I just e-mailed "The National"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crazylegsmurphy, Oct 9, 2008.

1. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Well,

I have had it. I was thinking about it today after my second day off work waiting for UPS to arrive with my 3rd replacement iPhone and I have simply had enough. It's no secret that this will be my last Apple product, but I decided to take it one step further.

I just sent an lengthy e-mail to "The National" which is Canada's leading national news program outlining my issues/thoughts and giving reference to all your posts/issues on this, and other forums.

I'll let you know if I hear a reply, but I encourage you all to consider doing the same in your home country. Write up a good letter with references to your own issues, and back it up with links to these and other forums.

It seems Apple doesn't feel like being open with what is going on, so perhaps pressure from the news will help loosen some lips.

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Yeah, the FBI have been alerted. Or, I guess, the RCMP, in your case.

3. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Wow, I am on my original two 3G iPhones and I couldn't be happier. The iPhone is neraly perfect.

4. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm glad to hear that, unfortunately I (and others) haven't been so lucky. It's just absurd to assume that two (or more) screwed up phones happening to one person is simply coincidence.

5. threezero macrumors 6502

i'm on my OG 3g iphone too. Sure its not perfect its got dust under screen and a little light leak but otherwise its perfect. I have learn to live with the defects and 2.1 has been great for me.

6. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Dude, why would you encourage everyone else to do the same thing... just because YOU'RE having issues?

There are 2 iphones in my household, and both work flawlessly. We couldn't be happier. Sounds like you either have the worst luck EVER or you're helping to cause some of the issues you're having.

7. Doju macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Canadian iPhone user here. Couldn't be happier.

Sorry to hear about your problems though but don't assume it's mutual with all of us. Good luck with your issues!

8. DanBUK macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Try
    a) getting ups to deliver to ur work. Then you won't need 2 days off;
    b) lowering ur expectations for perfection a notch;
    c) stop breaking ur phone u putz.

For what it is worth, I think it is not "absurd" for 2 phones belonging to the same person to break. It is either unlucky or a property of the owner.

Written on a perfect (unlocked 1st gen iPhone.)

9. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

You must not read the papers much?
    Many plights similar to yours have been posted on national papers (globally) in the past and many web sites (duh we are on one now).

Perhaps you can brief us on your issues with the iPhone, you may garner some sympathy that way.

On a side note, WTH wait on UPS they will leave a pick up note or have it dropped @ a trustworthy neighbor/relative/landlord?

10. Helianthus macrumors member

Same here...

11. alFR macrumors 68020

Wow, I didn't know. News of your abandonment of the Apple platform has yet to spread internationally, it seems.

Since we all know that forums are completely representative of the population at large and aren't biased at all towards people with problems (or conversely extremely good experiences), I'm sure they'll set their best investigative reporters to work trawling MacRumors ASAP.

I would, but "My iPhone is fine, thanks" wouldn't really be considered newsworthy here. Maybe there is less other news in Canada?

Conspiracy!! Tinfoil hats on lads!

12. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Hold the front page - I think we have a story that's more important than the credit crunch...:rolleyes:

13. DigMe macrumors 6502

Oh no! He's gone to the press!! The secret it is out...Jobs will surely deploy the AppleAssassins now.

14. Aurial macrumors 6502

Well, as much fun as you're all having taking the Pi$$ out of the OP, there was another thread on here I noticed a little while ago with some chap on his 5th replacement. I do seem to see a lot more 'this is wrong, will they replace it' and 'cracks & other faults' threads on here than I've ever noticed on forums for other phones I've owned.

Personally my phone is fine, but if I was now waiting for my second replacement as the OP is I wouldn't think that was acceptable at all, and its not.

Apple fans seem to be so rabid that they turn on anyone who tries to complain about any of their products being sub-standard or worse than any other.

Let the guy complain if he's been hard done by, and good luck to him I say!

15. alFR macrumors 68020

Surely you mean iAssassins?

I think the average iPhone customer perhaps demands more from their phone than the average Nokia customer, for example (due to the perception that Apple produces premium products and thus they should be of higher quality?).

If anything I'd say they are more likely to complain about cosmetic defects that wouldn't even be noticed, never mind returned for replacement, in other brands. Of course this may not be the case for the OP, as we don't know what his phone's defects were.

16. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

"No one knows or cares that this will be my last Apple product."

There, I fixed it for you.

17. DigMe macrumors 6502

Yeah, there are a lot of those threads here. There is no way to know whether or not that is representative of all iPhone owners experiences. Often people with problems seek out a forum where they can share their problem. As far as vs. other phones you'd have to compare how many iPhone have been sold vs. the other phones and you also have to consider that the iPhone is the type of thing that is so specialized and unique that there are bound to be more people involved in discussing it in an online community such as this.

Consider the context. I think everyone has the right to complain and there have been many valid compaints about the iPhone. I think we're ragging on the context of this complaint moreso than the complaint...the context being "I'm going to the press!" which is pretty hilarious.

Right...my bad.

You quoted the wrong guy!! I didn't say that.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Surely, it is a conspiracy at the highest levels of the Government. Or maybe Steve Jobs opened up a Canadian phone book and picked you out at random, just to mess with you. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get my tinfoil hat.:rolleyes:

19. kes601 macrumors regular

And why would you encourage me to do this if I am happy with my phone?

20. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

My impression of what the intern at the national does when he reads your email...

[​IMG]

21. edrex macrumors member

It seems like Apple will replace just about anything, which will lead to just about anyone finding just about anything wrong with thier phones to get a new one. If Apple was much more strict on what would be replaced under warranty I think we would see way less threads about the possibilty of replacement and many more people just dealing with the minor problems.

As far as people with multiple replacements, I have to wonder why lightning would strike one person so man times? Of course, no one would admit that they are doing anything which might affect thier phones... but still, it seems the most logical theory (to me, at least) is something going on with the user.
    As a personal example, sometimes when I pull my phone out of my pocket there is slight built up condensation on the screen from being in my sometimes hot and humid pocket. This same water vapor could, in theory, make its way into the phone and screw something up. Do I blame the problem on my pocket or the iPhone? Well, if I want a new phone, you sure as hell won't hear me explaining the ins and outs of sweat and humidity.

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm on my 3rd iPhone too. I'm glad Apple happily exchanges them, without no fuss.

Suck it up, Francis.

23. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, Well.... look how many loyal Apple fans suddenly come out of the woodwork when someone actually does something other than just post yet another thread complaining about their phone, but just quietly going about getting a replacement.

To set the record straight. It's all fine and dandy that many of you must chalk it up to me doing something wrong to the phone because of course it couldn't be any other reason, and of course it couldn't be because Apple is making a junk product in mass production and caring more about selling units than making a quality product.

If you think it's a matter of how I treat my electronic devices let me remind you that I have only had an iPhone since September 15th, 1008. I am now getting my 3rd iPhone because when I open the package they are flawed from the start. If you think that my situation is an isolated incident, then my friends you need to take a few moments and read a few forums before you go posting about how I must have, "the worst luck ever!"

For those that say that forums aren't a good representation of the general population, you're correct...usually they're not because what you'll typically see is a bunch of random topics about random one off problems that seem completely atypical of any other problem.

In the case of the iPhone 3G you'll notice that many of the people who are complaining or having issues are having the SAME issues in the same places. Not only that, but it would seem that the population of people having these issues is growing as the frequency of the posts are becoming more and more.

The reason that I went to "the press" is because in all my time buying electronic devices I have never had to spend this much time dealing with defects. At most, if I have had an issue with something I have simply returned it to the store and was able to walk away with a new product which in most cases I never have any issues with.

On the rare occasion when I have had multiple issues with a product, I have been able to simply walk back into the store, and get a full refund and move on.

I don't have that ability in this case. I spent $350 + 3 year contract for a product that I can't return. The rules of the contract/Apple state that after 30 minutes of talk time I can no longer return the phone or contract and must buy it out, or live with it.

Since day one I have had to deal with light leaks, cracks, camera not working, misaligned bezel, sunken glass, and a few software related things. I am now currently on my third replacement (which to answer your question I can't get them to deliver to my work because my work involves me traveling around the city).

I'm going to directly address the following post because it kinda sums up what many others are saying here.

A) This isn't just about two days off. This is about all the time I have spend on the phone telling the same story over and over. About the time I waited a two weeks ago for UPS only to call Rogers back and have them say, "Oh sorry, we canceled the order because it was the wrong phone...we were waiting for you to call back so we could set up a new replacement"

It's about the time I have had to spend researching this issue to make sure it wasn't something I might be doing, or to simply become better informed. It's about the 3 hour one way trips to the Apple store to ask questions regarding the problems.

Quite simply it's about the fact that this phone has cost me more in both time and money than it has benefited me. I haven't really even been able to use my phone because (like now) a glitch in the Rogers system shuts my current SIM card off for three days while the other phones have been in transit.

How much time can one person be expected to spend calling, waiting, deleting data, reinstalling the phone, packing it, calling UPS back for a pick up time, waiting for UPS, driving around to stores, and such before it simply isn't worth it?

That is simply bull. Apple doesn't get special treatment simply because they have fancy looking products. They don't get to design something that isn't functional yet still be able to charge $350 for it.

It's not about perfection, it's about a certain standard based on the cost. A few years back I bought a Creative Zen MP3 player and so did my friend. We never even thought about how "perfect" they were because they looked and functioned as expected (for the $370 price tag). In fact I sold mine on ebay not even three days ago and it barely had a scratch.

Not only that, but I have dozens of electronic equipment in my place that I don't even question because they have worked perfectly from day one. Why should Apple be any different? Would I be complaining so much if the phone was free like some are with other mobile plans....probably not as I really didn't put anything out of my own pocket to own it.

But for a company who's slogan is, "it just works" it is really disappointing when the product you've spent $300 dollars on doesn't work, is built like crap not once, but twice.

For anyone of you who have paid that money and are simply content to drool over your new phone then good on you. I'm not here to tell you what level of satisfaction you should have or how much your money is worth to you, but in my case Apple doesn't get special treatment and I have no loyalty to the company...I simply want what I paid for and I don't think that is an unreasonable thing to ask.

Why is it that when someone has an issue it must automatically be their fault? Lets be honest here, why in the world would I go and buy an iPhone with my own money, sign a 3 year contract, and then abuse my phone to the point where I have to send it back not once, but twice?

Why would (if I were to blame) I e-mail a national news agency and encourage them to investigate this issue if I were the one breaking my phones?

Come on people!

Because the iPhone is a mobile phone I should expect that I should be able to take it out of the box, put it in my pocket, use it occasionally, plug it in to charge it and repeat that process. To me, that sounds like a pretty reasonable request from a mobile phone.

I should be able to plug in the headphones that came with the phone and not have the plastic break between the jack and the bezel. I should be able to plug in the USB charger without hairline cracks forming. I should be able to hold the phone in my hand without a sharp corner of a misaligned bezel threatening to cut me. I should be able to put the phone in my pocket without fear that the gap on the side letting light out is going to gather dust over time and kill the electronics inside.

Simply, I expect a $350 ($755 retail) phone to be built with enough quality that I can use it in a reasonable manner without fear of it falling apart in my hands.

I fully expected that many of you would suddenly show up to defend the iPhone once I actually took a stand on this issue past the endless bitching on the forum, and I hope that my response here is enough to defend my position enough to avoid this post being locked due to a flame war.

For those who are having no issue with their phone, then I am truly happy for you and I hope you continue to have success with it because I don't have any malicious intent towards any of you or Apple for that matter. All I can say is that as a customer I feel I am not being satisfied with simply returning phone after phone and the more I look into it, the more I am seeing that others are having issues.....multiple issues.

If UPS shows up today with a flawless phone, then awesome...I can move on with my life....but my concern is that it won't be. My concern is that I will have to choose to either ignore the issue and give up, or go through the entire process again, and again until it's right.

24. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wow ... dude, that was a book.

Look, if you have an issue, take it to the Apple Store (don't deal with Rogers) and you'll get a new one on the spot. If they don't have any, they'll order you one and call you when it gets in. Easy.

And don't get all high and mighty on the people telling you to chill out. You're the one bitching on a forum - what do you want us to do about it? Fix the situation somehow?

I think no matter what happens with you and your "cell phone situation", you should probably follow your own advice and "move on with your life"; if only for your own blood pressure. :eek:

25. crazylegsmurphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Umm...perhaps maybe I didn't explain myself well enough and so many of you took it the wrong way.

When I said that it must be more than coincidence that I (and others) have had multiple phones with issues, I of course didn't intend it to mean it must be because someone is "out to get me!"

And honestly I think that you guys are smarter than that. I think you know very well what I meant is that if myself and others are going through similar issues with the product (when I have very little to no issues with any other products I buy), then the reason might be that a higher percentage of bad phones are in the population than one might first assume.

Realistically it simply doesn't add up that I would have two phones (some people have had up to 8 replacements) from different times break, or be defective from the start in a total of about 1 month (since Sept 15th.)

I have read the horror stories of some people getting problem phone after problem phone and I don't have the time to be dealing with this any longer. Not only that, but I am leaving for a year of traveling and I bought the iPhone because I thought it would be a good idea to keep in touch....right now, I can't even rely on the damn thing when I don't take it out of my house let alone bringing it around the world.