I Just Filed My Taxes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jnesbitt82, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

I received my W-2 around 3pm today and I just finished e-filing. I think this is the earliest I've ever filed in my life. Now, back to college homework.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Show off!:eek:

Congratulations! I hope you are getting a refund.;)

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Good for you! My wife usually starts doing a rough-in with ours in December, but my employer typically takes all January to get me my W-2.

4. Jnesbitt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Thankfully, we are getting a refund. Close to $8,000 with state included. I think that's the largest refund we've ever had. I didn't even get that much when I deployed to Iraq. I can finally get my thunderbolt monitor!:D

----------

I am fortunate enough to be able to access my W2 online. The company released them today.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You should adjust your withholdings so you have access to that over the course of the year, that is over $600 a month.

6. Jnesbitt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

True, but it won't matter much now. I had heart surgery in June of last year and I've been on medical leave since. Now I'm in college full time focusing on a programming degree.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have mine 90% completed, I'm just waiting for my wife's W2's. I was able to get all the other 1099's online and so I was able to enter my deductions fairly quickly.

I want to wait until the end of January in case there's some sizable update to turbo tax. I seemed to recall them not finalizing the software until the end of the month, so to be safe I'll hold off

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm sorry to hear about your medical problems. I hope you have a complete recovery.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That explains why you filed early. I too file early because I'm expecting a refund as well.:cool:

I'm even luckier than you, since *I* do the W2 for my company. I filed on January 2; the same day I processed the W2 forms.:D The IRS might get my return before the SSA gets their copy.:p

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

I've only seen one W2 so far. I'm expecting nine W2s and five 1099s this year. Ugh. At least it's only two states this year. That's why I pay someone else to do my taxes now. It used to take me a week to go through it all.

11. Jnesbitt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

I'll be ok. I had a pulmonary embolism about a week after the surgery but no real issues since. I just need a career change.

Thats just cheating! lol

Too much work right there. lol

12. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

Work for the DOJ, normally they are pretty good about getting theirs to us sometime within the next 15 or so days. Should be able to print it off our Employee page before too much longer. Just waiting on the g/f's. Hers will be the big return. I think I may owe approximately $100-300. ;) While refunds/returns are nice, I'd rather not give them any more of my money, especially when I give them plenty of hours off the clock as it is.

13. Jnesbitt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Working for the DOJ, does that mean you use myPay and DFAS? They always had my W2 ready by January 2.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I got my W2 and 1098s from student loan interest, I'm waiting on the tax forms for my home mortgage interest, HSA and some stock sale. You think in this day and age, with the technology we have, they'd be able to generate the forms on the fly the second the clock strikes midnight on January 1st.

Oh, and also waiting on H&R Block to make Missouri available in their software.

15. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Not far behind you...I'm just waiting on a few more docs in the mail. I like to just get it out of the way. Then again, mine are always easy (single guy, no kids, etc.)

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't received all my documentation yet, so I can't file.

17. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I got my W2 and mortgage interest statement, entered those in on HR Block (I've used their free online service for many years). Still waiting on my student loan interest statement and HSA statement.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I envy you.

I have a home-based business that I run, which allows me to itemize various expenses throughout the year. Because of that, I keep nearly every receipt related to my work in it, plus mileage, so I have to tally those up, along with any home expenses, insurance, etc., before starting.

Because of that, and the fact that most common tax preparers aren't familiar with bringing that into their mix, I do my own with either TurboTax or H&R Block's tax software, and compare the two. I'm okay with spending the $60 - $80 for the Business versions of both, as they are also business expenses that could be itemized.

Long and short of it; it takes me at least 3 weeks just to get started, and the crappy part is that the Business version of H&R Block's software is only made for PCs. I'm going to be trying it with CrossOver on my Mac (CodeWeavers lists it as supported) so we'll see.

BL.

19. samiwas, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

samiwas macrumors 65816

Tell me about it. I kind of miss the days where I had one W2 and could do my tax return in half an hour. However, I wouldn't like to go back to that pay scale!

Absolutely. Last year was the first year I can remember that I didn't have to trace down a form from at least one employer. All of this is in a computer somewhere. It should take one click to generate even Wal-Mart's W2s.

Don't envy me. I do all of that as well. I am self-employed, not incorporated, and work from my home. Some work in town, lots of work out of town. So I collect all the receipts (well, I try…I'm horrible at it, though), and can write off the office portion of my home. My H&R Block person seems to get all of it and the past two years I haven't worried about anything. I drop it off to her, answer a few questions, and a few weeks later, I have my refund. It costs a pretty penny, but the lack of headache is worth it.

20. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Where in the world are you finding a tax preparer that can't handle a home office deduction?

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Quite a few in the Sacramento area, as they only think and assume that you are filing 1040A or 1040EZ, taking the money, and being done with it. That's why I went back to doing taxes myself.

BL.

22. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Crazy. Blows my mind that people would pay someone to do most returns (meaning your average married couple with a kid and a standard deduction).

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not a fan of H&R Block (the people not the software) as they seem to charge by the form, so they load up on unnecessary forms to maximize their fee.

As for tax accountants in general, I was surprised when I met my wife, she used one and he basically had her fill out a 1040 form (his "customized" survey) and then charged her hundreds of dollars to then transcribe that survey over to the 1040 - he was having her do her own taxes but use his form - crazy.

Did you try using virutalbox and windows so you can run H&R Blocks software? You'll have supply or buy your own windows license but the cost of the virtualization software is easy to swallow being free.

24. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Still waiting on a couple documents. My wife does our taxes and is leaving for China in a couple days for the New Year. I guess we'll be waiting a month or two before filing.

25. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

What's a refund :D ?

I can see while you are in college getting money back but, if you still get money back after college working full time in your career job, you are doing something wrong. Enjoy your refund now but try to arrange your taxes for no refund when you get out of college.

----------

I use H&R Block on-line every year on my Mac (OS X) to fill out my taxes. I never had any issues with it.