDevices that can't run the latest versions.

Of course all of this is theoretical and will probably never happen, with the exception of the enforcing of the date signed SHSH blobs.

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

iOS is NOT....build in to be update OTA (unlike Android, that is Patch and updated OTA). So your logic is really flawed.

Jailbrake cannot be stop, I give you that there are some thing that Apple can do to make it harder (and the will, like the SHSH system they implemented).

16. kre62 macrumors 68000

And the jailbreakers would patch out all that stuff...

17. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

All overridden by simple hacks. OTA Updates? Just report back to Apple that it's already been updated. Make iTunes stop working? Just hack it to think it's already the latest version. Hell, just block iTunes from being able to contact Apple.

Yeah sure, let's brick all old iPods/iPhones. That will make people REAL happy.

Oh sure they could store the system in some sort of read only memory, but then they couldn't update it themselves. An iPhone 4 launched with iOS version 4.0.1 would forever be stuck at that version.

Never say never. No matter how much time Apple puts into securing something, someone will always find a way around it.

18. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Seeing as Apple prefer installing the whole OS image rather than patching in updates I don't think OTA 600mb updates are feasible. Firmware expiration would be hugely irritating. What if you like your current OS? Does your phone just stop working? What if you're abroad with no access to a computer? This won't happen. Stricter signature checks are possible, and probably likely. Bricking devices on purpose is not.

All Apple can do is make it harder and harder to jailbreak but they can't stop it and they know it.

19. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Don't Sync it?? How many people would jb if they could not download any new legit apps or get podcasts, or iTunes, or sync movies, ect.

I understand that people more tech savvy than myself could possibly find workarounds for the many parts of iTunes but that kinda goes back to the more trouble than its worth point. I have a pretty good amount of cash invested in Cydia apps and even I wouldn't jb if Apple was constantly trying to find ways to brick my phone.....

""That makes no sense, that is why is a cat and mouse game, in order to do that they will have to know how it was jail broken, and them once Apple does that, Hackers and be prepare for it...""

Maybe I'm not making my point well but if Apple were to do searches for the top 50 jb apps and disable the phone if any are detected it would be to much risk for most people. Again this is assuming that most people are going to want to sync and apple made iOS updates a mandatory part of that.

I don't think they will do it, why would they? My point is that the jb community is, for the most part, a good thing for Apple. Just saying they could make to hard for novas users.

20. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I honestly rarely hook up to sync.

In fact, about the only time I do is to ensure I have something resembling a backup should something go south (which has happened once or twice). Everything else on my phone that I care about is synced OTA. My phone is too important to me as a communication and organization device, so I don't use it for things like movies or music, and the last thing I need is a dead battery after listening to music that is already on my computer, so I may be a rarity.

21. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You can buy the App on your computer and Manually install the IPAs... No need to sync, besides...no need to write a testament, that was just a quick idea i got in a few second just to make the point to the you, that there is always a work around.

22. Claude626 macrumors 6502

Just like Cydia as an alternative to the App Store. There would be an alternative to iTunes. Why don't we have one already? Because there wasn't a need for one.(and I think there have been a few programs out that can manage iDevices.)

23. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I see now, what you really want to say is Apple can stop "Casual Jailbreakers", Them yes I agree, that's what they try to do with the whole SHSH and As i siad before, I am sure they will try again.

Casual jailbrakers to be honest hurt Apple, becasue they mess up phones and Also hurt the Jailbreake community making it look like the Dangerous, Unreliable and it is just to Pirate Apps.

24. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I know buddy, sorry I can be long winded :rolleyes:

In the end we agree, jb is good! :D (if you dont fu your phone)

25. silroc macrumors 6502

silroc

Hacking satellite cards used to be easy and last I recall directv stopped that stuff hardcore..... I don't know if it is still the case. But to me I bet apple could kill jb if they devoted the time and money.... (or make it so annoying most casuals like me would quit)